WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Four Pines Hostel Newport, Va

what is the closest access to this hostel from the trail? I'm looking at resupplying there if possible.
    thanks

Journal Entries
    Images

There's a convenience store 1/4 mile down the road.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Journal Entries
    Images

Also if you're hiking nobo, Daleville 1-2 days away has a Kroger & is a "real" town I hiked from 4 Pines to Daleville in one days & I'm a section hiker.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

I'm starting in Bland Va and will be going slowly until I get my trail legs. Im looking at averaging 10 MPD at the beginning of my hike! I would like to not carry any more food than necessary to keep my pack weight down!
    My plan is to resupply in Perisburg and at Four Pines then take a zero in Daleville. That way I will only need to carry 5-6 days food or less.
    Im no spring chicken and hiking with my dog we prefer to take it easy!
    That said if we get off the trail at mile 702 is that the closest way to get to the hostel?

The hostel is just a short walk up the road where the trail crosses...there is a convenience store not too far the other way, or at least there was when I went through there. If you get a ride to the Home Place restaurant (yes, you want to do this) you can pig out there and grab a few things at the convenience store and go to a real grocery store in Daleville.

624 is road crossing.(around mile marker 700--about two trail miles past the dragons tooth) Heading nobo turn right at the road and walk 0.3 miles to the hostel or turn left and walk 0.4 to "market". Save yourself some walking though and just head straight to the hostel. They shuttle for free to the market!

Here is a map. It is true they shuttle to the market for free. In reality they have a very beat up van which they let you drive yourself. As of last summer, the windows on the van wouldn't close. I asked what I should do if it rains. They said "get wet".

Capture.JPG

The walk to the hostel is not bad. Heck, the driveway is almost as long as the road walk!

Images

NOBO, turn right at the 4 pines painted on the road (4 green triangles actually), the "official" mileage to the hostel is 0.3, plus about 0.25 up the driveway. I remember the road as standard 2 lane, but almost no shoulder. The hostel is on the left as you go up the road.
    Daily shuttle to the store, & when its open shuttle to the diner for dinner.
    Eggs are free, there is a stove & a hiker fridge (different than the one the eggs are in) with limited cookware. a Shower in the toilet room, with ONE commode. Pet friendly, beer drinking friendly. Beat Joe the owner at the Corn Hole game & get laundry free. I may be picky, but when my laundry was done, it seems they used about 1/4 box of Tide on my tiny load of clothing, there is a BIG sink in the bathroom, I'd wash (rinse) my stuff there & hang it on the lines in the bunkroom or the fence out back. $3.00 to wash, $3.00 to dry otherwise.
    There is an upstairs to the garage, & sleep shelves & places to hang in the small barn at the top of the hill. By my count, about 50 people can stay here.
    Your mail drop, if you have one is secured & you have to ask for it.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Be careful coming down Dragons Tooth, there are iron bars for hand holds and may be tough for a dog. You can see 4 Pines Hostel from I think Rawles Rest, not sure if that is the right name for that spot but you will see the hostel down below. I thought it was just fine but that was a few years ago.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

++ New Posts ++