Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default 100 Day PCT Thru

I hiked from Campo to Florence Lake this spring leaving the PCT at mile 857. My intention was to thru hike the entire trail. To make a long story short, I decided that my attention was needed elsewhere and that being on the trail for five months was just too long given my circumstances. My thinking at the time I stepped off the trail was that I'd chunk hike the middle portion of the PCT to Ashland next year and the rest in 2017. However, not completing the thru this year really bothers me. I'm thinking that if everything falls into place personally I could pull off being away for 100 days much easier than 5+ months. So I'm thinking about doing a fast thru in 2016. This would require rethinking some of my gear and probably spending some money to get down to the bare essentials (cutting down to ~10 base weight from ~15). I feel physically up to the challenge having done many low-mid 20s and a couple of 28-29 mile days in SoCal and sustaining 20+ miles in the section of the high sierra that I completed. I've done six marathons and my PR is just under 3:28. I feel like I'm in great shape for my age (41). With sustained training, I feel like I could sustain high 20s/low 30s next year in most places and I don't really need to take many zero days if I use mail drops and minimize off trail distractions.

My main question is whether I should look into a SOBO thru hike if I think that I can complete in 100 days or less. This has some attractions: First, it would feel like a different hike contrasting with my NOBO attempt this year. If I NOBO again, the first 857 miles will be repeated which isn't terrible since I liked almost all of it. But I feel like starting at the Canadian border vs. Mexican border may keep me more excited at the start. Second, I would avoid more of the crowds with a SOBO thru hike. Even though I didn't feel that the crowds were overwhelming, I suspect that it will only get more crowded next year. Since I'll be going fast, I'd probably start in mid-May if I start at the Mexican border. That would mean weeks and weeks of passing lots of hikers, not really getting to know very many people, and dealing with much hotter temps than I did this year with my April 12 start. Third, I wouldn't have to deal with early season conditions in the Sierra which could be really important if 2016 is a high snow year (I hope it is for the sake of CA). I was probably least comfortable on the high passes even though there was relatively little snow. By going SOBO, I would hit the Sierra in late season when snow is a non issue.

If I go with a SOBO attempt I'm thinking July 15 would be a reasonable start date avoiding too much snow in Washington state, getting to Oregon after the worst of the bug season, hitting Northern California after the peak of the heat, hiking the Sierra in what is usually great early fall conditions, and getting to Southern California after the worst of the heat but before snow is likely in the higher elevations.

Anyway I'm just thinking out loud at the moment but interested in any feedback on SOBO vs NOBO for a 100 day thru hike. In terms of physical preparation, I'm open to suggestions as well. I'd have over a year to prepare. More marathon training, or should I plan on some shorter ultras (50k, maybe a 50 miler?), or possibly just plan on some faster AT hikes locally with a lighter kit?
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

I can't really advise you on the timing, but if next year is anything like this you'd be hiking into damn hot weather, drought and forest fires going south. But then, it could be the same either way you go.

As for conditioning, just keep hiking as much as possible over the winter. With the amount of hiking it looks like you've done over the last few years, so long as you stay reasonably toned over the winter it won't take long to bounce back. Or just a couple of long weekend hikes in VA before you head out west should do it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Check out Malto's advice. He did a 100 day PCT hike: http://postholer.com/journal/viewJou...entry_id=27590

I did some very high mileage training hikes on the AT prior to my trip, one as long as a 57 mile day.

Quote Originally Posted by Colter View Post
    Check out Malto's advice. He did a 100 day PCT hike: http://postholer.com/journal/viewJou...entry_id=27590

I did some very high mileage training hikes on the AT prior to my trip, one as long as a 57 mile day.
    Thanks. I'm thinking that the 4 state challenge on the AT might be something I should plan on at some point this summer - a way to get in a high mileage day even though MD is pretty easy. I would be my first 40+ mile attempt.

Images

I like both the timing and the concept; at the least, you'll get the entire PCT done, meaning should be easy to get at least to mile 857 even if you don't get the full monty in 100 days. I don't see how he would be too hot though Slo... should be perfect weather up in WA and OR and starting to cool off in late August/September in CA, and nice and reasonable down in the desert in October. I guess on the 100 day schedule you'll hit the desert before that though, now I think I see your point...

And talk about the perfect place (the AT in VA) to do some high mileage training in the spring! This all works.

I guess the only thing is the lack of fellow hiker companionship and support going SOBO, though of course camping with NOBO's will at least get you trail beta.

Water in Southern California might also be a potential issue. I can only imagine how some of the sources that were already pretty marginal this spring would look after a long dry California summer. However somehow SOBOs seem to figure out ways to deal with it ...

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

The people who were complaining about water last year were the ones who struggled to make the miles to the next water source.

I don't remember ever going 30 miles without a water source so if you're doing 30's you'll find water.

Also, Oregon has some long, dry stretches.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Also - I hiked the PCT in 119 days with 13 zeros and at least as many days I was done hiking before noon. If I can do it I can't imagine you couldn't.

Somewhere in the low 100s is very doable..we did it in 108 days without even trying to do anything special or fast - we were just Hiking Our Own Hike, which for us means more hiking, less camping, less town time. (We are both age and height challenged - low 50s old and 5'3" - 5'8" short if that helps to give you more confidence.)

Like you, we repeated some of the miles (1758 miles to be exact) due to an earlier attempt at the trail. We may just go down in history as having the longest "Approach Trail" ever (ie 1758 miles). And actually we did not mind repeating that many miles as our memories had forgotten some things, some things we decided to do differently (hit different off-trail spots, etc) and some of the country is just so pretty that it leaves you wanting to see it again.

The key for us was hitting the trail ready for mid to upper 20s every day from day 1. We actually averaged 26mpg up to Kennedy Meadows, IIRC. Our physical prep for the hike can be found here: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=477104

We had 7-pound and 12-pound base weights (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=477140), but that increased by a couple pounds when we had to switch out our tent due to our cuben fiber tent failure.

I think NOBO vs SOBO may depend on snowfall and your window of opportunity. IIRC walking through the herd was not horrible, but we were glad to get through it and have our solitude again. I think the really busy days were only a handful.

Can't wait to hear what you decide. Have fun planning!

Default I'd shoot for week-long, 200+ mile training hikes on the AT

In threads like this there are is usually a strong survivorship bias. The fastest people are much more likely to respond.

In order to pull off a hike like that you'll not only have to be in the 40% or so of those who finish a PCT thru-hike, but be in the very top tier of that surviving group. You will have to finish fifty days faster than the average successful hiker. For most people that will be a very, very difficult task and I think it's extremely important to recognize that in your preparations.

Yes, it is "doable." But only if you work VERY hard in training. You'll have to start out fast right from the border, with no time to work your way into big miles.

Malto has done a 100 day hike and talks a lot of sense. I'd take his advice very seriously, and a big part of his advice is working very hard in preparation.

I definitely agree. Preparation is a key factor for sure.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Not having any experience in SOBO PCT hiking, I'll come up with some reasons a fast SOBO hike could backfire, or at least be more challenging than a NOBO:

- Shorter days ... I find night-hiking, especially alone, somewhat demoralizing. Maybe you don't but I would be avoiding it as much as possible. On a SOBO starting after the solstice the days only get shorter, and maybe you'd need to night-hike some to meet your mileage goals (or maybe not).
    - Meeting NOBO herds in Washington/Oregon has to slow down your rhythm somewhat.
    - The entire West Coast tends to be on fire by August these days. Sometimes Washington is spared, but Oregon and California don't stand a chance. Fire closures seem likely, but then again maybe it's not any different than being a NOBO.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Of those risks I think fire is the most likely to cause issues if the winter of 2015-16 is another dry one. But those issues would be there even for a fast NOBO hike starting in mid May I think ... even this year starting in mid April I felt like things could go up in smoke with a single spark.

Another important factor in pulling off a ~100 day hike is consistency. You need to try to hike the same amount of miles/energy/time each day. When we did our 108 day thru-hike, not once did we hike past sundown (IIRC). We started each morning early (perhaps 5 or 5:30am), managed our breaks and finished before sunset and many times several hours before sunset. If we had hiked another hour each day we would have been under 100 days, most likely.....but that was not a goal of ours.

You don't need to pull off 40+ mile days to make this happen. You do not even need to train 40 mile days.

You just have to manage the number of days < 25 miles. The breakdown for us was:

4 Days = 0 miles (two of these were for medical issues)

2 Days < 15 miles

7 Days > 15 miles and < 20 miles

30 Days > 20 miles and < 25 miles

47 Days > 25 miles and < 30 miles

18 Days > 30 miles

Longest Day: ~35 miles

Pick up Jardine's book if you haven't. Otherwise.

Malto, Malto, Malto

Images

Colter posted my "100 day hike" link. If I were doing it over I would go SoBo but I also know I could time my Sierra entry based on my experience last hike. I believe a SOBo is only a good idea for strong hikers doing a schedule similiar to what you are planning. take a look at one of the last posts for a full breakout of the mileage. I ended up doing more zeros than I would do again, basically 5 were taking time off with my wife in Tahoe.

I believe the key is making long days your new normal. In time you will veiw 30 as the breakpoint between a normal day and an easy day. the four state challenge is an alright "event", it is a rather easy section of trail. If you have time AND if you train for it consider doing a double bubble 4 state challenge, back to back over two days. That would be a great test to see where you stand. keep in mind that training is more mental training than physical.

Another hiker, Bobcat, also did a 98 day SoBo back in '13. he is super nice guy that I'm sure would give you some good perspective. he is currently hiking the TRT, Tahoe Yosemite Trail and SHR so he is out of pocket for a bit.

Malto and royalusa, thanks for your perspectives. I like the idea of a double 4 state challenge over two days and it would make logistics easier as well. From my section hike last year I know that it isn't difficult terrain but it would be a good test. I have some time to consider the options and assess my capabilities.

Images

Depending on when you do it, I might be up for a redo.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    The people who were complaining about water last year were the ones who struggled to make the miles to the next water source.

I don't remember ever going 30 miles without a water source so if you're doing 30's you'll find water.

Also, Oregon has some long, dry stretches.
    Yet, it seemed there was no shortage of skeeters.

Question for those who have typically covered 30+ miles per day on a sustained basis: How critical is a low pack weight to success? My assumption is that it is very important, but I'm not sure exactly what the break points. On my PCT attempt this year my base weight was a fairly reasonable 15 pounds and I didn't feel overburdened by total pack weight except for a few occasions where I had a combination of 5+ liters of water and 4+ days of food in my pack. This was quite rare. In general, my pack weight was a non-issue. By the time I arrived at KM, having dealt with all the water issues, even my canister with 8 days of food was not really an issue as I dropped down to 1L of water most of the time. I'm comfortable with my Circuit and how it carries.

As I look at my gear list, it appears that I could quite reasonably cut my base weight down to the 12 pound range. I could accomplish this by switching from the Circuit to an ArcBlast and from my Marmot Helium to a zPacks 10 or 20 degree back, plus I could go stoveless (something I'm considering anyway). Those three changes will drop close to 2 3/4 pounds of base weight plus the lack of a fuel canister will get me to about 3 pounds less in overall carried weight. It would cost me over $750 to make the change to the bag and pack. My current pack and bag have plenty of life left but I guess $750 isn't too much to lighten up a bit.

Beyond this, there are changes I could conceivably make to cut another pound or so and maybe get down to 11-11.5 base weight. Beyond that I probably would have to start making some harder choices.

I don't want to seek feedback on my entire gear list at this point but just more generally ask for input on how important it is to get really really light if my goal is a 100 day hike. Would 3 pounds less in average carried weight really improve my odds?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++