WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bear attackin GSMNP (report on ABC news)

Not a lot of detail but the teen (it seemed) is going to be alright. Dad woke up and saw the bear dragging his son by the head.

Images

http://www.whiteblaze.. t/forum/showthread.php/111853-Hazel-creek-closures-due-to-bear-incident

Already a thread going
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Since it was a black bear attacking sleeper, should we carry bear spray???

Images

You might agitate it.

Bear spray should not be needed on the AT... unless you come across a deranged attacking human!

Only once did I come across a bear that I met eye-to-eye, and it was in the GSMNP. It was on the trail and the bear did not move as I came over a bluff. I calmly turned 180 degrees, walked back for a minute, and returned. The bear moved about 60 feet off the trail, stared me down, moved his head up and down sniffing the air as I walked by. Yes, my heart rate went up, but the bear stood off to the side and never bothered me. Had I sprayed him (which is illegal) he or she may have charged.

I came across about 10 bears in all my years of hiking and every one, except the above, ran away quickly. One time about 3:00 AM, I had one come sniffing and snorting around my tent on Albert Mtn (actually a little N bound). My food was hung and the bear left with no physical encounter. Your odds of having a bad encounter with a bear are about the same as falling off the side of a mountain while hiking.

Images

I have backpacked all over the lower 48 and in real bear country in Alaska. In every bear incident that I have ever known it can be traced back to human not following the rules in bear country. I saw a idiot get out of their vehicle and chase a bear in the Smokies. Another idiot in Canada taking pictures of a Brown bear on a kill along the highway. I hope this young man is going to be ok and if you feel safer carrying bear spray then buy some and learn when to use it and when not to but more important cook away from camp, keep food, toothpaste etc away from camp, cooking clothes away from camp, make noise while hiking in limited distance areas, NEVER run away from a bear but stand your ground and make yourself as large as possible. If in a group stay together. Bears when standing up are just looking around. Bears that hit the ground with their paws are warning you. Bears that charge you will 99.9% of the time not attack but a display of dominance, stand your ground. You can have your spray ready but don't use it before it's needed. If you carry spray it should be on your belt, not in your pack.
    WalkingStick"75"

Quote Originally Posted by jbwood5 View Post
    Had I sprayed him (which is illegal)
    How so? Isn't that why it is sold?

Images

Read the rules for GSMNP.

Images

I just read the backcountry rules for GSMNP I didn't see any mention either way on the use of bear spray. I am aware that most NP's have a policy it is illegal to use spray in the established campground areas. Do you have a link stating that it is illegal?
    WalkingStick"75"

Images

I just read the backcountry rules for GSMNP I didn't see any mention either way on the use of bear spray

no sure if bear spray is illegal in the park or not, but their rangers suggested that people carry it........

sooooooooooooo...................

"Pepper Spray
    Bear pepper spray may be carried by hikers within Great Smoky Mountains National Park for the strict purpose of protection against bodily harm from aggressive wildlife. It should not be applied to people, tents, packs, other equipment or surrounding area as a repellent. Bear pepper spray is a chemical formula designed specifically to deter aggressive or attacking bears. It must be commercially manufactured and labeled as "Bear Pepper Spray" and be registered with the Environmental Protection Agency and individual states. Bear spray must contain between 1% to 2% of the active ingredients capsaicin and related capsaicinoids."

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/hiking.htm

What am I missing?

Images

It has more to due with approaching, disturbing, feeding, molesting, etc bears. I don't recall language specifically addressing the use of bear spray but the other stuff will get you a fine if you are caught.

It is like the gun argument we have in Florida (and some other states). If you feel your life is in danger, use your weapon, and you are protected by law. Of course we know that can backfire, because life endangerment as you see it can be your opinion not necessarily the opinion of those investigating.

In the example that I stated, if I had pulled out a can of spray, and sprayed the bear to make it go away... It could have been considered as disturbing the bear which is illegal. Did I feel threatened?... Yeah... A little bit, especially when my heart rate went up.

Bottom line... probably not illegal to carry the spray, but potentially illegal to use it unless you are physically being attacked (and it's probably too late at that point).

Images

What am I missing?

bacon..........

cause everything goes better with bacon.............

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    bacon..........

cause everything goes better with bacon.............
    Do bears like bacon?

Images

Thanks for the clarification and link swisscross. That has been an addition in recent years.

Images

Do bears like bacon?

they love it.............

cause bacon adds to the problems on hazel creek...........

seriously...............hazel creek is one of a few trails in the park where users can bring in carts.......

and in those carts----they can bring in as much food as they can handle....

these carts are something to see----bicycle wheels with mountain bike tires, the whole nine yard........

simple math---more food brought into the backcountry, more problems with bears.................

Images

they love it.............

cause bacon adds to the problems on hazel creek...........

seriously...............hazel creek is one of a few trails in the park where users can bring in carts.......

and in those carts----they can bring in as much food as they can handle....

these carts are something to see----bicycle wheels with mountain bike tires, the whole nine yard........

simple math---more food brought into the backcountry, more problems with bears.................
    Is that the campsite on the shoreline? I stayed at one where people could pull up in a boat and party. It was pretty trashy. I camped back where the horsemen typically camp.

Images

hazel creek does have a campsite right down near the boat landing (actually, maybe 1/4 mile up)..........

then there are sites all along the trail going up to the ridge....

and yes, that's another problem...............boaters come over (and yes, they have the right to use it), camp there, and bring in food as well...

also, that lower site (#86) is used by some commercial fishing outfitters............

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

...boaters come over (and yes, they have the right to use it), camp there, and bring in food as well...
    You say that as if boaters were subject to different rules than drivers parking at a trailhead. As long as they have their permits, what does it matter how they got to the park.?

Images

that's what im saying----doesnt matter how they got there, they are allowed to use the campsites just like hikers...........and just have to follow the rules like everyone else......

i didnt want it to make is seem like the campsite were just for hikers........

but, what they do add, is more food and provisions based on the fact that its not on their back.................

After reading these posts it seems prudent to carry bear spray. Especially since I will be sleeping in a hammock. I understand that there are more campers and more food in a smaller area where the bear attack took place than might be on the AT. However, I am not sure that all AT hikers will know to cook in separate cooking clothes, cook far enough away from camp, and remember to bag toothpaste with food at night. Thanks for all the input!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++