WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I just did this section in April with a friend and met her in Unicoi Gap and we went north to Sandy Gap and beyond. After Sandy Gap you climb some serious hills north to Sled Runner Gap and all the way down Brookshire Creek which you cross and then head up to the top of Sugar Mt. Right before you get to the top there's a spring water source you cross over and then on top there are several good campsites.

Down the north side of Sugar but near the top you pass a wonderful little spring the trail crosses (and there's a campsite nearby on a ridge finger).

Once over Sugar you're now on the Sycamore Creek trail which climb 3,000 feet in about 7 miles to Whiggs Meadow, then a 1.5+ mile drop to Mud Gap and the steep climb up to the Rock Quarry. I personally wouldn't camp in Mud Gap because of the motorcycle noise but instead go up to the quarry and camp and get water on the way up at any noticeable side spring.

And go beyond Beech Gap 1.7 miles and you'll hit Cold Spring Gap which is a much better place to camp than Beech; and there's water down the South Fork 105 side (left) or down the old logging cut to the right which opens up into a fantastic campsite with an actual creek. (Bob Creek and down into the "wedge" and Little Cove Camp---Sgt Rock knows about this spot and we once camped there in a windstorm).
    Tipi, you are the man!

Thanks for the information, especially the Sugar Mt campsites and spring information. Hopefully we can do that 20 mile day and make it there to camp night 1 and the hike to car to finish the weekend hike the next morning.

We don't plan to camp at Mud Gap. That is just the place we would like to park our car for the overnight hike.

And I think I also officially decided to skip the tail of the dragon and slick rock fording and do the official re-route.

I am excited that after the Unicoi to Mud and Mud to Fontana, I am going to finally be back in the smokies!!! I can't wait!
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

Images

Some in the BMTA has advanced the idea of the Slickrock Loop using the old and new section of the BMT. The person that originated that idea wanted to call it one of the hardest hikes in the area, my reply is they would have to get the Nutbuster in there if they wanted it to truly be the hardest hike in the area.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    Alright guys, I am back. I don't know when I will do this hike, but hopefully before October or the beginning of October.

WEEKEND 3: Total Miles -33.2 miles
    Day 1: Unicoi Gap (129.2 miles) | 35.225595 -84.290139 to Campsite (152.3 miles). Day 1 miles 24.1 miles
    *Is there a campsite on near Sugar Mt where we can make this hike a little shorter on day 1, but not add too much to day 2? After last hike, I am positive I can no longer do a 24 mile day. So making this day shorter by 2-5 miles would be pretty important to me, but I do not want to add too much to day 2. I like getting home at a reasonable hour Sunday.
    Day 2 Campsite (152.3 miles) to Mud Gap (161.0 miles) | 35.324747, -84.032716. Day 2: 9.1 miles.

I may go to Beech Gap like Traffic Jam suggested.

What do I need to know or see in this section? I will have more specific questions as I get closer to this hike and really look at the guide and map to plan it out. At this point, I just know the start and end locations.

I am also starting to strongly consider doing the official re-route away from the road walk near the smokies, but I am not sure.

I hiked SOBO from Tellico River Rd. to Unicoi Gap. Brookshire Creek to Unicoi Gap kicked my butt but I still managed 16 miles through there, that was with a hip problem and a lot of pain. I think you'll do great. On day 1, you'll walk by an old ambulance and Dr. Rogers' house, described here in the 2nd paragraph http://www.telliquah.com/roundhouse.htm.

Your 2nd day will be fast with some pretty scenery. Tellico River Rd. to Whigg Meadow is a gentle climb. Plan on having lunch at Whigg Meadow.

I will be hiking north of you around the same time. I hope to do Beech Gap to the tunnel.

Have a great trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I hiked SOBO from Tellico River Rd. to Unicoi Gap. Brookshire Creek to Unicoi Gap kicked my butt but I still managed 16 miles through there, that was with a hip problem and a lot of pain. I think you'll do great. On day 1, you'll walk by an old ambulance and Dr. Rogers' house, described here in the 2nd paragraph http://www.telliquah.com/roundhouse.htm.

Your 2nd day will be fast with some pretty scenery. Tellico River Rd. to Whigg Meadow is a gentle climb. Plan on having lunch at Whigg Meadow.

I will be hiking north of you around the same time. I hope to do Beech Gap to the tunnel.

Have a great trip!
    Thanks for the information. Sounds like you will be out there for a great hike. Close to a 70 mile section.

If you plan to do the re-route, please let me know how the conditions are on the reroute. We will be doing that next after this weekend. Next will be either Mud Gap or Beech Gap to Fontana Dam. I will be doing the reroute and skipping the Ford and the Tail of the Dragon.

BTW, SGT Rock, thanks for the errata sheets on the reroute from your website. I greatly appreciate it.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    AT - 15% complete

Images

No problem. I plan to be out 2-6 October on part of it. Maybe we will run into you if you are out there.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Is there a place to camp at Peels Gap? I don't have my guide on me, but is i think a little over 2 miles past Unicoi Gap (129ish). One tent and one tree hanger.

Thank you in advance!
    Foothills Trail - 14
    AT - 15% complete

There's a field 1.5 miles south of Peels Gap with possible camping, no established site that I remember and no water source. Then there's a site with water source 1.2 mi north at the intersection with trail 117, if I'm reading my guide correctly. Also, 2.1 mi north is the stone house ruins with places to camp and a spring box.

CAMPS BETWEEN UNICOI GAP AND TATE GAP

Mayapple forest. The stretch on the BMT between Unicoi Gap and Tate Gap has many campsites if you're willing to clear them. Most are full of poison ivy but I found this spot right off the trail (looking north towards Tate Gap) and I'm right near Peels Top. Neat thing is, there's a spring water source right as the trail crosses over the ridge onto the Tate Gap homestead side.

Let's leave Peels Top and go south back to Unicoi Gap. Okay, now head north out of the Gap and in less than a mile there's this trailpost and right next to it a big old logging turnaround with room for several tents.

I went north past the sign about 150 yards and found this nice campsite right by the trail. Neat thing is, there's water in Unicoi Gap if you know where to look. And no, it's not the source mentioned by Sgt Rock. His source is right on the road which is subject to roadside pollution.

So anyway, if you stand in Unicoi Gap facing the bar gate and facing north on the BMT which is a logging road, go up about 100 feet and look down to your left (way down) and there's this nice little creek for water. Makes camping at the above mentioned spots possible.

So guys next section is going to be Fontana to Noland Trailhead. About 36 miles. Any information on the trail? Any campsites to avoid. We are looking at campsites 77 or 76 i believe. Depending how big we think we can go on day 1. I expect it to be 19 to 23 miles. The trail looks fairly flat on the lakeshore trail which I am hoping will help us have a big day 1.

Anything I need to know? Side trails to anything cool? Stuff not in guide books? Campsites to avoid? Any notes you would like to share? Anything that is or may be confusing to first timers on this section.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    AT - 15% complete

Back for more advice. The next section of the trail will be Noland Creek Trailhead to Smokemont. About 24-25 miles. I have learned there is at least one (but possibly up to several) fords in this section. I am not that excited to do it in the middle of winter. If it does happen this year, it will likely happen in DEC. I'd rather not do the bypass if possible.

How worried should I be about the fords? How many are there? Anything else I need to know in this section?
    Foothills Trail - 14
    AT - 15% complete

Now that I finished my section hike of the BMT, I want to thank SGT Rock, Tipi Walter, and Traffic Jam for the wealth of information you guys passed to me in this thread. I greatly appreciate it.

Sgt Rock, I cannot imagine how long it took you to put your guide together. I wouldn't and couldn't have done the trail without it.

Thank you all! On to the next adventure.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    AT - 15% complete

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++