WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Contacts or glasses

Hey guys I have pretty awful vision, do you think I should bring contacts or glasses going SOBO? If so, is there anything specific that I should be careful about?

As of now I'm planning on bringing month-long contacts, and some good soap.

Roll tide
    Henry

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Contacts, monthly disposable. Glasses as backup, depending on your individual situation. I just had contacts and replacements with prescription.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Glasses fog up and sweat drops on to them. I use contacts when I hike but pack an old pair of glasses as a backup.

This falls under the "if there is a doubt, there is no doubt" rule. What happens if you lose or run out of contact lenses or develop a problem in your eye(s) that won't allow you to wear them (dust, pollen, irritation, etc)? If you are unable to see well without corrected vision, glasses are good insurance.

Images

Since you're used to contacts, no reason not to wear them in the woods, too. You'd mentioned bringing your glasses as backup; spot on. I'm more comfortable without my pants than without contacts. (I know, way too much information, but like you I'm essentially blind without them.) In addition to the soap, I also bring a wash basin made from the bottom half of a gallon jug. Almost weightless, and since my cooking set fits inside it, no additional space. It's also useful for drawing water from a slow source. Also bring a small pack towel reserved just for the eyes. Tiny mirror in case a lens gets displaced or something gets in my eye.

Journal Entries

I have no problem with glasses at all.
    I consider them the least trouble.

Images

Contacts are a nuisance because you are in such an unclean environment. I could never get my fingers clean enough to remove and re-insert them. You'll need to pack a bottle of saline solution and a few spare sets of replacements.

I wear glasses and those can be a nuisance too -- frequently fogging up, and in an all-day rain I wish I had little windshield wipers. But I know that it's just one of those things I have to live with if I want to be hiking. One lesson I did learn though was NOT to wear bifocals! I found those to be an almost dangerous hinderence (for me) as I was picking my way through the rocks and roots of Maine. Now I have a pair of single-vision "trekking" glasses.

Sent from...wait, where am I again?
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

I hate both. So most of the time I don't wear either anymore. I'd say if I had to pick though I'd probably go back to glasses. My vision isn't that bad so I get by fine without anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Wearing contacts is just a matter of washing your hands. Hopefully, you're doing that anyway! I've been wearing them for 45 years; I can't imagine doing without them. My vision is horrible; glasses sort of correct them (with the loss of peripheral vision). Contacts are the first thing I put on in the morning, the last thing I take off at night. I've had about every type ever made; currently, I have single day wear multi focal lenses (no need for my reading glasses). Fortunately, technology has stayed one step ahead of my deteriorating vision!

Thanks for all the replies! There seems to be a consensus that contacts are a necessary evil, which is what I expected to begin with. Oh well maybe surgical repair is in my future.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

My son and I are section hikers, both very near-sighted contact wearers and glasses at bed time. We went back and forth on this but have settled on contacts + spare pair + glasses for the tent at night. Decision for spare pair came after my son's contacts froze one night. Decision to carry glasses came much later but after we were stealth camping alone one night and had to listen to bear playing piñata with our gear for a few hours. I decided on the spot that I wanted to be able to see what was going on outside the tent in the middle of the night without having to put in contacts. A few extra ounces but worth the trouble. BTW the bear got nada, we were well hung.

I only wear glasses, and recommend a set of Croakies glasses lanyards, and Cat Crap (yeah, that's the product name) to minimize lens fogging. Both work well.

I was really blind without corrective lenses (20/400+), which meant without contacts or glasses I would probably not be able to get myself off the trail safely.

I did my SOBO attempt with glasses. There were definite times they were annoying (rain conditions, especially). I have done quite a bit of backpacking with contacts as well, and that is almost more annoying. At that point I was carrying saline, the case, and my glasses. Keeping my hands clean to insert/remove was always a hassle.

One consideration for contacts on a thru-hike: Being able to wear sunglasses. I certainly wish I had been able to wear sunglasses, especially above treeline in Maine and New Hampshire.

I finally got LASIK and have been really pleased. Now all I take backpacking is a cheap pair of sunglasses.
    2005 SOBO Attempt (500 miles)
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
    I was really blind without corrective lenses (20/400+), which meant without contacts or glasses I would probably not be able to get myself off the trail safely.

I did my SOBO attempt with glasses. There were definite times they were annoying (rain conditions, especially). I have done quite a bit of backpacking with contacts as well, and that is almost more annoying. At that point I was carrying saline, the case, and my glasses. Keeping my hands clean to insert/remove was always a hassle.

One consideration for contacts on a thru-hike: Being able to wear sunglasses. I certainly wish I had been able to wear sunglasses, especially above treeline in Maine and New Hampshire.

I finally got LASIK and have been really pleased. Now all I take backpacking is a cheap pair of sunglasses.
    I have both Rx glasses and sunglasses, when I am wearing one pair, the other is in the crush resistant case. When you aren't able to see well, the added weight of a few grams for a pair of glasses can make all the difference.

I am legally blind without my contacts. Something like 20/500.

I HATE glasses. You lose peripheral vision, they get dirty, and get in the way. With my contacts I am 20/15.

I just bring daily disposables when I hike. It's simpler than bringing cleaning solution and a case, and it actually saves a bit of weight, believe it or not (Yes, I weighed both).

Glasses (less hassle).
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Agree with the daily contacts approach. Used on my thru-hike and definitely a good way to go. A little more expensive than monthly but worth it for short-term. Given weight and unclean environment. Bring glasses too for backup and getting out of the tent in the middle of the night.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I've always been a poor risk for contacts. I second the suggestion of a Croakies lanyard and a tin of Cat Crap.

Also, if you hike in winter Up North, ESS Striker goggles are the only ones I've found so far that work over my glasses. You need to use a good facemask or they will frost over, but that's true of any goggles.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I've been a contact user for close to 25 years now and have always hated the process of taking them out each night, cleaning them and putting them back in each morning. I tried daily lenses, but I could not stand them. If for whatever reason I fell asleep with them in, I would literally have to peel my eyes open to get them out. I now wear the monthly day and night contacts your are thinking of and have never had an issue with them. Wear for a month - toss them out and throw in a new pair - good for another month. I don't have issues with them drying out and if I do anything, its just a few re-wetting drops or Visine etc. when my eyes tell me they need it. Do be careful in the AM however after waking, they do dry out a tad, and if you rub your eyes when you wake up like I do, they are prone to tearing or working themselves out of your eye. Carry an extra set for sure! Good Luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++