WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Back in the cuben world....

Well, for the past year since finishing the PCT I've been pretty much tarping exclusively. I did about a week with an MLD Duomid but other than that I've been learning to tarp with my Oware Catbird.

So........ after much back and forth, hemming and hawing, I ordered a cuben Hyperlite Mountain Gear Echo tarp for the CDT. I'm going to pair it with a MLD Superlight Bivy and that'll be my shelter system for this hike.

I never thought I'd prefer a tarp to a tent but after the learning curve I think I'm a convert for all but dead-of-winter hiking.

But... I swore I'd never buy another cuben pack or shelter so who knows....

What was it about cuben pack/shelter that turned you off to it?

Hope you got the current discount:

• Summer is here and it's time to get outside. Let us help you upgrade your kit with a 10% off coupon. Simply sign up for our e-newsletter below. (Offer valid through 6/30/15)

Beak or no beak? No doubt you will keep us updated on the performance of this wonder of lightness.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Do you pack bug netting then, and if so, did you purchase something or make something yourself? I'm relatively new to tarping and trying to decide what kind of netting would be best for the PCT. Thanks!

Ok so here's the deal... I recently sold a 3 letter domain name for a fairly large 5 figure sum and it just so happens I'm preparing to hike the CDT.

I was fully prepared to use gear I already have but with this unexpected windfall I've sort of lost my mind. The reason I went on a cuben strike is because it's just so expensive and it has a relatively short lifespan contrasted with the cost. But... since I have some play money and am preparing for a long hike - why not splurge.

No bug netting - I'll be using a bivy. There were places on the PCT where the mosquitoes were so bad it was incredible. I'm not sure I'll encounter that on the CDT - hopefully not - but if so I'll zip the hood of the bivy.

Wayne: I subscribed to the newsletter but I didn't get the 10% off as promised - thank you for reminding me!

You're welcome. Enjoy.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

I was fully prepared to use gear I already have but with this unexpected windfall I've sort of lost my mind.

It's called Cuben Fiber Uber Light Dislocation From Reality Syndrome a psychological disorder that sometimes occurs when hikers spend exorbitant sums of money on outdoor CF gear.

From one syndromee to another I like your CF shelter choices.

The MLD Duo Mid is shweet in snowfall and variable winds for two or a palace for one.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    The MLD Duo Mid is shweet in snowfall and variable winds for two or a palace for one.
    I have a MYOG modified Solomid and would agree completely. I became a huge fan of mids.

See you are in ATL, my old stomping ground. You get around.

Images

Yes, do prepare for mosquitoes. A lot of the time they're no problem at all. But when they're bad, they're really, really bad. July is usually the peak of mosquito season in GNP, but this is a weird weather year, so who knows.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Ok so here's the deal... I recently sold a 3 letter domain name for a fairly large 5 figure sum and it just so happens I'm preparing to hike the CDT.

I was fully prepared to use gear I already have but with this unexpected windfall I've sort of lost my mind. ... since I have some play money and am preparing for a long hike - why not splurge...
    I know someone who offers hiking guide services at a reduced rate for those he knows.
    Porter anyone. Now, that would be CDT styling - hiking with your own porter.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Well, for the past year since finishing the PCT I've been pretty much tarping exclusively. I did about a week with an MLD Duomid but other than that I've been learning to tarp with my Oware Catbird.

So........ after much back and forth, hemming and hawing, I ordered a cuben Hyperlite Mountain Gear Echo tarp for the CDT. I'm going to pair it with a MLD Superlight Bivy and that'll be my shelter system for this hike.

I never thought I'd prefer a tarp to a tent but after the learning curve I think I'm a convert for all but dead-of-winter hiking.

But... I swore I'd never buy another cuben pack or shelter so who knows....
    ...buy a cuben fiber map case ya cheap bastard. ...your welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    ...buy a cuben fiber map case ya cheap bastard. ...your welcome.
    Big Problem. You can't read a map through cuben.
    Big Problem #2. According to 10-K, cuben develops leaks.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

My HMG cuben tarp and MLD bivy came today. All I can say is "wow".

A very, very nice shelter system.

Tarp: Beak? No Beak?
    Enjoy. Pictures!

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Tarp: Beak? No Beak?
    Enjoy. Pictures!

Wayne
    No beak, just a catenary cut. It's sweet. I'm going to take it on a hike this weekend and will post photos.

But... if I had not come into some play money I would have stuck with my silnylon Catbird tarp. I still think the cuben price/durability ratio is a bit out of line. However, if money is no object then by all means.

cat 1 or cat 1.5? how tall r u? The fairness of the PCT weather can create a false sense of always requiring less A frame tarp set up shelter coverage. Personally, as a tall guy at 6'4" even knowing how to properly site and guy out my tarps having even an UL load(plays into under tarp storage) AND pairing with a MLD Superlite bivy I'd still want the optional beaks, which are removable, on various CDT segments. They are only 4 oz and can be mailed ahead where thought needed in an envelope. The CDT weather is not exactly the same as the PCT. You have greater exposure at a higher overall avg elev. and greater percipitation. Wind driven spray coming in through the MLD Superlight bivy hood mesh window wakes me right up. I'll opt for slightly longer tarp based on my ht or as I did throw in the beaks when thought needed with the Echo 1. Shorter guy under 6 ft with that set up shouldn't be a major issue if one has gained enough foul weather tarp nights.

Dogwood, I have the Catbird 1.5 but I bought the Echo II tarp - the 2 person version. It's has a bit more coverage than the Catbird. Like tents, 1.5 and 2 person tarps tend seem to be just right for 1 tall person like me and you with room for gear.

I also ordered a (4 oz) zpacks solo-plus bathtub groundsheet to pair with it. Weighs a bit less than the tyvek I was planning to carry. It'll fit nicely under the tarp and the tarp will have enough overhang that I can pitch it low around the groundsheet.

Can't tell you anything. Cause you already thought of it. Nevermind. Here I was hoping that you'd get me into a conversation to avoid having to mow the lawn and weed the garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Can't tell you anything. Cause you already thought of it. Nevermind. Here I was hoping that you'd get me into a conversation to avoid having to mow the lawn and weed the garden.
    Actually, I just ordered a beak so I'm going to file you and Wayne under "Bad influence"....

The other good thing about all this cuben stuff is you can sell it pretty quick as long as it's in good condition.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++