WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

1,710,000 steps and counting! FishBone's Avatar

Default Shoes for Wide Feet

My feet are so wide (How wide? You ask.) that the outside of my little toes blister regularly when packing, even at reasonable weights (17 lb. base). My trail runners are long enough (11.5), but the standard width is not sufficient. I'm looking for light weight trail runners with EVA-type mid-sole protection and a wide toe box profile to relieve the blistering. Any suggestions?

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Look into New Balance. They are usually the only ones that I can order in my width. I am not sure about the different kinds of soles on them. I know they have a really good web site that goes over them. I ordered New Balance hiking boots from cabalas that work pretty good for me. They resemble more of a high top shoe with good tread then a hiking boot.

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

Only New Balance and Dunham come to mind.4 EEEE are the widest I have ever seen,I'm sure there are more brands.

Images

I was on Campmor's website today and they have a section for wide and narrow shoes/boots.
    Turtle2

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer
    Look into New Balance. They are usually the only ones that I can order in my width. I am not sure about the different kinds of soles on them. I know they have a really good web site that goes over them. I ordered New Balance hiking boots from cabalas that work pretty good for me. They resemble more of a high top shoe with good tread then a hiking boot.
    That's definitely cabelas.

Cabalas gave me something totally different, like a giant eating the head off of a man. Yeehaw!

Were they the NB 975 or 976, by any chance?
    Just hike.

Mine are the New Balance 851. I got them in the spring, so they are probibly last years model. The waterproofing works ok. My feet were usually wet by the end of the day anyways from the water running down my legs into the boots. Overall they probibly won't last as long as other boots, but I am happy with them. They are pretty comfortable, compairable to their running shoes, and with socks and linear socks I did not have any foot problems over extended weeked hikes.

I am stil trying to decide between boots, trail runners, or chacos to hike in next year. If I decide on boots or runners, I would go with some version of New Balance shoes. Let me know if you need more info on them.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...h-results1.jsp

I've seen shoes up to 6E wide on the New Balance website. Can't remember what styles, but here's the address.

http://www.nbwebexpress.com/default.asp

That's a pretty cool site. Never heard of it before.

But after 8 years of college I learned that, why say something in 24 characters when you can say something in 724. That is the difference between no credit and partial credit for a wrong answer.

What they said, New Balances. Find the New Balance store in your area, and they will square you away. It is all good.

Bassline

1,710,000 steps and counting! FishBone's Avatar

Thanks for all the resources! I checked out the New Balance / Dunham shoes and I've found a few models that look promising. I've got a New Balance store nearby that I can visit to actually try on the shoes. Looks like I may have happy hiker feet next season!

Images

asics makes 2e and 4e... roadrunnersports.com
    See ya when I get there.

++ New Posts ++