WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Early Winters Winterlight tunnel tent

Last week I found this tent at an estate sale. Wonderful condition. From what I've read, it is from the early 80's and an early "cottage" made tent. Does anyone here have, or had one? I am having a terrible time getting the fiberglass poles apart once it's together. Just a very tight fit. Is there a trick to this?

Scribble on the mating surfaces with a soft pencil. Works like powdered graphite.

Unfortunately it's not the connection of the fiberglass poles that are tight, it's the way they fit into the sleeves of the material and then pop together. I've even cut a little off of one to allow more room to "disconnect", but still unable to maneuver.

Maybe the pole sections are not fully inserted into the ferrule therefore making the pole longer than it should be.It should insert half a way inside the ferrule.

I got it worked out... had to cut a little off each end of the fiberglass poles, probably 3/4 inch total. This allowed enough room within the length of the fabric sleeve to pull the pole apart at the center connection. Fortunately I didn't lose the nice stretch to the fabric when set up by doing this.
    I'm thinking this tent was never used and was made just a little tight. ( and I never mind modifying! ) All of the old 1/4 inch rope that was included for stake out points has been replaced with Amsteel Blue. I could see using this tent for cold weather hiking.

Nice pictures... is that a winterlight?

I did put some granite on the center connector and it does slide a lot better... thanks

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Thanks for the link Tipi… it was nice to reminisce.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

This is the Winterlight :
    EWWinterlight_zps7ef5b231.jpg
    note $347 in 1978 , about $1200 now (converted for inflation)
    Don't let anyone tell you that tents are expensive now.

The name of the 4 pole version, called Omnipotent, was the one that prompted Todd Bibler to call his shelter I .
    Stood for Impotent.
    Bibler used the same Gore Tex fabric that EW pioneered. (same green too)

Images

I've still got my Early Winters Goretix Bivy (yellow) that I got in 1978... a good company that was highly innovative.

And Franco is right, gear back then, adjusted for inflation, was far more expensive than today.

I bought one in Seattle, just as the main Early Winters store was closing shop for the final time. I paid only $150 for it, as the store was going out of business. Believe it or not, mine was a camouflage pattern! It served me exceedingly well as a 4-season mountaineering tent for many years before it finally fell apart. I found the original poles to be awful, and after a couple of years, found a guy in Oregon who made custom Easton aluminum pole sets for the EW tents. They were bombproof, and I still have them. I'll look for his contact info., and post it when I find it. IF ANYONE KNOWS WHERE I CAN BUY A WINTER LIGHT TENT, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I WOULD LOVE TO BUY IT, NO MATTER WHAT THE COLOR.

I would love to know about the source of tent poles.

I have The North Face "Comet" I think: it has two doors. I cannot find the pole set, where I left it in storage.

I knew mountainclimbers that had an Early Winters 4-season "mountaineering tent". I remember it was expensive. High quality, you wanted a fiberglass pole set to help avoid lightening. That was the idea.

It had to be taut, for a mountaineering tent.
    Last edited by Connie; 12-15-2014 at 09:20.

Journal Entries

An individual in the reserves w/me had that tent in camo and gortex. Excellent tent. Early Winters was a good company. A little pricey but always had great products. I had a Polartec hoody made in the USA which traveled all over the world w/me. It's pretty much done now (30 years old). Wish I could find another.
    Company is now called Sahali. Little or no gear. Mostly women's fashions.
    Last edited by sfdoc; 12-08-2014 at 10:12.

making your own tent poles is very easy .
    You can buy the bits (sections/shockcord and ends) from people like Quest Outfitters.
    To get the exact length you can cut a pole with a Dremel or hacksaw and then file it down.

Thinking about that, maybe is not all that easy but knowing some simple steps will help.
    If anyone is interested I could put a separate post up on this.

Franco, Please!

Warmlight is still available.

Their catalogue is a PDF, now.

Quote Originally Posted by BradMT View Post
    I've still got my Early Winters Goretix Bivy (yellow) that I got in 1978... a good company that was highly innovative.

And Franco is right, gear back then, adjusted for inflation, was far more expensive than today.
    I had the same bivy but gave it to my son who I think still has it. I loved it. I went tentless with my 3 season bag in some pretty cold fall temps in the Whites in NH and it and I stayed pretty warm. I used to love Early Winters and bought a lot of items from them.

Connie ,
    Warmlight ?
    Do you mean Warmlite ?
    I thought we were discussing the Winterlight (?)
    Yes I do know that Stephenson's are still in business

The webpage mentioned Warmlite. It is Warmlite.

That design has stood the test of time.

I think Warmlite came up with that design. I do not know that, for a fact.

it was always Stephenson's Warmlite?

Sorry I still don't get it.
    This thread is about the Early Winters Winterlight.
    Where did the Stephenson's Warmlite come into it ?
    (yes it was always Stephenson's because Jack Stephenson's was the founder/owner/designer)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++