WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default No-name knockoff of MSR rocket

Has anyone used one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Ultra...N9ZCHF49ECM446 OR: http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Bac...ct_top?ie=UTF8 Did it hold up? I'm planning to hike the Colorado Trail, and wonder if this could handle it. Thanks!

I bought one that's very similar - no brand name on mine. I had to tweak the folding arms a little bit with a file and pliers so the pot would sit flat and stable, but after that it's been a solid stove.

Journal Entries

Works great, but have not really put it through it's paces yet. I have heard positive things from those who have.

A few scouts in our troop have those. Unfortunately we've seen problems with the pizeo on some of them. Pretty much a roll of the dice if you get a good one or a bad one. I'd lean towards a non pizeo, simpler design no-name one like this if you were going that route: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00

Images

I bought one of those no-name Chinese canister stoves back in 2013 -- http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Bac...6SVRDY1WW69WBV

And there has been somewhat of an on going thread about the stoves -- http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ove?highlight=

I think that the one thing to take away on these stoves is that the piezo igniters simply suck, and I would therefore purchase one with the understanding that it is not an auto igniter.

Otherwise, at $6 to $10, they are great stoves. They are especially ideal for somone on a tight budget, kitting out kids/scouts, and those on their first hikes. I keep mine around as a hurricane preperation stove and to kit out friends when I take them on hikes.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I bought one in October of 2013...it shipped from mainland China and I didn't receive it until after Christmas, so keep that in mind if you're ordering...there are some sellers that ship from the US but they are more in the $9 to $12 range if you want it fast...if you can wait for overseas shipping you're looking in the $6 range. So far I've run 2 canisters of fuel through mine without any problems. Like others have said, don't count on the igniter working...I've always been in the habit of lighting with a lighter anyway so I don't usually remember to try the igniter.

I've used mine on weekend backpacking trips just boiling water and also used it on canoe trips where we did full scale cooking. Some have questioned whether one should depend on a piece of $6 Chinese crap when out in the woods, but none of these people have actually used the stove in question and I have yet to see where somebody reported that the stove failed on them while in the field. I think this stove is a bargain, and its cheap enough that if it does fail you aren't out much...but like I said, from all the doubts and criticism I have yet to hear somebody say "this stove blew up on me" or "I was on an overnight trip and had to eat dinner cold because the stove wouldn't work."

Thanks for the replies and the link to the other thread. Overall, the reviews seem good so I'm going to order the one that's labeled with the Electek brand name, only because it ships "Amazon Prime," and not from China directly. It's only 3 dollars more anyway, and this way I know it'll be here when I'm ready to go.

I've got one and used it for over a year. The only issue I had was the piezo igniter, which worked twice and then no more. I took mine off (the igniter) while on a multi day hike and never looked back. No tools aside from my hands were used, and removing the igniter knocks the stove weight down to 2.4oz. I used it quite a bit across a year, and had no issues with it at all. Would typically get 16 boils per small canister on trail.

u.w.

Bought two. One for both kids. 2 years later and several hikes and canoe trips they are both working great including the igniter.

I took one on 5 week long trips and a JMT thru last year and I intend on bringing that same one on my SOBO AT thru this year. Works just as well as the pocket rocket and the ignitor has not caused me any issues. Works every time. I will be keeping a spare at home just in case. I would highly recommend this stove! Good luck!

I just got one of these and it's very impressive so far. Haven't used it at all but everyone's comments helped me decide. Thanks!

Got mine yesterday to supplement our windboiler and the Pizo failed after first boil but we have an msr igniter in the gear pile so I just removed it off the stove and am taking the portable one. Boiled 12oz in 2.5 minutes with a wind screen and lid so I'll have to get use to that but saving 10 oz is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm almost done with my third canister and I've had no issues aside from the igniter as others have said. I should also mention that on canoe trips I use this to cook in a cast iron skillet...you have to get the skillet centered on the stove but it is strong enough to support that heavy pan.

I have used one on many of my bicycle trips. Always werked fine for me

Piezo lighters even on some higher priced canister stoves are sketchy. On these very cheap models even more so IMO. I don't know how anyone else feels about it but I don't like hauling a more complex stove designed with added wt/volume, no matter how minimal, that is just useless and unduly unreliable.

IMO, there are better canister stoves designs out there than what I've seen linked to on this thread that ship free originating from the U.S. being at your doorstep within 5 biz days w/ up to 2 yr guarantees that are better quality all around gas stoves in several categories(lower wt, greater heat output, lower gas usage, greater reliability, compactability, ease of shipping, guaranteed, with less complexity that can go wrong, etc) in that $10 price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Piezo lighters even on some higher priced canister stoves are sketchy. On these very cheap models even more so IMO. I don't know how anyone else feels about it but I don't like hauling a more complex stove designed with added wt/volume, no matter how minimal, that is just useless and unduly unreliable.

IMO, there are better canister stoves designs out there than what I've seen linked to on this thread that ship free originating from the U.S. being at your doorstep within 5 biz days w/ up to 2 yr guarantees that are better quality all around gas stoves in several categories(lower wt, greater heat output, lower gas usage, greater reliability, compactability, ease of shipping, guaranteed, with less complexity that can go wrong, etc) in that $10 price range.

Do tell, do tell.

I've used a tiny BRS stove that cost 12 dollars when traveling this summer and it worked perfectly. Not as durable as MSR, but if used carefully, seems like it will last just fine. I plan to take it out west this winter. In the East I use a firefly wood stove now, which is probably my favorite piece of gear. Can't describe how much I enjoy not having to take any toxic alcohol or canisters with me while hiking. The boil times with the firefly are just as good in my experience.
    IMGP0041.jpgIMGP0782.jpg

Journal Entries
    Images

Both the BRS-3000t and the oilcamp vector are great.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

One question you have to ask yourself. This probably Chinese company bought some pocket rockets, took them apart, completely ignored the copyright laws. made their own, and started selling them for 1/4 price. Sticking MSR in the butt. By buying one of these you also ignored the copyright laws. Do you feel okay about it?
    Yea! I bought one also.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    One question you have to ask yourself. This probably Chinese company bought some pocket rockets, took them apart, completely ignored the copyright laws. made their own, and started selling them for 1/4 price. Sticking MSR in the butt. By buying one of these you also ignored the copyright laws. Do you feel okay about it?
    Yea! I bought one also.
    Pure bunk and BS. What unique technology is included in the design, manufacture and use of a MSR canister stove that is not already well known and used across all stove designs that would amount to a patent infringement?
    Last edited by Tuckahoe; 11-21-2015 at 21:57.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++