WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Total Knee Replacement

Well, I've now done 16 section hikes but what was bothersome knee pain made manageable with PT and ibuprofen some dozen years ago (hence the trail name) has become bone-on-bone arthritis making it difficult to walk and impossible to backpack. Total knee replacement is now in my future. I would love to hike again. Has anyone here gone through that? Any stories? Advice?
    Thanks
    Kneegrinder

I have not but a friend of mine has and still hikes. Also if Pilgrim is on this site. I met him in 2014 by Old Apple Orchard Falls in Va. He was attempting a thru. I know he got as far as Connecticut. He had a total knee job in 2013. He might be able to give you some info.

A buddy of mine had his knee replaced a few years ago. It took him about 9 mo before he quit complaining about the operation. Then, it quit bothering him. Since then, he's gone on 3 hikes to the Grand Canyon, a hike in Big Bend, & a successful completion of the Inca Trail in Peru.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

I have had both of mine replaced 5 years ago. I've done many section hikes and am going to attempt a sobo thru in July.
    Greatest thing since sliced bread IMO. Only advice I can give is DO THE REHAB! Truly one of those 'you get what you put into it' kind of things.
    It's going to hurt like the dickens but in 2 weeks all that will be past and you will notice the flexibility and strength return.

I had a TKR 5 years ago and never regretted it. I hike, ride bicycle with no problems, just work hard at your rehab and continue for at least 6 months after you are released by the Dr., biking and swimming seemed to help me a great deal.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries

I had a double knee replacement dome four years ago(both at the same time). I am hiking, biking and everything in between. You cannot jog but you can scoot though. I had rehab in the hospital. it takes more than 2 weeks though. I was doing rehab in the hospital, at home and going into the rehab center. this was for 3-4 months. I was also taking some heavy painkillers until the time i was able to go there on my own, which was about 1 month. I now show my knee scars proudly. make sure you tell the doctors that you are active. also ask how to get in shape. you need to get the quads and other leg muscles a bit stronger before the operation.

Journal Entries

I had a double knee replacement dome four years ago(both at the same time). I am hiking, biking and everything in between. You cannot jog but you can scoot though. I had rehab in the hospital. it takes more than 2 weeks though. I was doing rehab in the hospital, at home and going into the rehab center. this was for 3-4 months. I was also taking some heavy painkillers until the time i was able to go there on my own, which was about 1 month. I now show my knee scars proudly. make sure you tell the doctors that you are active. also ask how to get in shape. you need to get the quads and other leg muscles a bit stronger before the operation.

Journal Entries

oops, something went wonky and it was posted twice.

Thanks Everyone
    It helps to have something to look forward to.
    Good luck on your sobo nuknees. Let us know how it goes.
    I've gotten the advice about rehab but appreciate the counsel to strengthen before the procedure so will get to it.
    Kneegrinder

I know this is an old thread, but it’s right on topic. I got a new knee a week ago. I’m doing the rehab dutifully. I’m wondering what kinds of things might be different. Does the new knee change getting up and down to get in and out of a tent? Are there other actions that will have to change? I don’t want to through hike, but I want to be able to do some sections. TIA. Pringles

This is an old thread, but having had one of these last April, I would recommend it should anyone be faced with this decision now.

had mine done a little over a month ago

I’m glad I had it done, and that I’m past the really painful part. The PT is going well, and I’m so excited to get out there backpacking. I forgot to mention to the therapist today that I need to know how to get up from the ground, and stuff like that. Considering the area where I live, he deals with a lot of hikers. It’s good to hear from other hikers, though.

++ New Posts ++