WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default NOBO in VA from Old Orchard Shltr/VA 602 to Partnership

I'm backl. Starting in late July with a section walk from VA 603 just down from Old Orchard Shelter, 3-4 days to Partnership Shelter. Does anyone have any idea of what water sources will be like? It also looks like a bit of an uphill the first few miles to the top of Hurricane Mountain. Comments?

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

that's just 23 miles. been lots of thunderstorms lately. water sources should be OK

Gorgeous section! We travelled it in July several times and had no probs finding water. We carried 3L/day to be safe and didn't have any issues.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    that's just 23 miles. been lots of thunderstorms lately. water sources should be OK
    Nice to see you're still doing well.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Any comments on the uphill that starts just north of VA 603?

TW

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Any comments on the uphill that starts just north of VA 603?

TW
    it's gradual and switchbacked. and yes i'm doing well. and you?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    it's gradual and switchbacked. and yes i'm doing well. and you?
    Well, I move kind of gradually, and I'm a bit switchbacked. So thanks for that description of the trail there. I'm in NC now, down on the coast, so I hope to be able to get a lot more of the Trail done now.

TW

Images

Just got back from there yesterday, going sobo. The climb up Iron Mountain is long but well graded. There is a shelter just past the summit, maybe a mile or so and only a couple hundred feet down, with great water. Then it's a steep descent down to the creek bottom near Hurricane Campground, and a long but okay climb to Dickey Gap. Then keep climbing to High Point, long descent to Trimpi Shelter, then a 10 mile ridgeline walk to Partnership.

If it were me I would plan to stay at Hurricane Campground the first night ($16 fee but a very pleasant spot on a weekday. Might be crowded on weekends.) Then stay at Trimpi the next night. I think that's a reasonable pace. You could stay at Hurricane Mountain Shelter on the first night depending on when you get started, it is a longish climb and the shelter is nice, with good tentsites nearby.

There was good water at all the shelters and in plenty of places in between, though that can change in a month. Have a great hike!
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Just got back from there yesterday, going sobo. The climb up Iron Mountain is long but well graded. There is a shelter just past the summit, maybe a mile or so and only a couple hundred feet down, with great water. Then it's a steep descent down to the creek bottom near Hurricane Campground, and a long but okay climb to Dickey Gap. Then keep climbing to High Point, long descent to Trimpi Shelter, then a 10 mile ridgeline walk to Partnership.

If it were me I would plan to stay at Hurricane Campground the first night ($16 fee but a very pleasant spot on a weekday. Might be crowded on weekends.) Then stay at Trimpi the next night. I think that's a reasonable pace. You could stay at Hurricane Mountain Shelter on the first night depending on when you get started, it is a longish climb and the shelter is nice, with good tentsites nearby.

There was good water at all the shelters and in plenty of places in between, though that can change in a month. Have a great hike!
    I'm thinking of staying at the Hurricane Campground, but also wondering if off-trail tenting (I hate the term "stealth tenting") will be a problem in that general area, out of sight of the path.

TW

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

I am hosting the Hostel in Troutdale 2.6 miles from Dicky Gap. Text me 276-781-6994 from Hurricane for a shuttle. Full supply is available at the hostel or online. www.SonDriven.com.
    03/07/13 - 10/07/13 Flip flop AT thru hike "It is well with my soul"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    I'm thinking of staying at the Hurricane Campground, but also wondering if off-trail tenting (I hate the term "stealth tenting") will be a problem in that general area, out of sight of the path.

TW
    There are long stretches where it's steep enough to prevent off-trail camping, but also plenty of places with fairly obvious tent sites.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Hey Weasel. You probably already know this...Over 62. Get your Senior Pass for $ 10.00 (lifetime) and pay 1/2 fees at US Forest Service & National Park Service...

America the Beautiful (U.S. National Park...

www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm

Senior Pass. $10 Lifetime pass; For U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over. May be obtained in person at a federal recreation site or through ...

Last edited by brotheral; 07-07-2015 at 16:57.
    He leads me beside still waters !!
    Happy Trails..... BrotherAL

++ New Posts ++