WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Tilley hat... Sunscreen... Skin cancer

3 topics, all sort of related.

1. After years of sun loving, no sunscreen fun I've found myself getting carved on (Moh's procedure) and various pre-cancer spots frozen in on my body.

Which leads me to #2

2. Sunscreen would likely have prevented this but when you're young...you're invincible.

3. While I was at the dermatologist's yesterday I bought a Tilley hat for my CDT hike. If you've never seen a Tilley hat I really suggest finding one and trying it out. Probably not for everyone but I believe it's probably the most well-made hat I've ever tried on. Wide brimmed, plenty of sun protection, etc.

Yep, you really want a wide brimmed hat out there. That was one mistake I made in Glacier, I only had a baseball cap and that was not enough.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

A wide-brimmed hat is overrated for sun protection. In open country, much of your UV exposure comes from ambient light or light reflected off the ground (this is why you can get a sunburn on a cloudy day or standing under a tree on a sunny day). You will want lots and lots of sunscreen on top of your hat. Plus think about an OR sunrunner or something with a cape that goes across your ears/neck.

Also, wear a long-sleeved shirt with good UV protection, and think about a sun umbrella. There is very little shade on the CDT. Even the forested areas are mostly open.

I used a OR sunrunner on the Colorado Trail last year and on my PCT section through mile 857 this year and it did the job in terms of keeping my neck and side of my face from burning. I only applied sunscreen to the front of my face and nose. Even then I was pretty red from sun exposure most of the time and I have relatively dark skin.

This is what I wear. Skin cancer is no joke. My father died from skin cancer. I get checked at least yearly.

After years of being a beach lifeguard and then a scuba instructor, I've upped my game.

Hat 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post

1. After years of sun loving, no sunscreen fun I've found myself getting carved on (Moh's procedure) and various pre-cancer spots frozen in on my body.

Which leads me to #2

2. Sunscreen would likely have prevented this but when you're young...you're invincible.

3. While I was at the dermatologist's yesterday I bought a Tilley hat for my CDT hike. If you've never seen a Tilley hat I really suggest finding one and trying it out. Probably not for everyone but I believe it's probably the most well-made hat I've ever tried on. Wide brimmed, plenty of sun protection, etc.
    Amen, Brother! I looked for a long time before I found a Tilley hat at the Mast Store in Boone in my size and a style that I really like. It goes everywhere with me now.

[delete]...[/delete]

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I have a Tilley hat that has venting on the sides. I can't wear a baseball hat, makes me sweat too much.
    The tilley hat solves that. I keep a $20.00 bill in a small zip lock bag in the secret department on the inside top of the hat. The drawstrings when adjusted hold the hat on even in a brisk wind.

I wore a sunrunner on the PCT. It did the job but I don't like anything in my peripheral vision so it gave me the same problem a rain jacket with a hood does. I could alway see the flaps out of the corner of my eyes.

Lost my Tilley in GSMNP last year...just replaced it Use it for just about everything outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by hobby View Post
    Lost my Tilley in GSMNP last year...just replaced it Use it for just about everything outdoors
    I mailed off my warranty card today. Supposedly they'll sell you a new one if you lose yours within 2 years of purchase. I'm guessing the thing will get lost a long time before it wears out.

I too like the string setup that keeps it from blowing off - better than the cord that wraps around your chin.

had the other one for years! I think the warranty now is 50%off if you loose it--but not sure Registered it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by hobby View Post
    had the other one for years! I think the warranty now is 50%off if you loose it--but not sure Registered it anyway
    Yeah, I forgot the 50% off part... The way my post reads is funny... of course they'll sell you a new one.

Great hats, except for the huge brim which just gets in the way. No hat is going to shade the lower part of your face. But a bucket hat does almost as good a job of covering your forehead, ears, and neck with a lot less hassle, and you can just stuff it in your pocket so you don't look like an old man when someone takes your picture. I use the sea-to-summit version, but I think Tilly makes one that's probably a lot nicer but doesn't fit in your pocket as well. You need sunscreen, regardless.

nope, can't put a Tilley in your pocket. If I could, I would not have lost mine! I strapped it on the pack, but wasn't there at the end of the day. Didn't strap it on very good apparently. Yes--sunscreen should always be used.

Yeah, I forgot the 50% off part... The way my post reads is funny... of course they'll sell you a new one.
    I read your post as 'send' you a new one. I'm sure they will SELL you a new one also! funny

One more Tilley fan here. Other hats would work, too, I suppose. I always grease up for sun activities, too. There is a lot to be said for an old cotton dress shirt in hot weather as well.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Is there a particular model of Tilley hat you guys prefer? I need a summer hat for the JMT. Sounds like my baseball cap is not going to cut it.

Scott

Journal Entries
    Images

Which leads me to #2

2. Sunscreen would likely have prevented this but when you're young...you're invincible

Sorry to hear this 10-K hope u have a good dermitologist and get better.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Is there a particular model of Tilley hat you guys prefer? I need a summer hat for the JMT. Sounds like my baseball cap is not going to cut it.

Scott
    Airflo ..................
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I don't always wear a hat but when I do it's a Tilly style with the cordage for blow off protection. It does get heavy in the rain though.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++