WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Should have sparked one up. That will usually prompt a group like that to move on. Or get naked. Or both.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Wolf is right, but just because people can do something does not mean they should.
    Exactly. We're raised a couple of generations with perhaps a little bit too much self-esteem, though. Common courtesy isn't all that common anymore.

Unfortunately, (some) church youth groups are the worst of the worst.. Of course, the whole concept of a church "youth group" is completely unbiblical...

When you're out in the woods, miles from any kind of enforcement capability there really aren't any rules As in most places in life, people generally only follow the rules that they agree with balanced with what they think they can get away with. And specifically when it comes to the AT I've noticed that there are a lot of self appointed do gooders who make up their own rules...such as the recent case where it came to light that there actually isn't any kind of rule saying you can't camp on Max Patch, but experienced hikers had been saying so for so many years that people thought it was an actual rule.

Sometimes adult leaders are assigned the role and are clueless. Generally by talking with them if they are interested in learning you can pay it forward to some future hiker by explaining etiquette to the group leaders. I find the church group leaders particularly clueless but scout leaders also can be if they are new to the program. Frequently most youth organizations are desperate for adult leaders, its practically a full time job for scout leaders and frequently it come down to if the parents want their son in the program they have to participate as leaders, if they hang around enough there is excellent training available but frequently it comes down just getting someone with pulse.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Frequently most youth organizations are desperate for adult leaders, its practically a full time job for scout leaders and frequently it come down to if the parents want their son in the program they have to participate as leaders, if they hang around enough there is excellent training available but frequently it comes down just getting someone with pulse.
    The flip side of this, is most adults will be somewhat suspicious of an older adult youth leader, with no kids of their own involved, and rightfully so.

My usual remedy for disrespectful groups is an after the fact action.

With Scout troops, church groups or "hoods in the woods", it's usually counterproductive to point out poor habits to the adults while it is going on. Unless there is some real danger that needs to be prevented.

If I can, I find out where they are from and what organization sponsors the group or the event and contact them. It doesn't help at the time of discomfort but hopefully some education and training can take place afterwards.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I believe I'd pull a Katz.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I believe I'd pull a Katz.
    The stolen Shoelaces if I remember.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

"You folks mind giving me a little privacy here? I'm trying to use the restroom." "I've had a long day of hiking, would you mind playing somewhere else so I can relax at my campsite?"

As to the other complaints, they got there before you and had just as much right to be there as you did.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    As to the other complaints, they got there before you and had just as much right to be there as you did.
    Agreed they have the right.

But it that does not make it right.

What's more, youth leaders should be particularly intune to their impact on others, given they are setting an example for their charges.

Question: Commercial camp groups used to be the pits in the Hundred Mile Wilderness as this scenario was once rather common. Is that still the case?

This is happening more and more, and you won't do much of a hike without running into it now. The problem is not the kids, it's the leaders who don't care about hikers that aren't part of their group. Often these are families who live a few miles from the trail. You can tell they are local from the huge mess of gear they bring, plus dogs, kids, and elaborate smelly food.

The Boy Scouts can be the worst. I arrived at The Place in Damascus after traveling 18 hrs from Seattle, plus a long car ride from BWI. Nobody was there at 7 pm, but gear was strung everywhere like a bomb had gone off. So we claimed the remaining bunks, paid our fees, and got ready to retire. At 8 pm in comes this huge Boy Scout group from Kentucky. The kids were cool, but the leaders were livid that "hikers" had come in while they were out eating pizza. "We reserved the whole place", we were told. Followed by the proclamation "You can't sleep in a room with little boys!", he yelled.
    We (three of us in our late 50's) quietly packed up and left for the more welcoming Woodchuck hostel.

My main thought was that the only people indicted for sexual misconduct with youthful Boy Scouts has been Boy Scout Leaders just like this guy from Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    Please, do not be opposed to groups.

Groups just need to have guidelines - for the dummies who can't figure out what basic LNT is....

I feel that the ATC should advise that groups are welcome to stay in camping areas BUT NOT SHELTERS! IMO (although I am a lowly section-hiker), shelters should be reserved for unaffiliated groups of 4 or fewer.

Groups should also be advised to make sure they travel in numbers of 15 or less. (I believe BSA actually states 14??). If they have more than that, they should divide and not camp in the same area. This is specified on the NCT portion of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Note: If they do not have enough adults, too bad! Our Troop had to limit events on a few occasions because we didn't have the adults for a second or third group.
    In the White Mountain National Forest, the National Forest Service provides that groups of 6 or more people are supposed to use the AMC Group Notification System for many of the camping sites/shelters along the AT and elsewhere. It is an online registration process that looks to be primarily geared towards avoiding multiple groups show up at the same location, but the available of group space at any location is available for anyone to view. I would probably avoid a site indicating that there was no group space available, even if soloing.

The AMC Group Notification website makes clear that registration is not a reservation. Ever space is on a first-come, first-serve basis. Interestingly, when registering, people are asked if they would like to be contacted about organizing an AMC seminar on LNT. The reservation process is also in place in the Mahoosuc region. http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/camp...tification.cfm

Also, in Wilderness Areas no hiking or camping in groups larger than 10 people​.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    The stolen Shoelaces if I remember.
    Das da one

Rules and etiquette are two different things. I can tell you there are absolutely no enforceable rules regarding shelters here in GA other than rules against squatters. So it is all on a first come basis. But a large group taking over a shelter is definitely bad form and poor etiquette. I work with the maintainer at that shelter as I visit there about 5 times a week. It is about 3.5 miles from my house. As such I do see it is a common problem as many groups hike the 1.5 miles from Gooch Gap over to the shelter and spend the weekend. Most tent however and do not stay in the shelter. When I see a large group in the shelter I do say something but usually get blank stares and a finger when I walk away. But some do listen and appreciate the education.

Regarding privacy, forget it. If you want privacy go for a walk and get off the trail away from all eyes, dig a hole and do your business.

Sorry for your inconvenience but as a hiker you need to be prepared to carry your own shelter for all weather conditions. Shelter space is not always available, especially during the through hike season, or when a large group takes over.

Images

I've found that an effective form of crowd control at shelters, is to; through idle conversation let someone or multiple people know that you are just getting over a bad case of super catchy VD or the noro virus. That almost always gives me the shelter to myself. or at least a wide area in the shelter to spread out.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffeect View Post
    I've found that an effective form of crowd control at shelters, is to; through idle conversation let someone or multiple people know that you are just getting over a bad case of super catchy VD or the noro virus. That almost always gives me the shelter to myself. or at least a wide area in the shelter to spread out.
    I just let out a sneeze - e e e BOLA !!!
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bumpy View Post
    Should have sparked one up. That will usually prompt a group like that to move on. Or get naked. Or both.
    I don't care who you are, that's just funny! HA! I damned nearly spilled my beer. HA!

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I just let out a sneeze - e e e BOLA !!!
    that or a real bad case of Tourette's.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    that or a real bad case of Tourette's.
    You guys are why I sleep with earplugs.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++