WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Black Diamond Ultra Distance Z Poles

I just wrote a blog reviewing these poles. Somebody mentioned that their one pole is very difficult to latch despite cleaning it. Any suggestions on a fix?

http://www.backpackingengineer.com/g...amond-z-poles/

Hope your an uber lite hiker....I had a pair....snapped on second hike...BD customer support was awesome...actually sent me 2 pair made more for backpacking not trail running. Alpine carbon cork reg be carbon cork....great service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular handle and ergonomic version......I prefer reg handle.

I don't want your thread being hijacked with all the pros cons of trekking pole use but I will say I've never taken a for or against them stand. I only employ them MAYBE on 15-20% of my hikes and even then usually not in an all day fashion. This I know: I don't have an absolute NEED for them. I'm also a ULer often(sometimes?) on the margin of a SUL kit having the opinion that UL shelter(tarp, etc) poles always significantly weigh lighter than any decent somewhat durable trekking poles. In short I see pros and cons for them FOR ME in my hiking world.

The only two trekking poles I've used are a set of Lekis and the Black Diamond Ultra Distance Z Poles. I've had two sets of the BD UD Z Poles. One set I bought and one set was a gift. I never used one set. Never had to. The set I used are a bit scratched up but other than that I've had no problems when using these poles when I do use poles which is usually on desert hikes or on maintained somewhat wider trails when I want to really crank up my daily mileage hauling very light wt loads and taking a turn my mind off type hiking approach. I recently sold it about 8 months ago here on WB.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I don't want your thread being hijacked with all the pros cons of trekking pole use but I will say I've never taken a for or against them stand. I only employ them MAYBE on 15-20% of my hikes and even then usually not in an all day fashion. This I know: I don't have an absolute NEED for them. I'm also a ULer often(sometimes?) on the margin of a SUL kit having the opinion that UL shelter(tarp, etc) poles always significantly weigh lighter than any decent somewhat durable trekking poles. In short I see pros and cons for them FOR ME in my hiking world.

The only two trekking poles I've used are a set of Lekis and the Black Diamond Ultra Distance Z Poles. I've had two sets of the BD UD Z Poles. One set I bought and one set was a gift. I never used one set. Never had to. The set I used are a bit scratched up but other than that I've had no problems when using these poles when I do use poles which is usually on desert hikes or on maintained somewhat wider trails when I want to really crank up my daily mileage hauling very light wt loads and taking a turn my mind off type hiking approach. I recently sold it about 8 months ago here on WB.
    U didn't buy them off eBay a few years back...I sold a shorter pair and shipped to hi

No got an outrageous deal at an REI.

If I ever have a medical condition that necessitates trekking poles I'd be looking at adjustable length Uber light foldable trekking pole set like the Leki Micro Vario Carbon but something that can adjust upto 140 cm. Anyone know of such? UBER light remind you. I alos like the Black Diamond Distance Carbon FLZ Trekking pole set up which DO come in a unto 140 cm version at .8 lb. I don't research trekking poles that much.

Before I buy these though I'll have to wait until my domain name sells.

No suggestions as to the fix?

No suggestions on your fix, but I declined to buy a pair of these recently since they seemed so flimsy. I was seduced by their weight and great swing, but foresaw bends and snaps when the pole is caught between a rock and my 220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wülfgang View Post
    No suggestions on your fix, but I declined to buy a pair of these recently since they seemed so flimsy. I was seduced by their weight and great swing, but foresaw bends and snaps when the pole is caught between a rock and my 220 lbs.
    Exactly what happened to me 215lbs plus 25lb pack....first slip...snap

FWIW...I have well over 500 miles on my pair including lots in the New England rocks. Like others have said, these are a better pole for lightweight travel.

Quote Originally Posted by redseal View Post
    I just wrote a blog reviewing these poles. Somebody mentioned that their one pole is very difficult to latch despite cleaning it. Any suggestions on a fix?

http://www.backpackingengineer.com/g...amond-z-poles/

I have the Z-Poles. More than once they got a bit cranky at the slip joints.. a bit hard to connect and disconnect. I gave them a thorough cleaning with a soft rag that had some WD-40 sprayed on it.. remedied the problem. One had a release button that is harder to press than the other. My assumption is that the upper handle section puts the squeeze on the release button after leaning on the pole for a bit. I have made it a habit to give both poles a gentle tug before pressing the release button (As though I am pulling them apart to dismantle them) and the button is far easier to press. I guess I am just releasing some of the compression pressure...

I realize now that you said the reader was having trouble latching it. For that, I have nothing for you. That same tug I apply before breaking them down is what I use to latch them.. never a problem. As I think about it though, it's important that one has a firm grip on the handle AND the upper third of the shaft. I've seen folks assemble the three sections and then hold the pole at the middle section when latching them.. they just fold up if you do that..

++ New Posts ++