WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I carry it, have never used it, but I don't want to be the one guy who perhaps needed it just one time. I hike alone and it does give me a bit of "comfort."

I used to live in Maine and have seen many bear while out on a trail or just walking along a dirt road, but since moving to Washington State I've had more "problems" with the dam mountain goats in the Olympics. Not serious trouble, but they are ornery and have a bit of history.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    Unless you encounter a female with cub there shouldn't be a problem. Only close up and personal with a bear I've _ever_ seen was in the Smokeys and I'd be willing to bet that was because folks were feeding it there.
    The other 3-4 times all I've noted is the racket or maybe the tail of one going away.
    A little common sense - don't mess with critters, goes a long way.

it is so hard to end a baseless urban myth, but i try anyway. in other news, the sun does not move around the earth and the world is not flat-

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/11/sc...ears.html?_r=0

Images

Only one time have I ever felt truly threatened and that was at campsite 88 by a young adult bear I think was a male. I did as that article stated and started yelling and waving my arms around when it got within 15'. I don't plan to get bear spray.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    it is so hard to end a baseless urban myth, but i try anyway. in other news, the sun does not move around the earth and the world is not flat-

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/11/sc...ears.html?_r=0
    Sorry, but I don't get your point. You won't offend me if you're suggesting I'm full of it, heard that before (!).

If you're saying Colbert is full of it I have to say that _was_ obvious.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    Sorry, but I don't get your point. You won't offend me if you're suggesting I'm full of it, heard that before (!).

If you're saying Colbert is full of it I have to say that _was_ obvious.
    you said that unless you encounter a mama bear with her cub there shouldnt be a problem. the link i posted was to a scientific article, one of many i have read, dispelling that notion,. at least as far as black bears are concerned. attacks by mother black bears protecting cubs are almost non existent. on the VERY off chance you were to be harmed by a black bear the overwhelming odds would be that it was a male bear who saw you as prey. did you read the article past the colbert reference?

No you're right I did not read past the Colbert reference.

Going further back in the 60s and 70s, when I started serious hiking. I read everything I could about bears and bear enounters. The more I read the woolier they read. Based on that and everything I've seen since I remain convinced that aside from the occasional desensitized individuals, and lately they have been making news here in Florida (again cause silly peeps term them "cute" and feed them&#128544 the peril from most black bears is over blown.
    Should I encounter a bear in the woods I intend to remain calm and retreat while it deals with wading to get to me!
    Lastly I did care "mace" spray once upon a time, largely for 2-legged encounters, and gave that up when it was past it's shelf life.

Images

I agree. Bear danger is overblown.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

just because a hiker carrys bear spray does not mean they are irrational thats a poor choice of words.some people carry it simply for peace of mind -nothing wrong with that just a personal choice

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WILLIAM HAYES View Post
    just because a hiker carrys bear spray does not mean they are irrational thats a poor choice of words.some people carry it simply for peace of mind -nothing wrong with that just a personal choice
    I think your problem is that you mistakenly believe that there is anything wrong with being irrational.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go buy a powerball ticket.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

double post...
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 07-15-2015 at 21:20.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WILLIAM HAYES View Post
    would you say the same about someone who carried a firearm to protect themselves from crazy people they might meet in the woods. i mean if it makes them feel comfortable, whats the harm, right?

Journal Entries
    Images

would you say the same about someone who carried a firearm to protect themselves from crazy people they might meet in the woods. i mean if it makes them feel comfortable, whats the harm, right?

Carrying a firearm to protect oneself against evil people is a far more rational act than carrying bear spay to protect yourself against a black bear in the east.

The odds of getting hurt by a black bear in the east are so small as to be non-existent.

Either way no worries, except like you look like a weenie with the bear spray. On a related note , this weekend I found the Cutter snakebite kit I carried for 2000 miles. Thankfully no one has the paranoia that sold thousand of those anymore.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Are you trying to start a gun debate?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post

On a related note , this weekend I found the Cutter snakebite kit I carried for 2000 miles. Thankfully no one has the paranoia that sold thousand of those anymore.
    Rick, if you want to see irrational, read some of the snake threads on the "Appalachian Trail Section Hikers" group on Facebook. A vocal minority of people on there still preach the importance of carrying a snakebite kit and no amount of published research showing that snakebite kits are junk science and only cause harm has managed to convince them otherwise.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Are you trying to start a gun debate?
    no, i just enjoy double standards. or in this case, the "my irrational act is ok, its yours thats crazy" angle.

Images

Carrying a firearm to protect oneself against evil people is a far more rational act than carrying bear spay to protect yourself against a black bear in the east.

The odds of getting hurt by a black bear in the east are so small as to be non-existent.

Either way no worries, except like you look like a weenie with the bear spray. On a related note , this weekend I found the Cutter snakebite kit I carried for 2000 miles. Thankfully no one has the paranoia that sold thousand of those anymore.
    i think my point is most of the weenies carrying bear spray would flip if they saw a guy at a shelter with a gun.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

no, i just enjoy double standards. or in this case, the "my irrational act is ok, its yours thats crazy" angle.
    Fair point.

Journal Entries
    Images

i think my point is most of the weenies carrying bear spray would flip if they saw a guy at a shelter with a gun.
    Agreed, Good point.

Sort of regretting I used the term weenie, though. I actually think those who do things in spite of their feers/concerns are anything but.

Images

Agreed, Good point.

Sort of regretting I used the term weenie, though. I actually think those who do things in spite of their feers/concerns are anything but.
    i guess. to me, i picture someone hiking in long sleeves and pants in lets say NY or NJ in august, carrying bear spray and a bell visibly on their person and holding a bottle doxycyclon somewhere in their pack, and maybe one of those snakebite kits, and i think "dude, if youre that worried just stay home"

the only positive spin is that maybe theyre new and hopefully theyll get over it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++