WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Wink Resupply and Shuttle around Damascus

Hi, we're looking for someone to shuttle us and provide resupply as we're in a pretty unique situation:

We're a young family (2 adults, 2 kids- 5yo and 3yo). This will be our first year back doing long distance hiking after a 5 year hiatus (notice the correlation with our oldest's age *grin*), and we're finally getting back to a long time passion of ours. Back, pre kids, we did a half winter thru-hike in 2005 (1300mi -time off before we had to get back to work) and we've been doing back country trips ever since. Our kids have been going canoe camping since they were 8 months old, and have been doing daytripping since they could walk.... BUT... given that we'll be carrying 4 people's weight on 2 people's shoulders, and that the mini-munchkins are not mile-eating crazy beasts (we're thinking they'll be able to average 5mi/day), resupplies will be very difficult, even with towns relatively close together and not too far off the trails.

And that's where the need for someone to resupply us and shuttle my husband back to the car become key.

Does anyone know people that shuttle? We would be looking for two resupplies to an AT road crossing 5 days apart, and a shuttle for my husband to Damascus 5 days after the second resupply (I will contact interested party with dates) in the last two weeks of June. Ideally, we'd be able to contact the person the night before the resupply to arrange the location since we don't know how far we'll be able to walk. Though our kids have been raised with hiking and the woods in their blood, sometimes I feel like we're herding cats. My guess is the final distance from Damascus would be between 60mi and 120mi.

(Also, how is cell reception in that area on the AT? Ahhh, the questions and concerns we never had when it was just us.)

Thanks so much for your help!

Are you planning on hiking north or south out of Damascus?

We'll be hiking north.

In that case your best option for resupply is out of Damascus. Both Mt Rogers Outfitters and Sundog Outfitters run shuttles, MRO has prices on their website and Sundog is typically cheaper. If you make to Pearisburg, there are some good shuttles there too but not much to speak of in between. A few things you may want to consider, there is a pubic transit that runs from Mt Rogers National Recreation Headquarters (at VA16) into Marion. Not sure about the details, but may be worth looking into. Also, The Barn Restaurant at VA11 (on the trail) allows hikers to leave drop boxes.

Verizon cell coverage is pretty hit or miss (more miss) for the first 40ish miles. After that, reception is pretty good on the ridges and poor at the road crossings.

i shuttle for Sundog Outfitter and i do my own when not working there. PM me with your needs

Lone Wolf, did you get my PM?

If LW can't shuttle you, try Gypsy Dave ([email protected]). He recently shuttled me from Marion to Damascus.

Quote Originally Posted by JoGlo View Post
    Lone Wolf, did you get my PM?
    yes but too many unknowns in the plan and i can't sit around waiting on phone calls that may never come. sorry

Tiptoe, thanks for the suggestion!!

++ New Posts ++