WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default If you had to start in August what would you do?

I'm hoping to start in early July (at Katahdin) but do to outside forces I might not be able to start until August. I don't really feel like putting off a hike until next year. I don't have to complete a thru-hike (Katahdin to Springer), I'm not a purist. Also Maine doesn't sound like it's much fun to start out when you're out of shape. I'm really just looking for 4 or more months on the trail to get away. The AT seems to be a good option for me because the trail is easy to follow but mostly because resupply is simple. So any ideas on what a good starting point would be around mid-August if I just want to do a long hike. It would need close or easy to do with Plane or bus as I will be on my own. Also I think I'd prefer a south bound direction since it will be more like walking towards home.

Also if you have any other ideas that I should be looking at that would be welcome too.
    Last edited by brewyet; 06-03-2015 at 22:08.

Since public transportation access is important to you, and considering your 4 month timeframe, fly or take the train to New York, catch the train to Pawling, and start hiking south. You'll get in better shape as you walk and I believe that in 4 months, you'll be close to Springer.

If you want to be more conservative, fly to Washington, train to Harpers Ferry, and start hiking south. You'll be home for Thanksgiving.

Journal Entries

Unless you have restrictions of some sort - financial or otherwise - you might consider moving to the parts of the trail that are most comfortable/beautiful that time of year. For August, consider the "easier" portions of Maine, or get a taste of New Hampshire. The South and the lower elevations of the middle states can be kinda warm in August. Then as the temperatures ease up, you could move down to Virginia, get the Shenandoah range done, move on down to Tennessee, and do the Smokies in October, and then walk "home" in November.
    Plenty of other variations. No need for the pieces to be continuous unless you just want them to be.

My hike doesn't have to be under 4 months. I'm looking for atleast 4 months. And the continuous hike is really just for simplification. I only have to plan a trip to the start, then its just where ever my feet can take me.

The New York start is looking pretty appealing to me. Pretty much anywhere with plane or bus access should work. Hopefully I can start in July, but its nice to be prepared.

I'd start a bit farther north. Hanover, NH isn't too hard to get to and Vermont isn't too hard a place to start. Definitely all kinds of options.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I'd start a bit farther north. Hanover, NH isn't too hard to get to and Vermont isn't too hard a place to start. Definitely all kinds of options.
    Hanover, NH looks like a great spot to start. I can take a Train there and easy start and should be close to other SOBOs around mid-August. Thanks. Hopefully I won't start there, but if it comes down to it , that is a good spot.

It's a bit late, but not impossible, to start in Pawling and go north to Katahdin and get there in early October. Flip back and head south during fall when it's cooler. I recall a bunch of hikers coming through CT in early August last year who finished. Of course, they already had 1,400 miles of hiking behind them and you'd just be getting your legs. It's a thought if you want to hit Katahdin NOBO.

I started a SOBO very late in July- may have even been first week of August when I hit Baxter.
    It was easily one of the best trips of my life. The Northwoods in August, September, and October are stunning. Bugs are down, colors emerge, days are cool and swimming is as warm as it's going to get. While a SOBO start is more intimidating logistically, it's not much worse than a NOBO is. There will be other hikers out and a fair amount of NOBO hopefuls who ended up flip flopping. The terrain is also a fair equalizer in terms of MPD, so it's not hard to keep up with folks you meet.

If nothing else- you live in Alabama- go all the way up and see some of the best country in this country during the best time of year to go. If you don't get your full hike in it will be much easier for you to fill in the southern sections you miss from home.

As a fallback plan I too would say Hanover at the very least. DO NOT miss Vermont, especially in late season. Prime hiking on the LT is September.

For me- August and September in Maine/NH were world class jaw-dropping stunning. Then the leaves began to change and Vermont was a red rose petal carpeted trip through mind blowing oranges, yellows, greens and insanity that continued on down into Pennsylvania until I finally began to fall behind the wave of fall spilling southbound. But as the leaves fall you're treated to views in viewless stretches.

What I think you have is not a problem, but a fantastic opportunity!

Images

Dalton, Mass is another option to start from. It is easy to get to from Boston via Pittsfield.

Quote Originally Posted by brewyet View Post
    I'm hoping to start in early July (at Katahdin) but do to outside forces I might not be able to start until August. I don't really feel like putting off a hike until next year. I don't have to complete a thru-hike (Katahdin to Springer), I'm not a purist. Also Maine doesn't sound like it's much fun to start out when you're out of shape. I'm really just looking for 4 or more months on the trail to get away. The AT seems to be a good option for me because the trail is easy to follow but mostly because resupply is simple. So any ideas on what a good starting point would be around mid-August if I just want to do a long hike. It would need close or easy to do with Plane or bus as I will be on my own. Also I think I'd prefer a south bound direction since it will be more like walking towards home.

Also if you have any other ideas that I should be looking at that would be welcome too.
    I'd say start at Katahdin. I know Maine not seem like a good place to start if you're out of shape, but I think there could be a different way of looking at that. Yes, Katahdin can be a butt kicker, but psychologically you will know that you did it, and won't face anything as challenging again in Maine. By N.H. you'll be ready for anything. After Katahdin the 100 MW is fairly tame-the northern part especially. Tame may be the wrong word-there's mud,bogs, roots, slippery rocks and a few big climbs- but, there are so many beautiful places to stop, swim, nap, soak your feet. If you aren't in a hurry, I don't think you need to worry about not being in trail shape to start with. Just listen to your body and don't feel like you have to keep up with anybody.

I'm starting near Salem, VA NoBo for about 10 days if you decide to section hike.
    **Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.**

++ New Posts ++