WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Grayson Highlands section

My wife and I just got back from hiking Fox Creek south to Damascus. I'd only hiked this section once before, about 6 years ago, and forgot how nice it was. I can see why people really like this area.

We camped at Thomas Knob shelter the first night and under Trestle #37 where the AT (south) goes back into the woods from the Creeper Trail the 2nd night. Woke up this morning and strolled into Damascus on the Creeper Trail. It was a most enjoyable 2.5 days and the first quality time I've had with my with my wife since thru hiker season ended and shuttling has slowed down.

At the moment the trail from Fox Creek to Trestle 37 (where we got off the AT) is in great shape. Quite a lot of water except at Lost Mountain Shelter - the piped spring is running slower than a drip coffee maker - took about 10 minutes to fill a 48 oz container.

Images

Good to hear 10-K. I'm taking my son and nephew for an overnight at Grayson Highlands a week from Saturday. Love that section. My first night on the trail was at Thomas Knob. That entire area is special.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

I can't say enough positive about using the Iron Mt trail and AT loop. From Bear Tree Campground it is around 50 miles.

it sucks livin' here but i guess i'll drag my butt up there mid-august at the height of blueberry season, pick tons of berries, make blueberry pancakes and slather them with local syrup and a side of local sausage

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    it sucks livin' here but i guess i'll drag my butt up there mid-august at the height of blueberry season, pick tons of berries, make blueberry pancakes and slather them with local syrup and a side of local sausage
    I feel your pain.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bumpy View Post
    I can't say enough positive about using the Iron Mt trail and AT loop. From Bear Tree Campground it is around 50 miles.
    I've hiked that loop too. Really nice hike - the Iron Mt. trail SOBO out of Damascus is some strenuous hiking, let me tell you.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

one of our favorite parts of the AT. done this section dozens of times and cant get enough!
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Default Grayson Highlands section

I've probably hiked the stretch between Damascus and Fox Creek close to 70 times over the years using any variation of trails between the AT, Iron Mountain, and Creeper Trail. Can't get enough of it. I'll leave a bike at Fox Creek, drive to Damascus, hike back to Fox Creek, and ride my bike back to town via roads and the Creeper Trail.
    Grizzly Adam

WACphotography | Blog

I like that itinerary Grizz.

Is that about a 40 mile section? I am thinking of doing that this fall with my son.

Default Nice day on the VCT yesterday

Sorry we missed you, 10K. My wife's cycling team (with me along) did the VCT from Whitetop Gap to Damascus yesterday afternoon. Got rained on a little but it was a fine day nonetheless.

We'll be looking for you in Montana next month but will likely be gone before you reach the Lemhi Pass to Red Rock Pass section we'll be car camping along the MT side of.

Day-hiking near Grandfather Mtn today, including a piece of the MST.

AO

Images

I think it's 42 miles from Fox Creek to Damascus. It makes a nice three day hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I think it's 42 miles from Fox Creek to Damascus. It makes a nice three day hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    40.7 .........

ok thanks for info.

I spent 40 days (on two trips) backpacking that area (from Highway 16 NRA down to Mt Rogers Trail near Grindstone campground) and it's wide open for backpackers to camp nearly anywhere and avoid the AT shelters if they want. There are hundreds of campsites in the Crest Zone.

I like camping on Wilburn Ridge and had many a windy night between Massie Gap and Rhododendron Gap.

There are 4 main hills on Wilburn Ridge and this is the gap between hill 2 and hill 3---a very windy place. I call it Grandmother Gap. This is the AT also cutting across the ridge. I like to camp to the right of the AT in this pic.

My campsite in Grandmother Gap.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I spent 40 days (on two trips) backpacking that area (from Highway 16 NRA down to Mt Rogers Trail near Grindstone campground) and it's wide open for backpackers to camp nearly anywhere and avoid the AT shelters if they want. There are hundreds of campsites in the Crest Zone.

I like camping on Wilburn Ridge and had many a windy night between Massie Gap and Rhododendron Gap.

There are 4 main hills on Wilburn Ridge and this is the gap between hill 2 and hill 3---a very windy place. I call it Grandmother Gap. This is the AT also cutting across the ridge. I like to camp to the right of the AT in this pic.

My campsite in Grandmother Gap.

Dang nice campsite TiPi, gotta love Wilburn Ridge, note: http://www.southernstates.com/articl...-virginia.aspx

Images

14.5 hours till I hit the road for a hike from Massie Gap to Damascus.

Only 31 miles over the course of the hike, but this time I am bringing along one of our youth volunteers from work, a 15 year old who will be out for his first hiking trip ever. Just finished going over his food and gear and packed it up. He has worked hard to get grades up to go. He is excited and his mom is happy and excited for him.

And got an appointment for a shuttle for tomorrow about 4
    Last edited by Tuckahoe; 06-20-2015 at 09:07.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

i'll be there

For those of you with experience on both the AT section into Damascus and the Creeper Trail which would you recommend and why?

Images

The Creeper is nice - goes through a lovely gorge, very pleasant. Except on summer weekends when it's packed with cyclists.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++