WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Two People

Default Two People

Person-A and Person-B They both hike a trail. The same trail they start at mile 0 both finish at mile 2000.
    Person-A has the newest light weight gear--- pack, sleeping bag, stove, cookware, shelter---- everything
    right down to a spoon the lightest one man can make. Spent $3500 on this gear. Also wears the best
    [hiking clothes] that money can buy. Has $500 dollar shoes.
    Person-B Has two 5 gallon buckets inside is cheap camping gear spent $150 for everything. Wears cotton
    clothes. has on walmart boots $30 dollars.

They both have fun hiking the trail.

Now is Person-A more of a thru hiker than person-B ???

Is Person-B less of a hiker than Person-A?????

The point is don't think someone else is not a hiker when they don't meet your standards of what a hiker should
    look like or wear.
    HYOH

Just some food for thought......................................
    Have a nice day and as always Have fun and HYOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Images

Hmmmm went hiking this week with two others and saw many folks on the trail... there was never a discussion about anyone's gear.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

i'm more apt to hang around person B. plus they tend to finish the trail.

It depends. What are the buckets made of?

Images

Does anyone else get trail critiques on gear randomly from other hikers. I have an over sized rain cover from campmor that droops well below the pack. I had a guy just blurt out some gibberish about moneys worth on the pack. Must have been the gear weenie inspector

Images

Just don't fret too much about what others think? Simple. Solution.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by rain man View Post
    just don't fret too much about what others think? Simple. Solution.
    +1. Hyoh.

Journal Entries

Gear is irrelevant, with the exception that lighter lets you hike farther, faster.

Just like in everyday life, where you have materialistic people that brag about what they have, how much it costs, etc. Expect to see some of that on trail too.

Ignore them.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-21-2015 at 23:54.

Sorry, a poorly equipped hiker has a poor chance of finishing the trail. The well equipped hiker will have a much better chance, although it's not enough to guarantee success.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Person B is going to have a major challenge when they get to northern new England where there are ledges and boulders to climb up and down. Carrying buckets will definitely slow someone down as they are going to need a rope to drop the buckets down or pull them up.

I find gear discussions are generally just an ice breaker.

Journal Entries
    Images

Not sure about the buckets, but I think the larger point is a good one.

Issue is not what others think, however.

Its what we think of ourself.

I have bought plenty of stuff because it was the thing to do at the time, and frankly because the "thing" made me feel like more of a backpacker.

I expect there are may on this list with a Terraplane collecting dust in closet that would admit the same.
    Last edited by rickb; 06-22-2015 at 06:08.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Sorry, a poorly equipped hiker has a poor chance of finishing the trail. The well equipped hiker will have a much better chance, although it's not enough to guarantee success.
    Exactly. What wasn't mentioned is that the second guy is carrying significantly more weight. Few of us buy better [expensive] gear because we're rich and care little about the price. We buy it because it matters.

Journal Entries

Question was not about chances of finishing trail, it was if they are less of a hiker because they are different. The supposition was that they both did hike the exact same distance.

There is some snobbery by some, that requires you "fit in" to the mold.

People with less money to spend on gear can be ostracized and not fit in. On todays trail scene grandma gatewood would have been an outcast, avoided and ridiculed as a crazy homeless person. Probably would be reported to authorities as being a threat to herself as well.

People were hiking the trail successfully long before todays modern gear appeared.

Heck, on her first hike JPD used a mop handle as a hiking pole, and an old too-small pack from her brothers time in scouts.

While you are making up reasons it cant be done, know that Animal carried his food in a 5 gal bucket in 2012, all the way.

Just because you are too much of a wimp to do it, doesnt mean everyone else is.

2014Animal_16095.jpg
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-22-2015 at 07:08.

There are hundreds of person A every year, and person B is hypothetical. And there are thousands of thruhikers that are much more like person A than person B.

What makes person A "more of a thru hiker" is that he exists in actual reality, and not only in your conjecture.

But thank you for your thought-experiment, I guess. Generally, I find that 'shrooms and forum posting don't mix well.
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Quote Originally Posted by shakey_snake View Post
    There are hundreds of person A every year, and person B is hypothetical. And there are thousands of thruhikers that are much more like person A than person B.

What makes person A "more of a thru hiker" is that he exists in actual reality, and not only in your conjecture.

But thank you for your thought-experiment, I guess. Generally, I find that 'shrooms and forum posting don't mix well.
    I'm not so sure how hypothetical person B is; there was a hiker by the name of Animal (IIRC) that thruhiked carrying buckets.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    I'm not so sure how hypothetical person B is; there was a hiker by the name of Animal (IIRC) that thruhiked carrying buckets.
    I just noticed post #13, you can see his pic.

Quote Originally Posted by offpher View Post

Just some food for thought......................................

If this is food for thought I'm sure it came off the Mickey D's dollar menu. It's very divisive rhetoric.

Since most thru-hikers resemble person-B they would be the majority. Likewise, person-A would be in the minority. Your tone toward person-A is condescending, and just shows your animosity toward others.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Yes, I remember Animal. I followed his trail journal a couple years ago.

Still, that's 1 Animal, 1 year, and only 1 bucket. Also, if you want to be technical, he was a LASHer--albeit and interesting and colorful one. He's not really OP's person B.
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Person-C, Talks a lot about what it takes to thru-hike but never successfully finished one.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shakey_snake View Post
    Yes, I remember Animal. I followed his trail journal a couple years ago.

Still, that's 1 Animal, 1 year, and only 1 bucket. Also, if you want to be technical, he was a LASHer--albeit and interesting and colorful one. He's not really OP's person B.
    Animal has hiked several years, and 2012 was a thru-hike.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++