WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Any other late NOBO starters out there?

Hey class of 2016!

Due to school obligations, I can't start my thru in Georgia until early May (the date and direction are not up for debate). I'll be section hiking the mid-Atlantic in Mar & Apr so I can skip it on the way up and still be done in time for classes in September.

Anyone else going to be starting in Georgia on the later side? I am definitely glad to miss the crowds and hopefully the worst of cold weather, but at the same time I'm worried about not having anyone around to hang out with!

Images

I did a section hike from the Amicalola Falls to Neel's Gap late May. I met one thru hiker (Ferdinand - he's on trailjournal.com) and a couple of section hikers that were going as far as Damascus. Ferdinand left us in the dust, he was clearly on a mission. But, my point being, there will be hikers you will meet up with for sections, possibly a hundred miles or more, and some thru hikers. If you are a strong hiker, it won't take long to catch up with the stragglers. I hope to start in the March/April time frame, so you will probably catch me in the Smokies.

Hi! I'll be starting my thru-hike early May 2016 after my graduation too! I plan to start in Georgia. My mom is planning on hiking for much of it, but I would love to find a group to hike with.

Yo, I am! Starting mid to late May all going well, soon as i break from Uni (in the UK). I've done a fair bit of long distance walking (1000 miles tops though) before so figure i can do it comfortably in about 100 days

I will also be starting in early/mid may!

I'm planning to start mid May as well due to college graduation. Everyone I have talked to has tried to convince me to go SOBO, but I am set on NOBO. It's awesome to hear that other people will be starting that late going NOBO!! I hope to see you guys out there on the trail!

Bluebird

I am planning to start a section hike (Springer Mtn to Boiling Springs, PA) of 1,100 miles about June 8 - 10, 2016. I am starting late because I'm going to my 50th anniversary college graduation reunion with my best bud in early June. I will be 71 then, but am confident that I will set a good pace after the first week. I think I'm fairly easy company and will be looking for you!

I graduate May 14 and will be starting that weekend. The direction I'm going to hike is a different story. I've dreamt of a NoBo traditional hike for 20 years, although lately I've been entertaining a Flip-Flop at Harpers Ferry.

I'm hoping to start my NoBo around May 1. Since this will be my first multi-week thru hike, I'm not sure I'm going to put it on myself to make it to Maine, but we'll see how far I make it before October!

Quote Originally Posted by alymalo View Post
    I'm hoping to start my NoBo around May 1. Since this will be my first multi-week thru hike, I'm not sure I'm going to put it on myself to make it to Maine, but we'll see how far I make it before October!
    You'll have 167 days which gives you a daily average of 13.1 mpd - totally doable.

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    You'll have 167 days which gives you a daily average of 13.1 mpd - totally doable.
    Wow you're right! I hadn't actually done the math. Since this is the case, it looks like finances may be more of an issue than time for me. Time to start saving mucho mas and cutting back on extraneous stuff then.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AT '16: 1,378 miles GA-NY

trail journal
    // blog

I also wanted to add, while that is your daily average for 167 days, the reality is you could take anywhere from 5-20 zero days so you'll have to factor that in. That will raise your daily mileage. For example, if you want to take a zero every 10 days, you'll actually need to average 14.5 miles per day (13.1 X 10 days = 131 miles, subtract 1 day and you get 131/9= 14.5). Still doable. Then you have to factor in resupply and nero days. Either way, you have 5 1/2 months, which is extremely doable.

*disclaimer- I'm not a thru hiker, I'm a section hiker, but I have read hundreds of journals, have done enough long distance section hikes, and have logistically planned my own thru hike for years.

My graduation date is set for May 14 and I plan on heading out right after that. I would love to connect with anyone planning to start around that time. My parents aren't fond of the idea of me hiking alone so I'm trying to find a partner or group to hike with.

++ New Posts ++