WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Winter hikes-fleece pants?

my brother seems to think that hardly no one wears fleece pants as their second layer when winter hiking...is this true? how many of you out there wear fleece pants when you winter hike?

Images

No, I don't carry fleece pants; but if I did, it would only be for sleeping and definitely not for hiking. Too hot for all but arctic conditions and if I get cold while hiking, I already have capilenes, pants, and as a last resort, rain pants. Think layers and always having something dry for stops( even if it is very light ).
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

I ended up sending them home before I started.

But when I helped sail a square-rigger from Maine to PA this October they sure came in handy standing lookout at 4am in 30 degree weather and heavy seas! It is amazing how much more clothing it takes to stay warm standing still getting lashed with saltspray than carrying a pack up a mountain.

Still the same principle held true. Here is what I wore:

Dark blue "Hopland Women's Festival" T-shirt
    Blue lightweight Capilene polypro tights
    Grey midweight Capilene tights and top
    Black heavy Polartec fleece pants
    Khaki Windproof nylon drawstring pants
    Blue Polartec pullover bought at finish of SF Marathon
    Black "Michigan Womyn's Music Festival" Polartec vest
    Purple winter weight Polartec jacket
    Black fleece lined Ship's Crew jacket
    "Grahams of Montrose" tartan wool scarf
    Seirus Fleece balaclava hood
    Trademark light blue wide brimmed hat w/ STRONG drawstring
    Bright yellow shoulder high foul weather pants w/ suspenders
    Bright yellow foul weather coat, both by Helly Hansen
    Tan heavy Smartwool socks
    Blue foam-lined french Guy Cotten rubber sea boots
    Seirus Black thin polypro gloves

Accessorize with:
    Survival whistle/compass
    Black dual AA Maglite w/ red lens for night vision
    Black web military fatigue belt holding a...
    Black ballistic nylon scabbard holding...
    Rosewood handled Myerchin fixed blade rigging knife and
    Curved 6' Myerchin stainless steel marlinspike, both with
    Green tarred marline lanyards; eye spliced, not knotted
    Petzl rock climbing harness with 1 meter purple lanyard and extra-large gate carabiner

Note that it took only one layer of fleece on my legs and four layers of fleece on my torso!

The only true pants I hike with are rain pants. I have long thermals to sleep in though. IMO, it is not worth the weight of the fleece. If you want to stay warm, buy a down vest. It will keep your core warmer, and your body will be able to give more heat to your legs. Remember, what works for me could be different than what works for you. It is all good.

Bassline

Images

Hike in Fleece pants ? Nope and I don't know anyone that does.
    I ditto the above mentioned post about "layers"
    But if you end up getting fleece pants and using them as one of your layers I am sure you'll stay warm in them.

Default hike in fleece pants?

Just to be a bit of a contrarian, for many years I subscribed to the "keep your core warm" idea. Lately though, with lots of hiking in winter, temps from maybe 20 down to a few degrees below zero, I find that I am more comfortable with insulation on my legs, and especially lavish head face and neck insulation, and rather modest insulation on the torso. With heavy longjohns, wind pants, produce bags under my sox but just regular midheight hiking shoes, facemask, fleece hat, all I needed was a medium sweater under a goretex parka, at minus 6 and a 30 mph wind. With my old system, I'd have needed a killer down jacket. Whatever works, I guess. Everybody's got to kill their own snakes. (An old cowboy saying I'm not sure I understand) Bill

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default fleece pants are old tech

for me no way to hike with that kind of heat build up....
    if it is miserably cold and a stiff wind then smartwool aerotights---maybe 4oz---and rain/wind pants, the Golite 4oz model....
    on another thread Thermawrap stuff is being discussed. if i carry anything like fleece pants it would be Thermawrap pants--over half the weight saved and much warmer.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

My wife and I have fleece pants that we take occassionally if we anticipate that we're going to have an extended amount of time in camp during the winter, such as short hiking days. But we don't wear them while actually hiking. We've done winter backpacking in temps around the 15-20 degree range and every once in a while I'll wear a set of silk longjohns first thing in the morning with with long pants, but not for very long.
    kncats

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

The forecast for my trip has to be really cold (ie, temps never getting above 20 degrees during the day) for me to pack fleece pants. The only time I have worn them while hiking was during a cold front in the Blue Ridge in Pisgah NC. I did a 3 day hike over an exposed part of the Art Loeb after a snowstorm dumped over a foot of snow and the temperature during the day never got above 5-10F. Nighttime temps dipped into the double digits below 0 range. I was glad I had them.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

I forgot to mention that my fleece pants are really thick 300-pile expedition weight. My buddy often takes fleece pants during the winter, but his are more like microfiber design.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Fleece pants are great in camp (along with down booties) when camping in winter conditions, but if you try to wear them hiking, you'll end up stopping halfway up the first hill to strip them off. (BTDT). I rarely even wear lightweight long underwear for hiking as my legs generate so much heat when moving. For an AT hike, I really wouldn't bother even for camp. Most hikers just get into their sleeping bags to keep warm.

Agree with Spirit Walker about them being great in camp. I bring them despite their bulk but only put them on after ending the day's hike. At night, they form a good pillow. During the day, I hike in spandex.

I did wear them once on a day hike last winter in Shenandoah NP when the temperature started at 14 degrees (and that was before considering the wind chill).

I never hike in fleece pants during winter, at most polypro long johns under my rain paints. It would need to be around 25 or lower though. My legs produce a lot of heat and it is much easier to add/subtract weight elsewhere rather than putting on/taking off pants. I carry 200 wt fleece pants for in camp and a set of polypro or silk long johns. I much prefer to be out of my bag while camped.

Fleece pants and shirt are good in camp on a cold night. I don't hike in fleece. Too hot ! At the end of the day it is great to get into something that is dry and warm. I sleep in polyester or polypro because fleece with my zero degree bag would be too warm but just sitting around, talking or cooking dinner , fleece is great.
    If we look at the path, we do not see the sky. We are earth people on a spiritual journey to the stars. Our quest, our earth walk is to look within, to know who we are, to see that we are connected to all things, that there is no separation, only in the mind.
    - Native American, source unknown

I wear microfleece tights when hiking in very cold conditions, but keep heavyweight fleece for camp or long rests.

There is a BIG difference between winter hiking in the Presidentials and winter hiking in the Southern Appalachians. Winter Hiking in the Presidentials is considered solid training for McKinley summit attempts. -20 farenheit ain't unusual up there.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Have to agree with most of the above posters. Fleece is bad news for hiking and only okay for camp. Stick with some long johns or tights under shorts and a pair of rain pants if need be.
    <A HREF="http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/"TARGET="Jackie's BLOG">http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/</A>

++ New Posts ++