WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section 3 Long-term Parking?

Since Sections 1 and 2 look like they'll be closed, does anyone know a good place to park long-term at Section 3?

There's probably not any safe parking options near the trail or Buffalo Creek for more than a week or so. It's probably best to park in long-term storage in the city and get a ride to Little Scraggy Trailhead. That makes it easier to retrieve your vehicle at the end also. if you need a ride from Denver to Buffalo Creek in the next week or two let me know. I'm local and retired and would like to look at the South Platte along Foxton Road anyhow (assuming that's possible). I'm now thinking a mid-July start looks best for my own CT hike, there's a lot of water to come and it just got very hot along the Front Range the past two days. Just hoping the footbridge on the Platte doesn't wash out in the next few days...

Quote Originally Posted by kenb2 View Post
    There's probably not any safe parking options near the trail or Buffalo Creek for more than a week or so.
    How will parking be safer in more than a week? Do you mean from people or the elements?
    It's probably best to park in long-term storage in the city and get a ride to Little Scraggy Trailhead.
    That's what I figure I'll do.
    If you need a ride from Denver to Buffalo Creek in the next week or two let me know.
    Thanks. I'm not in Denver but I guess I could park near Section 1 anyway like I had originally planned? I sort of prefer that because I guess it'll be easier to get back to Denver than to someplace in the middle of the state.
    I'm local and retired and would like to look at the South Platte along Foxton Road anyhow (assuming that's possible).
    Why wouldn't it be possible?
    I'm now thinking a mid-July start looks best for my own CT hike, there's a lot of water to come and it just got very hot along the Front Range the past two days. Just hoping the footbridge on the Platte doesn't wash out in the next few days...
    I'm not sure what this means. Do you think any of the above would affect a CT hiker starting in the next week or so?

Parking unattended for too long runs the risk of your vehicle being towed away as abandoned.

Roads in the area may be closed due to flooding.

++ New Posts ++