WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Greenwood Lake--Antons

On May 26, 2015 I completed a section hike from the Appalachian Trail Train Station in NY to DWG. For my "halftime" break I decided to spend an overnight in Greenwood, NY at Antons. Note that Matt and the staff at Antons provided great support--their special (very reasonable for NY, in my opinion) included a pick-up and drop-off at the AT, hotel room, and use of their laundry facility. In addition there are good choices for dinner and breakfast within a few minutes of the hotel.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stepinwolfe View Post
    On May 26, 2015 I completed a section hike from the Appalachian Trail Train Station in NY to DWG. For my "halftime" break I decided to spend an overnight in Greenwood, NY at Antons. Note that Matt and the staff at Antons provided great support--their special (very reasonable for NY, in my opinion) included a pick-up and drop-off at the AT, hotel room, and use of their laundry facility. In addition there are good choices for dinner and breakfast within a few minutes of the hotel.
    Will be heading up to Greenwood Lake in July 2016 to finish up what started out as a thruhike in 2010. Stayed at the Linden back then for one night, the room was clean enough but kept getting hit on by a drunk woman who was all beat up and staying long term in the next room.I walked passed her room and the door was open so I couldn't help but peek in, there must have been 100 beer cans strewn across the carpet and there was blood on the sheets She wanted cash to buy beer and offered me a f..ck in exchange. Cheap too, all she wanted was 20 bucks...if she wasn't all beat up with a black eye and really sozzled, she could have looked pretty decent. Times like that I' m glad to be happily married and I was looking forward to getting home to my family.
    One of those last nights that I "ll never forget!
    Anyway , maybe I 'll try Anton's next time if I end up staying in Greenwood Lake overnight!

Images

Good to hear.

I tried very hard to stay at Anton's a few years ago. I called the number listed in the guide and from directory assistance. No answer. After numerous attempts at calling and waiting over a half an hour, I finally walked to Anton's. The main building was locked up tight with no one around. Found a note to go to one of the rooms in the building out back for assistance. I knocked on that door - no answer. Called the cell phone number posted on the door - no answer. Finally a guy mowing the lawn asked if I needed something, I explained that I was a hiker looking for a place to stay (in case the pack didn't give me away). He wasn't an employee, just took care of the grounds. He tried to call a cell number he had - no answer.

I finally gave up, and called Breezy Point Inn and Restaurant. They had a "hiker" room available (don't remember the cost, but reasonable for the town. I had to walk about a mile and half or two miles to finally get to it. The room was totally adequate and the meal in the restaurant was delicious. The next morning, while I had some coffee and donuts they called a cab for me to take me back to the trail, cost was reasonable, even with making a stop at the Rite Aid on the way.

I was disappointed in the total lack of response and total inability to do business with Anton's since they put themselves out as service oriented. They couldn't even answer the numerous phones or staff an office. Heck of a way to run a business. Perhaps it was just a fluke or there had been some type of emergency, but the gardener didn't seem that surprised by the situation.
    Last edited by Lyle; 05-28-2015 at 16:42.

++ New Posts ++