WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Need ideas for Katahdin approach - July SOBO Hike

Hello guys,
    First post, been a long time lurker in the forums and i'm finally going to start my SOBO hike in July 16, i'm from Peru and already booked my flights sadly i forgot to reserve at the Katahdin Steam and there are no free spots.
    I was thinking about staying at Abol CG and hike the Abol trail (which is closed at the moment due to snow) or maybe walk to the Katahdin Steam CG and hike the Hunt Trail (if it's posible to walk in Park Tote Rd.). Is it doable?
    Any ideas would be welcomed, i have started training at a local trail (Marcahuasi) at 4000m (13000ish feet) but i'm a bit out of shape.
    Btw i'm having problems trying to pay with my credit card due to the billing address, has anyone payed online using a foreign credit card? Thanks a lot!
    Nesk

Journal Entries
    Images

If you can grab 2 nights at Abol CG, do it without delay. You can use your charm to get a ride to/from the Hunt Trail (AT), or just walk the gravel road. It will work out.

Edit: My comments above assume you are talking about the Abol CG inside the park just a couple miles from Katahdin Stream CG. If the Abol Trail is open -- I was thinking it was closed for a reroute-- you can go up that way and come down the Hunt Trail.
    Last edited by rickb; 06-02-2015 at 20:34.

Hi Nesk,

It is my understanding that the Abol trail will be closed all season due to a rock slide. As far as walking the tote road to Katahdin Stream, that would not be a good idea. It is a long walk from the entrance to the park to KSC and Katahdin is very difficult-especially if you are a bit out of shape. Then you would have to hike out of the park after Katahdin, or try to reserve a site at another campground.

I think if I were in your situation, I would arrange to stay a night in Millinocket. Then either arrange an early morning shuttle to Katahdin Stream campground, or start trying to hitchhike early in the morning to KSC. It is usually a very easy hitch, even at 5 or 6 a.m. You will still have to hike out of the park after you come off of Katahdin if you can't book a spot at another campsite. I would check with a ranger that morning to see if that is a possibility, but I would not expect it. If you didn't want to hike out of the park, which I feel is safe to assume you won't. You could have a pick up shuttle pre-arranged, or try to hitch back out.

Yes, it is possible to walk the tote road. But walking the tote rd. to Katahdin Stream, climbing the mountain, and hiking out, is a VERY hard day of hiking.

Good luck on your hike!

Surely someone would give you a ride from Abol to the KSC trailhead. I hiked the Hunt Trail last weekend as preparation for my SoBo starting this Saturday, and it is worth going out and back.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by putts View Post
    Yes, it is possible to walk the tote road. But walking the tote rd. to Katahdin Stream, climbing the mountain, and hiking out, is a VERY hard day of hiking.
    Remember there is Abol CG inside the park which is a couple miles south of Katahdin Stream CG, and then there is the commercial/private Abol Bridge CG along the AT but outside the park.

If you can still grab 2 nights at Abol CG inside the park, you are a walkable distance away.

www.100milewilderness.info/Services.html

Phil will get you to Baxter park early in the AM.
    Hike the Hunt trail up and back. Then just keep going until your out of Baxter Park or check with folks in the lean-to to see if they have space to let you stay.
    Each lean to can hold like 4-5 people and often folks end up reserving an entire one for 1 person.
    Just show up an figure it out. It'll work out.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Remember there is Abol CG inside the park which is a couple miles south of Katahdin Stream CG, and then there is the commercial/private Abol Bridge CG along the AT but outside the park.

If you can still grab 2 nights at Abol CG inside the park, you are a walkable distance away.
    That's actually the best advice. I don't know why but I assumed Abol CG was booked too. If you can get 2 nights there you are all set.

Thanks a lot for the advice, i will book Abol CG inside the park for two days just in case i finish exhausted after Katahdin.
    I'm staying @ AT Lodge so i will get a shuttle to the park with them. The only problem now is getting my credit card accepted by the Baxter Park payment system , i get some error with my billing address (i think it tries to force me a valid US postal code even if i mark my Peru as my country).

Journal Entries
    Images

if I was understanding the BSP website correctly, they still had space at Katahdin Stream CG for your dates. I saw they also take reservations by phone, too.

Here is a screen shot I just took.

image.jpg

Hi Nesk,

I am also hiking Katahdin on 16th of July. I'm staying at the AT lodge the evening of the 15th. Hope to see you out there.
    I agree with Smoothsailin that there may be a lean to that may have space for you after you hike Katahdin.

Quote Originally Posted by namaste7 View Post
    Hi Nesk,

I am also hiking Katahdin on 16th of July. I'm staying at the AT lodge the evening of the 15th. Hope to see you out there.
    I agree with Smoothsailin that there may be a lean to that may have space for you after you hike Katahdin.
    Hi Namaste,
    I'm also staying at the AT lodge on July 14&15, i found and reserved a lean to @ KS CG on that day thanks for the help Smoothsailin & rickb. See you there!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nesk View Post
    Hi Namaste,
    I'm also staying at the AT lodge on July 14&15, i found and reserved a lean to @ KS CG on that day thanks for the help Smoothsailin & rickb. See you there!
    According to the ATC:

International hikers from Australia, Austria, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Canada, Chile, The Czech Republic, Denmark, England, Finland, France, Germany, Guatemala, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Morocco, New Zealand, North Ireland, Norway, the Philippines, Romania, Russia, Scotland, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the Netherlands, and Wales have reported completing the Trail.
    Hmmm...

Good luck and enjoy our little mountains-- they will not dissapoint!

I guess that will make me the first Peruvian if i manage to finish the trail. I will definitely enjoy the journey!

Hello guys, just a final question before going to the US in 3 days: ¿can i buy all my food in Millinocket or should i buy it beforehand? I have already bought most of my gear online and mailed it to the AT Lodge but was unsure about the food (i mailed the AT Lodge a couple of days ago but i guess it got lost or went to the spam folder, i will call them in 2 days to double check my reservation).

Images

There is a good sized supermarket in Millinocket and 3 smaller food stores. Ole Mans Gear Shop at the Lodge has some Mountain House and Cliff bars.

- Chief
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Thanks for the info Chief! Just 2 days to go

A much easier way to get to the top of Katahdin is to go up from Chimney pond.
    If you can get a ride to the trailhead at Roaring brook and then take the trail to Chimney pond hut, that's an easy trail.
    It does get steep from here up to the peak of K, but it is short.
    Anyway, that's what I did when starting my SOBO 14 years ago.
    You'll get to see the Hunt trail on the way down.
    Or, if you are really adventurous, check into the knife edge (if the weather is good) to have a really spectacular start to your hike.
    Either way, have fun and Good Luck.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

++ New Posts ++