WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Other makes are available!

The Tilley seems to have blown up recently in Britain as well. I have a similar hat made by Dorfman Pacific. It's the 'big brim booney hat'. Really like it, super light, 100% nylon, cord to tighten around the head and around the chin also.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    A wide-brimmed hat is overrated for sun protection. In open country, much of your UV exposure comes from ambient light or light reflected off the ground (this is why you can get a sunburn on a cloudy day or standing under a tree on a sunny day). You will want lots and lots of sunscreen on top of your hat. Plus think about an OR sunrunner or something with a cape that goes across your ears/neck.

Also, wear a long-sleeved shirt with good UV protection, and think about a sun umbrella. There is very little shade on the CDT. Even the forested areas are mostly open.
    Bingo! Last year at a youth camp I was life guarding them on a beach. I stood under a tree just off the beach thinking how prudent I was being and was sunburned the worst I have ever been in the last 20 years. The UV was reflecting off the water right onto me. The next camp at the same location a few weeks later, I wore sun blocked everywhere...no problem.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that a Tilley hat was a sunscreen replacement! It's more like a well made head umbrella.

Since I've been spending so much time at the dermatologist lately I've taken to slathering 30 SPF all over my head and hands *and* wearing my Tilley hat. I'm also wearing long sleeved shirts.

Don't conflate keeping the sun out of your eyes with UV protection.

Images

I bought the vented Tilley hat last year for a JMT hike. Liked it a lot. Cooler than a ball cap and obviously better sun protection. Also provided enough rain protection to keep my glasses mostly clear. Expensive, but great quality.

Images

I look like an alien when I'm going around in the sun. Tilly hat (not sure of model; about 15 years old); sunglasses; Buff around neck; long-sleeved shirt; gloves to protect backs of hands; long pants; socks to cover feet if I'm wearing sandals. Sometimes I cover my lower face with a bandana, or the Buff. I use a little sunscreen on my face and around my wrists. I prefer this get-up to slathering on the sunscreen.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    You will want lots and lots of sunscreen on top of your hat.
    I would probably put the sunscreen on my skin, instead. (Sorry, could not resist.)

My dad just had a big chunk taken out of his nose; apparently it was bad so they went pretty deep. I got burned a lot when I was young, so I expect the same thing at some point, but now I use sunscreen all the time. Even with my hemp Tilley hat, which is ten years old and going strong.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I now keep a big bottle of sunscreen by the front door so I'll see it on the way out. Trying to get the habit going...

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Plus you'll look dapper in the hat.

Being serious, the clothes/sunscreen/hat combo is a winner.

I don't know if a wide hat is overrated or not.

All I know is that I get less "color" when I wear a wide hat...on my face and neck. Being bald, I have to wear some sort of hat.

I have light sun spots on my cheek that get darker when I DON'T wear a sunhat. I now only try to wear ball caps in town only.

Note: I put sunscreen on my face, now, too.

(Like many people my age, I was blase' about sunscreen when younger. Go to the beach? What's sunscscreen ??!? And I have a darker complexion naturally. Does not matter.)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pauly_j View Post
    Other makes are available!

The Tilley seems to have blown up recently in Britain as well. I have a similar hat made by Dorfman Pacific. It's the 'big brim booney hat'. Really like it, super light, 100% nylon, cord to tighten around the head and around the chin also.
    Another vote for the big brim boonie hat. It's cheap, lightweight, sheds water, doesn't blow off in a high wind, keeps the bug net out of my face, and has UPF 50 ultraviolet protection. It makes me look like a total dweeb, but that's true of nearly everything I wear.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++