WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User O-H-10 Lil Ohio's Avatar

Default Monson to Caratunk Caratunk to Stratton

I am planning to meet some other hikers that are continuing there SOBO trek in Maine, mid June and they will be hiking from Monson southbound , I did part of the hundred mile wilderness last year, however my pack strap rubbed the skin around my pacemaker raw. I believe I have a remedy for that problem I can only do about 3 to 5 days at a time even with the new padding Here is my question: In your opinion what would be the better route to take physically, Monson to Caratunk , Caratuck to Stratton? Any suggestions on where to park my vehicle and shuttle would be very much appreciated. Thanks, Tic-Toc

Moxie Bald and Pleasant are easier than the Bigs. Even so, SoBo over Little, Avery, and West is not that bad. The walk up Little Bigelow is gradual. SoBo over Avery and West is easier than NoBo. Still, I loved the walk up the falls to Pierce Pond and the Bigs are beautiful. To Stratton is slightly harder but much more rewarding. Don't be on Moxie Bald in thunder storm.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Thanks BirdBrain, I can leave my vehicle at the old Shaws place ,I am not sure of any shuttle back to Monson from Caratuck, I'll check. Again thanks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by O-H-10 Lil Ohio View Post
    Thanks BirdBrain, I can leave my vehicle at the old Shaws place ,I am not sure of any shuttle back to Monson from Caratuck, I'll check. Again thanks.
    The new owners of Shaw's do offer shuttle service from Caratunk. Sounds like it would be perfect for you if you were leaving your car there. http://www.shawshikerhostel.com/services.html

Moxie bold and Pleasant pond Mountain are two serious bumps to climb up and over, but the rest of the section is pretty easy. Even so, it's probably a bit easier then the Bigelows, although the Bigelows are a nice above tree line treat. (if the weather is good, otherwise you'd much rather be anywhere else).
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Water Rat, Thanks, I talked with Paul's wife from tne AT Lodge awhile back and their daughter or son , I don't remember which bought the Shaws place. I picked up their business card at the AT Headquarters. I will give them a call. Trip is coming together just great. Thank again.

Images

Have a great hike!

Slo-go-an, thanks, Taking my time , I think I can handle the two bumps,I'll go climb Old Rag here in Va on monday to make sure I have the legs.

Images

OP, lots of great advice here. Have a great hike.
    skinny d

Appreciate all the great advice thanks

++ New Posts ++