WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pauly_j View Post
    Got a recipe? Sounds interesting. Cook it on your stove or a fire?
    I just have a mix that requires water and an egg. I also have a few bags of powdered vegan egg substitute that I got for free, with the free potato pankake mix. Dumpster diving has its benefits - I mean: the stuff is in airtight, sealed bags! I also have a paleo pankake mix that ONLY needs water and which uses almond flour that I'll probably cook in the tuna can, too.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have several. The 500 usually only goes on shorter hikes when I'm just doing FBC or DM's. Always enjoy a hot drink and with the 500 that requires two boils, thus more fuel. If I were limited to one it would be 800.

Umm, I suppose you are talking about the Oilcamp Space Saver stainless steel graduated 16 oz CUP?
    http://www.olicamp.com/products-cups...pace-saver-cup

Oilcamp also makes the Space Saver 20 oz graduated anodized alumninum MUG with up to 24 oz at the brim.
    http://www.olicamp.com/products-cups...pace-saver-mug

Know what you have and their volumes as you may have more than the 500ml you suppose.

Folks took you in one direction based on size of your meals and how you cook(FBC, et). I'd like for us to get back to your statement here: "...the cup I'm thinking of taking is the Olicamp space saver because it's a good fit for a fuel canister." It seems since both the CUP or MUG nest over a 32 oz(1qt) Nalgene or 4o oz Klean Kanteen they are of the same diameter. Either the cup or mug seems like it would fit that same size canister. Most UL 1p cookware these days is sized to fit 100g(about 3.5 - 4 oz) isobutane canisters.

The thing is 500ml (one half liter). I see that most commercial cups for solo backpacking are 650ml.

Can anyone think of a situation where I'll regret not having something bigger?

Not sure if it makes a difference but I'm also planning on cutting the top off of a coffee can, maybe a full inch. I think I can use that as a lid and also flip it over and make pancakes (large ones, one at a time.)[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Fbc is freezer bag cooking. You add hot water to a ziplock with dehydrated or dried food to rehydrate. No wash pot. To cook in a pot will take a larger pot id say.
    I just tried this method today. I don't think I'll stick with it but it's good to know something new. Thanks for the info!

little small

500 ml BIG mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by newToThrough View Post
    I just tried this method today. I don't think I'll stick with it but it's good to know something new. Thanks for the info!
    Welcome to the "FBC doesn't work for me" club.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

-

I use fuel tabs and boil over is more inconvenient than another 1/2 ounce of cup - so 650 to 750 ml

Bumped a two year old thread? For shame!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Most dinners take about 2 cups water, (500ml). if you want a little freeboard not to splash over, you need slightly bigger pot.

But, doing fbc generally get by with less water, 1.5-1.75cups because it doesnt absorb as well. So some can get by with the smaller pot.

If you want to cook in pot, probably not.
    I agree, need that head room to prevent boil over.

Have y'all measured the actual capacity of your cups?
    As memory serves, my Snow Peak Trek 700 actually tops off ~830mL.
    Here's some pics from when I was testing a stove some years ago.
    That's 24oz of water, 710mL...in a 700mL mug
    trek700.jpgtrek7001.jpg
    Not a whole lot, but there's a bit of leeway there.

I don't recall anyone mentioning IMUSA cups/pots in this thread.They are cheap and readily available.You might want to research them.They come with or without handles too.

Images

Got a link to the Imusa without handles? Thank you.ù

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I don't recall anyone mentioning IMUSA cups/pots in this thread.They are cheap and readily available.You might want to research them.They come with or without handles too.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Minibull Designs cuts 'em off, but otherwise I haven't seen any that were manufactured without handles.

SKU: 090
    Units in Stock: 18
    This is simply a 10CM imusa pot with the handle removed so it will fit inside a 12 CM imusa pot. These are not pretty but work well.
    Price: $10.00

Oops!My bad! The 10 and 12 cm aluminum "Imusa handleless knockoffs" that I have were actually made by BatchStovez and are sadly no longer available.(I guess mine are priceless now?)
    http://www.batchstovez.com/batchstovez-cook-pots.php

While we are on the subject of pot sizes and canister holding capabilities,I noted that AGG has an Evernew nesting pot/mug set on sale that will hold a 230g cannister and it only weighs 5.1 oz.Both the pot and mug have handles too.here's the link https://antigravitygear.com/shop/pro...0400ml-eca278/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    While we are on the subject of pot sizes and canister holding capabilities,I noted that AGG has an Evernew nesting pot/mug set on sale that will hold a 230g cannister and it only weighs 5.1 oz.Both the pot and mug have handles too.here's the link https://antigravitygear.com/shop/pro...0400ml-eca278/

• Holds two 110g canisters or one canister and a stove

• Holds two 110g canisters or one canister and a stove
    I am confused now because their ad says "it holds the 230g cannisters perfectly".(my 900 ml Pasta Pot will hold the 230g cannister but if the measurements on this nesting set are correct,I don't see how it would hold the 230.

Thanks,Zelph,for pointing that out.
    Last edited by Five Tango; 06-29-2019 at 17:49.

Images

It does say:
    AND holds the 230g size gas canisters perfectly!

or one canister and a stove

Maybe the one canister IS the 230

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++