WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Whiteblaze beer

Default Whiteblaze beer

Anyone ever seen this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

No, but I'd like to try it - although I'm more of an IPA dude. How is it?

it's in the grocery store here in damascus. brewed in abingdon

Images

I had it recently on a trip to the Damascus area. It's not my preferred style of beer but it was pretty good. A bit on the sweet side.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCut View Post
    I had it recently on a trip to the Damascus area. It's not my preferred style of beer but it was pretty good. A bit on the sweet side.
    all craft beer is the same. goofy names, overpriced

Question: What does domestic beer have in common with making love in a canoe?

Answer: Either way it's fu**ing damn near water!

Most people don't even know what India Pale Ale stands for. Here's a bit of history for ya:

IPA was invented by the British during their efforts to colonize India. Again and again, the beer they sent their troops failed to endure the sea voyage all the way around the cape of Africa. Extreme temperatures and prolonged storage without the benefits of refrigeration were less than ideal conditions for transporting beer. As a result, it kept spoiling on the trip. The British had two tools to work with: alcohol and hops. Both of these work as preservatives. According to legend, it was George Hodgson of East London’s Bow Brewery who eventually created the first IPA. It was bitter and highly alcoholic, but it could make the long ocean trip.

I'm not a drinker but, thought the can may be worth the cost

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Images

I have to ask... what, other than the name connects this beer to the Appalachian Trail?

Is it a recipe popular with AT hikers (despite insistence otherwise, I would believe that to be Bud or Natty Light)?

Were the ingredients grown by farmers in the AT trail corridor?

Was the water used, taken directly from an AT spring?

What is it about the beer that should excite me more being called White Blaze, than if it were simply called Abingdon Honey Cream Ale?
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post
    Anyone ever seen this?
    My customers drink it much, they say its real good despite the cost........

Images

I didn't see the OP's "whiteblaze" beer, but I did enjoy a bottle of this "whiteblazed" beer at the NOC... (see pic)

Anyone who thinks domestic beer is all water hasn't partaken in our Colorado microbrews! Overpriced, perhaps, but damn well worth every penny...
    Attached Images Attached Images

To each his own. I can drink mass produced beers like Coors Lt, Mich Ultra, etc if I'm thirsty, but they seem bland.

Craft beer are like women to me - some are spicy and make my head swim, some are bitter and too much gives me a headache and some are full bodied, aromatic and tasty.... and make me feel all happy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Anyone who thinks domestic beer is all water hasn't partaken in our Colorado microbrews! Overpriced, perhaps, but damn well worth every penny...
    I assumed he was speaking of beer with "lite" in the name, or anything made by Budwiser, Coors or Miller, such as my favorite, "Milwaukee's Best Premium" at $14.99 a 30 pack
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFishNut View Post
    To each his own. I can drink mass produced beers like Coors Lt, Mich Ultra, etc if I'm thirsty, but they seem bland.

Craft beer are like women to me - some are spicy and make my head swim, some are bitter and too much gives me a headache and some are full bodied, aromatic and tasty.... and make me feel all happy inside.
    Agree, lite beers are great for thirst quenching. And excellent analogy (metaphor?)!

I didn't see the OP's "whiteblaze" beer, but I did enjoy a bottle of this "whiteblazed" beer at the NOC... (see pic)

Going to be in Denver for two days visiting family prior to my CT hike, hope to be able to sample some local brews!! Believe it or not, Des Moines has started to development a pretty good microbrew environment over the last few years.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Onda Road Again View Post
    Going to be in Denver for two days visiting family prior to my CT hike, hope to be able to sample some local brews!! Believe it or not, Des Moines has started to development a pretty good microbrew environment over the last few years.
    Cool. Yeah, the microbrew thing has really spread with the exception of the East coast seemingly, where there are some but not many that I found (a few in the NE). I guess Ashville NC has a few (including now a New Belgium brewery, a CO company). If you're staying in town, I suggest visiting the downtown REI with a stop at "My Brother's Bar" on 15th and Platt, right next door; they have fine sandwiches and a good selection of brews.

Love the beer threads... is noon too early to have a cold one???

Images

I forgot to mention, "My Brother's Bar" is the oldest bar in Denver.

Cool. Yeah, the microbrew thing has really spread with the exception of the East coast seemingly, where there are some but not many that I found (a few in the NE). I guess Ashville NC has a few (including now a New Belgium brewery, a CO company). If you're staying in town, I suggest visiting the downtown REI with a stop at "My Brother's Bar" on 15th and Platt, right next door; they have fine sandwiches and a good selection of brews.

Cannot speak for the rest of New England, but plenty of microbreweries here in CT anyway. Three alone in my local town of under 30,000 people.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe View Post
    I have to ask... what, other than the name connects this beer to the Appalachian Trail?
    Is it a recipe popular with AT hikers (despite insistence otherwise, I would believe that to be Bud or Natty Light)?
    Were the ingredients grown by farmers in the AT trail corridor?
    Was the water used, taken directly from an AT spring?
    What is it about the beer that should excite me more being called White Blaze, than if it were simply called Abingdon Honey Cream Ale?
    I would say the thing that connects it with the AT is marketing.

I would say that if it is worth every penny, then it is by definition not over priced.

Agree, lite beers are great for thirst quenching. And excellent analogy (metaphor?)!
    One of our local places has a huge bar full of craft beers, a few of its own (brew pub), most local (MI in general and GR in particular is one of the top beer destinations in the country), but they always have one tap for Budmilloorblueribbon Lite. You're not sure what you will get - it doesn't matter much. It's on the menu as "Lawn Mower Beer" as in, the beer you drink after mowing the lawn.

Cool. Yeah, the microbrew thing has really spread with the exception of the East coast seemingly...
    I don't think you've been out east recently. According to the Brewers Association, 3 of the top 10 states for craft breweries per capita are in the east (VT=1, ME=6, NH=10). The Mid-west does well too with WI=13, IA=15 and MI = 14th.

https://www.brewersassociation.org/statistics/by-state/

Not too early. Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore. But not too cold. Nothing worse than ruining a good ale by serving it ice cold (ugg).

Registered Offender

This has me wondering how many beers are named after trails or trail culture (ala 'Trail Magic'). Long Trail Ale, Whiteblaze...any others?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++