WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Missing Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    a brief update.....

this is coming from the Park--

they have ruled out foul play and animal attack-----however they are going to wait til the autopsy to come back to make the cause of death official..............autopsy is expected to be completed within 12 weeks..........
    12 weeks? Is that a normal time frame? Seems long.
    So glad it was not foul play...hate hearing about those.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    a brief update.....

this is coming from the Park--

they have ruled out foul play and animal attack-----however they are going to wait til the autopsy to come back to make the cause of death official..............autopsy is expected to be completed within 12 weeks..........

TNhiker - someone said something about stream crossing or a fall - was she in the water? Or was she just near the creek?

I'm reminded (for any of you trail runners) of Caballo Blanco and how he went for a run and his heart stopped. He was doing what he loved also, which for me I wouldn't view that as a bad way to go, although Jenny was taken from this earth too soon - I would bet if she knew it was her time she would choose to have one more hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post

thats fairly common........

the labs are usually backlogged.......

they will send blood and what not out to get sampled and thats what takes the longest............

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFishNut View Post
    TNhiker - someone said something about stream crossing or a fall - was she in the water? Or was she just near the creek?

I'm reminded (for any of you trail runners) of Caballo Blanco and how he went for a run and his heart stopped. He was doing what he loved also, which for me I wouldn't view that as a bad way to go, although Jenny was taken from this earth too soon - I would bet if she knew it was her time she would choose to have one more hike.

that's what we reported and thats what i have said on this forum----that she was found near a creek.........

i stress the word "near" as they havent released any other details about that (as in, if she was in water or what not).......

and ive said it was my guess----and just a guess-----that she slipped and fell.........

until the autopsy comes out, i dont think i will have any more details.......

however, if i do, i will pass along.........

Journal Entries

Are there corral snakes in that part of the Park or anywhere in the Smokies?

No it's too cold for Coral snakes in the Tennessee mountains.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

Quote Originally Posted by iAmKrzys View Post
    Are there corral snakes in that part of the Park or anywhere in the Smokies?

and besides snake handling preachers-----i dont think we've had a snake bite death here in years......maybe decades......

and to be honest----while it does happen in the Park----snake bites are very rare....

there was one about a month ago in the tremont area and while i never heard details, i have a feeling the girl who was bit tried to pick the snake up...

dont quote me on that...

also, if someone is bit----survival is fairly easy...

mainly the only people who die of snake bites in tennessee are snake handling preachers (i think we've had 3 die in the last decade) who are bitten and then dont go to the hospital because they think they will be cure by whatever........

and they arent----they usually die......

Quote Originally Posted by PatmanTN View Post
    TNHiker,

This is a huge loss and I can't stop thinking about it. I never met Jenny but intended to. Her adventures have inspired me for years and I've followed in her foot steps on several trips. I have tremendous respect for her and have always held her in highest regard. This is awful.
    Back in May 24 2012 I was pulling a 22 day BMT backpacking trip and was going south from Moss Gap and Sandy Gap and passed thru Tate Gap and beyond to Cantrell Top when I ran into Jenny and posted this in my trail journal---

ENDLESS STREAMS AND FOREST
    "A woman dayhiker passed me 20 minutes ago and she's pulling a dayhike from Unicoi Gap to Cantrell Top and back and will write a wilderness report on her blog called Endless Streams And Forest, something I'll have to look up when I get back. I said to her, "As soon as I find a level spot I'm camping!" and I meant it. I'm carrying water from Tate Gap but it's wasted effort as I passed 2 springs before Peels Gap and there's probably another right ahead on the ridge top. Let's eat some sorrel and keep moving."

And she wrote this in her blog---
    "After stopping for a rest and something to eat, I turned to retrace my steps. Below Cantrell Top I encountered a backpacker who said he was doing a 22-day trip ending at Little Frog Mountain Wilderness (but he was not doing the whole MacKaye Trail). He cheerfully carried a gigantic pack that looked as though it weighed at least 50 pounds. I have the impression that you carry more food with you than on a comparable trip on the AT because of the lack of resupply points."

Never got a pic of her though.

See---
    https://streamsandforests.wordpress....brown-highway/

Journal Entries

Was there any more news as to what might have happened on Jenny's last hike?

Images

Not as of yet...

i was supposed to meet up with a PIO today for work but it fell through..

I may call tomorrow

Any updates on this?

The autopsy report showed a high level of diphenhydramine. She must have had allergies and and was over medicating. Hypothermia was also given as the cause of death.
    http://www.local8now.com/news/local/...323446701.html
    SUPPORT LNT

I didn't see the post by Tnhiker. This can be deleted if need be.
    SUPPORT LNT

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++