Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I just did a backpack trip with a cotton skirt I sewed myself from a sheet. It worked great. It was basically a quarter circle skirt, about the easiest thing to make since you don't need a pattern. I'm out west so cotton worked fine. The skirt was below the knee so when I sat down I could grab the back and wedge it between my legs to hide my underwear. It was long enough to keep my legs from getting sunburned but still airy. I sewed two grossgrain ribbons on the inside that I could use to shorten the skirt in front, kind of like the tabs in your shirt sleeves. My skirt could be whatever length I wanted, at least in the front. It got really hot and humid though and I didn't like my thighs rubbing together. So I wore running shorts underneath and used the skirt to prevent sunburn. I found a silk skirt at the thrift store. I think in the future I will bring that. It's a lot lighter and airier.

I was hiking on the PCT on this trip. I saw a thru-hiker wearing a gold sequin skirt. I think really any skirt can work.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I just did a backpack trip with a cotton skirt I sewed myself from a sheet. It worked great. It was basically a quarter circle skirt, about the easiest thing to make since you don't need a pattern. I'm out west so cotton worked fine. The skirt was below the knee so when I sat down I could grab the back and wedge it between my legs to hide my underwear. It was long enough to keep my legs from getting sunburned but still airy. I sewed two grossgrain ribbons on the inside that I could use to shorten the skirt in front, kind of like the tabs in your shirt sleeves. My skirt could be whatever length I wanted, at least in the front. It got really hot and humid though and I didn't like my thighs rubbing together. So I wore running shorts underneath and used the skirt to prevent sunburn. I found a silk skirt at the thrift store. I think in the future I will bring that. It's a lot lighter and airier.

I was hiking on the PCT on this trip. I saw a thru-hiker wearing a gold sequin skirt. I think really any skirt can work.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I tried the Purple Rain Adventure skirt this week in SNP and absolutely love it. It was my first experience with a skirt without compression shorts underneath. I use body glide on my feet several times a day and applied it to my inner thighs at the same time and didn't have a problem with chafing.

Without the compression shorts, the skirt made squatting to pee much easier and minimized the exposure time and possibility of peeing on my clothes and shoes.

The pockets on this skirt are perfect...long and wide enough for a folded map, cell phone, pepper spray, and even a can of beer .

Images

What about using bike shots with no padding?

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post

I'd have to pack my heels if wearing gold sequins, and that would throw off pack weight

In all seriousness, I'm glad to see more discussions along this line. I am testing a cycling skirt by Pearl Izumu that I really like, but haven't used it for more than a day hike and it has faced no inclement weather challenges so while I enjoy it so far, who knows if it will hold up to multi-day hiking extremes?

Look forward to seeing what Just Bill creates as well. I'd not thought of longer skirts due to range of motion issues in my mental picture. Klynn, I hope you report back on a multi-day use of that Discovery skirt too.

I quit worrying about the gender orientation of my garments and started thinking about affordability and comfort (women's clothing tends to be pricier), so I have clothing pieces across the spectrum. Now if I can figure out how to pee from my silk union suit I'll be peachy 8-P

~She

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I tried the Purple Rain Adventure skirt this week in SNP and absolutely love it. It was my first experience with a skirt without compression shorts underneath. I use body glide on my feet several times a day and applied it to my inner thighs at the same time and didn't have a problem with chafing.

Without the compression shorts, the skirt made squatting to pee much easier and minimized the exposure time and possibility of peeing on my clothes and shoes.

The pockets on this skirt are perfect...long and wide enough for a folded map, cell phone, pepper spray, and even a can of beer .
    How many days hiking? Weather? (off to check website)

Thanks,
    ~She

Quote Originally Posted by She View Post
    How many days hiking? Weather? (off to check website)

Thanks,
    ~She
    3 days, overcast and drizzly to hot and humid. The only thru hiker I met was wearing the same skirt and only had good things to say about it.

Unfortunately I had to dissolve my agreement with my sewing contractor, so I am scrambling a bit right now to replace them.

That said, it's given me an opportunity to revisit the design slightly.

So a general question... I personally only use the pockets for stuffing in wrappers, or to hold a lighter and knife or other odd stuff at camp. But I understand that many of you may prefer more of a cargo pocket sized one instead. I find putting too much into the pockets they tended to slap my thighs more than I'd like. But I suppose a bigger pocket is one of those features you can not use when backpacking, but would come in handy on a dayhike or casual wear.

So the question being- any thoughts and preferences?

It might take me a bit with my current scrambling, but I may bite the bullet and sew the skirts myself. A few WB members and others have them and the feedback has been good thus far. So She and Traffic Jam... if you've got any interest in trying them out in exchange for some feedback, please shoot me an e-mail at [email protected]

I plan to start with "Not a Kilt", which is the longer version with the convertible features. It's roughly mid calf, but shortens to mid thigh and has two pockets.
    This one is an ounce heavier, but if you were only taking one it does the job on the trail and in camp.

Later I plan to add "Just a Skirt", it would be roughly mid thigh and skip the convertible features to save weight. But realistically when talking 2 ounces vs 3 ounces or so... probably not that popular for overnight backpackers. That said, the skirt version is perfect for someone who typically slips on pants at camp anyway. It's also aimed more at dayhikers and runners who don't need the extra length for warmth and or modesty at camp.

I find that I use the long version most often in all seasons and overnight trips. I enjoy the shorter one in summer or for more casual wear. And around here, it's rare that I meet somebody in camp anyway so I don't have to worry about this guy making any appearances

Journal Entries

Hey! Second post here!

In my faith, women do not wear pants and so I've grown up finding skirts for everything from horseback riding and hiking to rappelling. They exist!

In the summer, cotton maxi skirts cut off at whatever length work great. I scored several at Wally World for $6 a piece and I wear them over compression capris that have two pockets.

I've also used online tutorials for making a skirt from pants but I used men's rip stop hiking shorts. Perfect length for me, plenty of pockets, and with my capris I don't worry about modesty overly much. PM me and I would be happy to help through the process of making one if you are interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone had any experience with the Macabi brand skirt? I've been eyeballing them for awhile, but wasn't sure if they'd be good for hiking.

http://www.macabiskirt.com/

replying to myself because I can't seem to find how to edit lol! Anyway, I found that the material the macabi skirt is made from is something called Supplex. I have no idea what that is.

Images

Supplex is Nylon, perfect for hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by moongdss View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with the Macabi brand skirt? I've been eyeballing them for awhile, but wasn't sure if they'd be good for hiking.

http://www.macabiskirt.com/
    I haven't. It seems like a lot of material to deal with.
    I just ordered the kilt from Purple Rain Adventure Skirts. It has a wrap-style front. I think the wrap front would be perfect for keeping exposure to a minimum when using an FUD.

http://www.purplerainskirts.com/hiki...adventure-kilt

For me I do not care what size pockets they are as long as they close (velcro or button).

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Unfortunately I had to dissolve my agreement with my sewing contractor, so I am scrambling a bit right now to replace them.

That said, it's given me an opportunity to revisit the design slightly.

So a general question... I personally only use the pockets for stuffing in wrappers, or to hold a lighter and knife or other odd stuff at camp. But I understand that many of you may prefer more of a cargo pocket sized one instead. I find putting too much into the pockets they tended to slap my thighs more than I'd like. But I suppose a bigger pocket is one of those features you can not use when backpacking, but would come in handy on a dayhike or casual wear.

So the question being- any thoughts and preferences?

It might take me a bit with my current scrambling, but I may bite the bullet and sew the skirts myself. A few WB members and others have them and the feedback has been good thus far. So She and Traffic Jam... if you've got any interest in trying them out in exchange for some feedback, please shoot me an e-mail at [email protected]

I plan to start with "Not a Kilt", which is the longer version with the convertible features. It's roughly mid calf, but shortens to mid thigh and has two pockets.
    This one is an ounce heavier, but if you were only taking one it does the job on the trail and in camp.

Later I plan to add "Just a Skirt", it would be roughly mid thigh and skip the convertible features to save weight. But realistically when talking 2 ounces vs 3 ounces or so... probably not that popular for overnight backpackers. That said, the skirt version is perfect for someone who typically slips on pants at camp anyway. It's also aimed more at dayhikers and runners who don't need the extra length for warmth and or modesty at camp.

I find that I use the long version most often in all seasons and overnight trips. I enjoy the shorter one in summer or for more casual wear. And around here, it's rare that I meet somebody in camp anyway so I don't have to worry about this guy making any appearances

Quote Originally Posted by misprof View Post
    For me I do not care what size pockets they are as long as they close (velcro or button).
    Seems general consensus matches yours and folks like their pockets.
    I'm just going to bite the bullet (and grams and labor) and go with a basic cargo pocket with a top flap closure (velcro).
    Working on that in the next few weeks.

Any happier with the color or would you still prefer a darker one?
    You get used to your duck flap, or does it still bug ya?

Otherwise- happy spring mate!

I've never seen one in person... but the macabi is alot of material and relatively heavy. Out west (dry)... maybe, but much like the sport kilt it will double (and then some) in weight when wet and take a serious amount of time to dry out east.
    POD (of the trailshow) hiked in one... but she's about the only one I can think of who did.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Surridge View Post
    www.purplerainskirts.com she does custom orders too which is useful if you want it longer for those self conscious issues.
    May I ask what is probably a very stupid question, but seems blaringly obvious to me.....?
    If one is self-conscience about having to be in less than ladylike positions while hiking (which in all fairness, is a pretty rugged sport in itself), then why would one ever choose to wear a skirt in the first place, when there are so many other, more modest, easier options available? What is the advantage of wearing a skirt hiking?
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Quote Originally Posted by Lnj View Post
    May I ask what is probably a very stupid question, but seems blaringly obvious to me.....?
    If one is self-conscience about having to be in less than ladylike positions while hiking (which in all fairness, is a pretty rugged sport in itself), then why would one ever choose to wear a skirt in the first place, when there are so many other, more modest, easier options available? What is the advantage of wearing a skirt hiking?
    Good question! There are several reasons that I like skirts.

They are cooler, more breathable, and lighter weight than pants or shorts.
    They make changing clothes very easy and quick. If I'm at a shelter, I can put on my sleep pants under my skirt then pull the skirt off.
    A skirt is much easier to pee in and eliminates being fully exposed.

Journal Entries

I can definitely see how they would be cooler, but I didn't know they were lighter. That's a definite plus. I will doing clothing changes in my tent away from the shelters, so that one is a mute point for me, but thanks for the info. I had never even considered it.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...-Hiking-Skirts

This thread had some good info in it too.

On the clothes changing...
    Washing and swapping undies (much like socks) during the day keeps the chafe monster away. A skirt makes that task, as well as washing off salt from your thighs with a bandana from time to time, much easier.

Changing during the day is pretty common; like slipping on wind pants during a break or peeling off a layer as the morning chill fades, are simpler as well.

I wore a skirt and compression shorts for more than half of my thru. Got the skirt at NOC and would have worn it the whole way but I lost so much weight it started falling off. Love hiking in a skirt. Some women went commando and almost all of the kilt guys did. That's cool- but just know that if you go commando, people WILL see your junk, eventually. Usually while sitting on a log or something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++