WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    This is an old thread but somebody bumped it back up and I noticed the word "etiquette" in relation to the rat-box AT shelters and had to laugh. Hikers who depend on these hepatitis-boxes are probably the same kind of people who dial in a SPOT rescue as soon as a snowflake falls and the temps plunge to 40F. It's the entitlement generation I guess.

AT backpackers need desperately to spend 10 years backpacker in areas without these shelters and they would sing a different tune. "What shelters??" should be the main thought in your head when you're out backpacking. Have everything on your back to survive rainstorms and thunderstorms and blizzards and arctic cold snaps to -10F.

Somebody needs to write a decent screed against AT shelters and I guess it's up to me:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=480560

MAIN POINTS---
    ** Shelters erase any feel of wilderness . . . a shelter becomes an Interstate highway Rest Area so take the exit along with everyone else.

** What normal man would want to sleep butt-to-butt with other strange men??

** Hikers who sleep in shelters are like urban squatters sleeping under a bridge abutment.

** QUOTE: "The only good thing about these AT carports is they lure in and congregate the idiots whereby I can disperse camp a mile away and avoid the lunacy."

** THIS SUMS IT UP FOR ME:

BOX DEPENDENT
    " The shelter residents actually have the gall to say the shelter has rules like no dogs and yet they are wrong as the shelter is a wide open piss tank available to anyone for any activity. If you're dumb enough to use them on your backpacking trip and too lazy to set up your own shelter then you have nothing to say for yourself in defense of your space while in one of these rat boxes. Because once you air a single complaint you are advertising your unwillingness to rely on your own shelter system. You willingly have allowed yourself to be box dependent and this choice negates any indignation you may have with fellow occupants in the same box. You're all in the same boiling pot of sewage and slowly cooking in a rat box induced retardation."

" Once dependent on these mud homes people get prickly as if shelters have rules and they develop a strong sense of entitlement to these open sores. "No dogs! No tents inside! No smoking! No room except for me and my friends!! No noise after 9pm!! Full up, sleep in the rain!!! I was here first!! Here, take a hit! I'm a thruhiker, you're not so make room for me! I've been on the trail for 4 months and will now take your questions! We are high mileage experts, now you may ask your questions! Gotta catch up with my friends Turd Blossom and Semen Tank!!! Did they sign the register???!!"

This was written in January 2015, well before thecyclops original post and is therefore not personally directed at him, actually.
    OMG, classic anti rat box umm I mean shelter rant.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I think it's great that they get the kids out there.
    Being rained on for a few days would make it a bit of a turn-off, but turning it into a fun trip by playing war? Well, to each their own I guess.
    Some of the church people I know seem to like war, so, I guess it fits.
    agreed. My sister hates the outdoors and hangs out at the mall with her friends. On the other hand, my dad regularly took me and the dog canoe camping with him and enrolled me in girl scouts as early as he could. the difference in upbringings made a big difference in our personalities and frankly in our achievements later on. As annoying as a group of kids may be, we should think of the irritation as an investment in raising better people. Just my 2 cents though -- what do i know I'm still a young'un!

Quote Originally Posted by oliviamariana View Post
    agreed. My sister hates the outdoors and hangs out at the mall with her friends. On the other hand, my dad regularly took me and the dog canoe camping with him and enrolled me in girl scouts as early as he could. the difference in upbringings made a big difference in our personalities and frankly in our achievements later on. As annoying as a group of kids may be, we should think of the irritation as an investment in raising better people. Just my 2 cents though -- what do i know I'm still a young'un!
    Well, young 'un, you give me hope for the future.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
++ New Posts ++