WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default End to End Hiking Companion ( June 2016 ).

Hey everyone! Anyone interested in walking 273 miles with a fantastic hiking partner?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any takers? Lol

Images

It's a little early. More folks will know their availability for next summer later in the year, possibly early next year. You also might get more of a response if you describe yourself and your hiking style. (I know, you are a fantastic hiking partner. ) But if you like hiking 30 miles a day, or 5 miles a day, that's good info for a potential partner.

My wife and I did an end to end last summer - it was interesting and on the whole an excellent experience that I would not trade for anything.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Agreed! Thank you for the advice.

Also, no one wants to hike Vermont in June. Unless of course, you really like rain, mud and black flies.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I see! I'd really like to hike the trail in August/September. However, my schedule will not allow for those months. I coach at our local middle school & August through October are off limits to me.. Lol. Hopefully someone likes black flies!?!?!

I started my thru-hike last year on June 14. I didn't really have much rain at all, the temperatures were fairly comfortable, and there were only a few places where black flies or mosquitoes were bothersom. Infact, the deer flies in the northern part of the trail were much more of an issue for me. Yes, there was significant mud in the southern portion of the trail, but that's just put there to torture the AT hikers

I admit, I got really lucky with the weather, but I'd hike in the second half of June again in a heartbeat.

Thank you for the advice! I'm planning on the 2nd week of June. May I ask? How long did it take you to complete your end -end hike? North Star..

I took 5 weeks, but I really dawdled for the last bit, because I had the time for it. If I only had 4 weeks, I'd do it in 4 weeks. If I had 6 weeks, I'd stretch it out to 6 and probably knock of some of the side to side as well. It's a beautiful trail, and the more time I spend on it, the happier I'd be.
    I met one guy who was starting a yoyo hike (both directions) who planned to take most of the summer for it. It's not like he wasn't capable of doing it faster (he'd thru-hiked the AT 2 years earlier), he just wanted to soak it in.

The other thing is, don't be afraid to hike this alone. I was hoping to find a partner last summer, but ultimately I think I had a better experience without one. If you are hiking nobo, then you will have company at every shelter until highway 4. After that you will have company at most of the other shelters too. I only had one night by myself during my entire hike, and by then I wasn't just ready for it, I enjoyed it.

You will also meet people on the trail, and get to know them as you meet each night at shelters. It's almost the same thing as a hiking partner.

Thank you so much for the detailed reply! I truly appreciate the time you've spent.. I guess I'll start preparing myself mentally for a solo hike!?!?!

Images

A solo hike isn't really solo. You'll start by yourself, but there will be other hikers at the shelters, campsites, and various spots along the way. After a couple of days you'll know everyone, and you may even find one or two folks who are hiking the same pace you are, and are pleasant company.

Don't expect to keep up with the AT northbounders, they have been on the trail for over 1500 miles and they are flying. But the other E2E'ers are in the same place you are starting out.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Thanks big cranky! I truly believe after I've settled in a couple of days, I'll be okay with the idea of stepping on trail without any familiar faces. This will be my first long distance hike & understanding what to expect can rattle the brain at times... But I'll push forward .. Thank you for replying.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jackiehale72 View Post
    Hey everyone! Anyone interested in walking 273 miles with a fantastic hiking partner?
    If you’re on Facebook, checkout Long Trail Hikers - Class of 2019. You just might find someone to hook up with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

New necro post record?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    New necro post record?
    i still vote for the 10 year old thread about the "alex kenney" shelter that was just resurrected.

this is a good one though. i always find this curious. what drives someone who has been a member of a site for near to 10 years but who isnt especially active posting to randomly log on one day and happen upon a 4 year old thread and respond to it with something mundane like "check out this facebook group"?

i always find it oddly fascinating.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    ...what drives someone who has been a member of a site for near to 10 years but who isnt especially active posting to randomly log on one day and happen upon a 4 year old thread and respond to it ...
    [red face] Er, failure to note the date? It somehow appeared as a new post in tapatalk ... I dunno ... (shrinks away)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

++ New Posts ++