WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Down Loft After Cleaning

My Marmot Helium Long 15 degree bag and Monbell UL Down Parka finally got smelly enough for me to overcome my fear of washing down and actually do the job. I purchased Nikwax down wash from REI and went to a local laundromat with extra large front end washing machines. I used 5 ounces of the down wash and ran the machine on the gentlest setting with cold water for *both* the bag and the parka in the same load. Then, according to the label instructions of the parka, I air dried it while I ran the bag through a giant front end dryer on the lowest setting for five minutes at a time over two hours using balled up socks (rather than tennis balls) to break up the down clumps. Then I let the bag air dry.

End result: I am really happy with how the bag turned out. After redistributing and fluffing up the bag a number of times, I feel like the loft is as good or even better than when it was new, and certainly better than when it was filthy.

However, I feel like the parka is not relofting that well. When I look at the individual down compartments in the jacket, I see the down still kind of clumping even though I can't imagine that it is still wet at all (and it doesn't feel wet). As a result, the down isn't lofting very well at all, certainly not like before the wash.

So did I screw up by washing the parka at all? Or should I have not run it in the same load as the sleeping bag? Or should I be patient and see if it relofts over time? The wash took place last Sunday. Thanks.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    My Marmot Helium Long 15 degree bag and Monbell UL Down Parka finally got smelly enough for me to overcome my fear of washing down and actually do the job. I purchased Nikwax down wash from REI and went to a local laundromat with extra large front end washing machines. I used 5 ounces of the down wash and ran the machine on the gentlest setting with cold water for *both* the bag and the parka in the same load. Then, according to the label instructions of the parka, I air dried it while I ran the bag through a giant front end dryer on the lowest setting for five minutes at a time over two hours using balled up socks (rather than tennis balls) to break up the down clumps. Then I let the bag air dry.

End result: I am really happy with how the bag turned out. After redistributing and fluffing up the bag a number of times, I feel like the loft is as good or even better than when it was new, and certainly better than when it was filthy.

However, I feel like the parka is not relofting that well. When I look at the individual down compartments in the jacket, I see the down still kind of clumping even though I can't imagine that it is still wet at all (and it doesn't feel wet). As a result, the down isn't lofting very well at all, certainly not like before the wash.

So did I screw up by washing the parka at all? Or should I have not run it in the same load as the sleeping bag? Or should I be patient and see if it relofts over time? The wash took place last Sunday. Thanks.
    You should have thrown the jacket in the drier with the tennis balls, don't expect it to fluff just sitting to dry.

I agree you should have put the jacket in the drier.

I would have but the label says to air dry... I guess I could still run it through a dryer but I'd be pretty nervous about that...

Since the jacket is already dry, I'd run it first on cool or air fluff or whatever dryer setting has no heat. Use the balled up socks (much more gentle than tennis balls!), and run it for five minute intervals, like you did with the bag. If it doesn't seem to be breaking up the clumps, try five minutes on the coolest warm setting. I've been doing this to re-loft my Western Mountaineering down bag and my Montbell down jacket in my dryer at home for years. Just be sure there are no jagged or rough places in the dryer that might catch and abrade or tear the shell. Some of the new shell materials on the very light jackets are pretty delicate, and that might be why the instructions say to hang dry. But a "clumpy" down jacket just won't work as well to keep you warm, so it might be worth the risk to put it in the dryer rather than having to buy a new one. BTW, I've never had any real luck trying to "massage" the clumps out, but maybe someone else has.

I'll give that a try. I have a fluff no heat setting on my dryer at home and the jacket is pretty small relative to the drum size so I think it should be ok.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Journal Entries

machines really dont do a good job at washing.
    the very tight weave of downproof fabrics prevents water moving thru them easily.
    In a machine the wet fabrics become air tight as well trap air and sit there like a balloon, not agitating well either

It really affects the ability to rinse the soap out of the down.

It works much better to tub wash them. Working the water thru the fabric and down by hand. And doing multiple cold water rinses in the tub. When the water is staying cold and clear, the item is rinsed adequately . I have re-rinsed bags that others machine washed to restore the missing loft. The loft gets more springy too, rebounding faster, like when it was new.

then when it dries, its fluffy, and stays that way.

Id try re-rinsing and redrying the item. Dry on low heat with tennis balls and check it often to make sure its not overheating. some tag materials , like tyvek-like ones, will melt, even if the item material is OK.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-19-2015 at 09:39.

you can try using a Hair drier that should fluff it back up.

Running the dryer on the air fluff setting seemed to help quite a bit on the parka. I'll have to wait a few months to see how it performs in cold weather. In the past around town I could wear a t shirt under it in temps around freezing and be comfortable when stationary, or even going into the high 20s when walking at a brisk pace around town.

The bag seems great. I'd be surprised if it lost any of its effectiveness and probably will perform better than when it was kind of dirty.

Thanks for the input on this.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

++ New Posts ++