WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I'm having some serious issues figuring out how to set up my new Tarptent Protrail

So I just received my Tarptent Protrail in the mail and I've been trying to figure out how to set it up for a couple of days now. The paper instructions make no sense and I've taken it outside and cannot get it to stay up.

I'm starting to feel like a real idiot here. I have no experience with tarps or tents of this kind at all. There's literally nothing on the internet in terms of setting up the Protrail and I really need some sort of step by step process. (Or a video tutorial, which would be ideal).

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks!

Is there something in particular that you are having issues with? This may be a silly question but are you using a a trekking pole (or the supplied poles) for the front and rear?
    Last edited by 88BlueGT; 04-01-2015 at 15:54.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    Is there something in particular that you are having issues with? This may be a silly question but are you using a a trekking pole (or the supplied poles) for the front and rear?
    I'm not sure how to connect the back guylines to the stakes to get them to stay in place. The wind just pulls them away from the stakes and then the middle pole (in the rear) ends up falling over. I'm using the provided poles by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post
    I've watched that video and another one (which was also in a different language) and they really are of no help. They don't show the setup process at all which is what I'm having trouble with.

Quote Originally Posted by SplitOpenandMelt View Post
    I'm not sure how to connect the back guylines to the stakes to get them to stay in place. The wind just pulls them away from the stakes and then the middle pole (in the rear) ends up falling over. I'm using the provided poles by the way.
    If you don't get the help you need here I would call up TT. They have amazing customer service and I'm sure he would take a minute or two out of his day to explain the process to you.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

You could try watching the video for the Protrail's predecessor, the Contrail, for some setup pointers: http://www.tarptent.com/contrail.html

have you tied your guidelines on the tarp. Probably did not come tied on.

Images

I had a question about my TarpTent Moment DW so I just called them. Henery Shires answered the phone. problem solved....
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

"I'm not sure how to connect the back guylines to the stakes to get them to stay in place. The wind just pulls them away from the stakes and then the middle pole (in the rear) ends up falling over"
    First , just in case, stakes should be inserted into the ground at 45 degree from perpendicular away from the guyline , that way the guylines don't pop out.
    Like this :

Should be almost fully into the ground, I left it partially out to show the angle.
    Next try setting it up front first as I do the Contrail in this video :

Ignore my speed, I had some practice...

Quote Originally Posted by SplitOpenandMelt View Post
    The stakes need to be angled into the ground towards the tent so the tension is pulling against the stake at an angle which will keep the line from slipping off the stake and/or out of the ground.

I set up tents by first putting in all the stakes, then the poles to support it, then re-adjust the position of the stakes as needed.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The stakes need to be angled into the ground towards the tent so the tension is pulling against the stake at an angle which will keep the line from slipping off the stake and/or out of the ground.

I set up tents by first putting in all the stakes, then the poles to support it, then re-adjust the position of the stakes as needed.
    +1, though with my TT double rainbow I have to insert the pole first and then set stakes. Sometimes I have to move a stake or even two, but it's minimal effort to get a good setup in a short period of time and that really pays off if it gets windy or rainy.

Thanks for the quick responses everyone! It makes perfect sense to angle the stakes at an angle away from the tent. I don't know why I didn't think of that. Hopefully that will solve the issues I'm having.

If anyone has any other pointers for me, feel free to post them here. Thanks again!

BTW, if you do tail end first, set that into the wind so that the pole will not blow down.
    (usually the lower part of a shelter is placed into the wind, less resistance that way)

If once you set it up it does not look exactly as it does on the TT website, post a photo of it and I should be able to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    BTW, if you do tail end first, set that into the wind so that the pole will not blow down.
    (usually the lower part of a shelter is placed into the wind, less resistance that way)

If once you set it up it does not look exactly as it does on the TT website, post a photo of it and I should be able to fix it.
    Never would have thought of that. Great advice, thanks.

Franco, I am so glad you posted this video. I could not for the life of me figure out how someone could put up this tent (I have one) in the rain and not get water inside!!! Hahahahahaaaa! You made my day. Thanks.

You are welcome.
    Here is another , slower, version :

Hope this hasn't been posted yet. Looks pretty strait forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAkcw7pAsuk

Good luck!

I received a ProTrail this morning so I thought of shooting a quick set up video .
    This is my third time setting it up (I tested the idea twice than shot the video)
    Hope that it is clear enough :

I uploaded a higher res version , also on my chanell

Images

I have been a TT Contrail user for 5 yrs. Two suggestions. One, when setting up the tent it works bestt if all guy lines are VERY tight. There should not be any sagging . Second, use Atsko Silicone Spray over the entire tent and let dry to increase water repellancy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++