WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Anti-shock poles for setting up tarp shelters?

I have the poles I want in mind, but I don't have any experience hiking with them. I am currently in the process of making my tarp shelter for the PCT which I will need poles for, but I have concerns: Will every-night use of anti-shock poles to set up a tarp wear out the shocks (I do understand I won't be using them every single night due to cowboy camping)? My instinct is to just go without shocks, but I don't want to not have them and then wish I had them on the PCT. Any suggestions or experiences?

Images

I use anti-shock poles from Mountain Smith. I've used them with a Lightheart Solo, and now currently use them to prop up one side of the tarp over my hammock. I have never had an issue with the poles wearing out from such use. I do not think there has been any sort of real compression in their use as tent/tarp poles that would come close to wearing out the anti-shock poles.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

"Anti-shock" just mean they have a little bit of "give" in them. My Leki's compress about 1/4" when pushed on real hard. This is not a factor at all when used as tent supports.

I do have to take my poles apart periodically to fix the anti-shock part due to normal trail use.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I'd have no expectation that using an anti shock pole for tent setup would place nearly the stress on the pole that regular usage does so I would expect you to be good.

++ New Posts ++