WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Runner chases Appalachian Trail record - Roanoke Times

Roanoke Times

Runner chases Appalachian Trail record
    Roanoke Times
    Scott Jurek, 41, approaches McAfee Knob overlook along the Appalachian Trail in Catawba, Va. on Thursday, June 11, 2015. Jurek is on day 16 of his attempt to complete the nearly 2,220-mile trail in 42 days - the current record is 46 days held by ...

and more »

More...

I don't know. It's a free country and all so I guess it's fine but somehow these record attempts sort of some how lowers the value of this hike. Certainly was not developed for that reason, it was not the vision. I guess it would be like someone setting the record for running through a zoo the fastest or running through an art museum the fastest. Maybe it's just me.

"thru-hikes" weren't part of the "vision"

Should we be limited to someone's "vision" ?
    Hope not.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I want the record for the slowest thru hike.

Images

I dunno, Jake2c. I don't care what other folks do in the slightest, and I definitely don't think it "lowers the value of the hike". HYOH and if hiking crazy fast floats your boat, do it. Just because someone whizzes past ya on the trail doesn't mean you have to run after them.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    I want the record for the slowest thru hike.
    can you best 48 years?

It's his experience. I assume he's doing it the way that he wants.

HYOH.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    can you best 48 years?
    46 years so far and still a ways to go.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jake2c View Post
    I don't know. It's a free country and all so I guess it's fine but somehow these record attempts sort of some how lowers the value of this hike. Certainly was not developed for that reason, it was not the vision. I guess it would be like someone setting the record for running through a zoo the fastest or running through an art museum the fastest. Maybe it's just me.
    What we have is a failure to communicate...... I'm sure if you would have sat down with Scott before his hike/run and explained exactly how you want him to hike he would have done it just for you. So to keep this from happening maybe you could post yourself on Springer and provide each a written copy of how they should hike, run or crawl their hike. Then we will have harmony.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

I don't know. It's a free country and all so I guess it's fine but somehow these record attempts sort of some how lowers the value of this hike. Certainly was not developed for that reason, it was not the vision. I guess it would be like someone se
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjwjbL_2B3s
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

No, but I'm close since I finished in at a little over 40 years since June 1974 (remember Nixon?).

Yea, its just you. Not the vision? Neither was a bunch of hippys tripping on mushrooms and smoking weed 15 times a day, but i don't complain. I act like an adult and go elsewhere.

Images

Impressive if he beats the record and amazing what the human body can do!
    Simple is good.

While I'm no trail runner (more like a trail snail) I wish this guy a safe happy injury free run. With his sport blowing up I'm sure it will bring him good things if he can meet his goal. I guess if his version of adventuring on the AT isn't quite your cup of tea, just remember that hiking isn't running. He is kind of a pioneer in his own sport. Just like the first thru-hikers were. There is no need to feel as if this one man's adventure is impeding on the extremely varied and invaluably unique thru-hike that we all hold dear.

Quote Originally Posted by tsommers View Post
    Yea, its just you. Not the vision? Neither was a bunch of hippys tripping on mushrooms and smoking weed 15 times a day, but i don't complain. I act like an adult and go elsewhere.
    Hasn't been a self respecting Hippie around for about 40 years. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ondine View Post
    While I'm no trail runner (more like a trail snail) I wish this guy a safe happy injury free run. With his sport blowing up I'm sure it will bring him good things if he can meet his goal.
    Whether or not he sets the record, he's already had quite a career of running. He's basically tackling this as the finale to an amazing 15 (ish) years of competitive running, during which time he's won most of the major races multiple times. Now there are new and younger faces on the scene, like Kilian Jornet, that are setting their own new records. Scott's been a sponsored runner for years by Clif Bar and Brooks. Now he can spend his time being an ambassador of trail running and relax a little bit.

++ New Posts ++