WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Underarmour Cold Gear

Underarmour Cold Gear seems like it would make a lot of sense on the trail (lightweight, warm, easy to put another layer on top of), but I've not seen much mention of it. Does anyone have any experience with it on the trail?

I haven't used the cold gear on the trail, but I do ride my bike with it and I think it is excellent. I used loose gear while hiking and also was super pleased with it.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Two concerns: They're relatively heavy and the version I used (circa 2001) did not dry out very quickly.

For my spring/fall hikes I now rely on a silkweight CoolMax Alta long-sleeve shirt.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene
    Two concerns: They're relatively heavy and the version I used (circa 2001) did not dry out very quickly.

For my spring/fall hikes I now rely on a silkweight CoolMax Alta long-sleeve shirt.
    Things change, though our definitions may differ. Top and bottom together now weigh 8 ounces. That's a good bit less than my polypro long-johns, though I don't know if they'll be as warm.
    Just hike.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Yes, my Underarmour Snow Shirt alone weighed 10.5 ounces, so maybe it's time to try them again.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I run in fall/winter using a pair of Cold Gear tights and they work very well for that application. While it does seem like the Cold Gear line would make a great base layer because of its conforming fit and the ease at which other layers could be added to the top of it, I still question where it rates as a wicker and quick dryer compared to the clothing produced by the outdoor industry. It is certainly worth investigating.

Yeah, i run in them, but they are heavy. I'll use my lighter weight choices on the trail. See my other post on the underwear subject just above.

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default works in crew

oldest daughter and some teams members wear underarmour during crew heats
    Start out slow, then slow down.

I had both the coldgear top and bottom. I'm quite happy with the cold gear bottoms as they weight 7.2 ounces (lg) and keep me warm. Great to add as a layer in the sleeping bag too! The top (8ish ounces) I returned because it seemed tight in my armpits and seemed like it would chafe. They are definitely light for the warmth...but not 8 ounces together, least not for coldgear.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by phatfish
    I had both the coldgear top and bottom. I'm quite happy with the cold gear bottoms as they weight 7.2 ounces (lg) and keep me warm. Great to add as a layer in the sleeping bag too! The top (8ish ounces) I returned because it seemed tight in my armpits and seemed like it would chafe. They are definitely light for the warmth...but not 8 ounces together, least not for coldgear.
    Probably just a dumb weight on the website that I've been drooling over. The Leggings and Mock Turtleneck are both listed at .25 pounds. The Quarter Zip Shirt is listed at 1 pound. Neither of the 3 are probably truly correct.

I guess that I should be happy with my good old grey polupros.

Just hike.

Images

My boyfriend turned me on to underarmor (no pun intended)
    We both use the brand on our winter hikes and have had no complaints at all. As a matter of fact, he just bought the Walmart version of the underarmor and it seems to be just as good so far.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker

I guess that I should be happy with my good old grey polupros.

FWIW, been using the generic blue polys for years now. The top and bottoms weigh in at 9.5 oz total for men's large. Probably could go lighter..but I am too lazy and cheap.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags
    FWIW, been using the generic blue polys for years now. The top and bottoms weigh in at 9.5 oz total for men's large. Probably could go lighter..but I am too lazy and cheap.
    Where ya get those? That's pretty light!
    Just hike.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker
    Where ya get those? That's pretty light!
    Boulder Army Store Boulder CO (303) 442-7616

They are just generic polypue..don't even know the manufacturer at this point as I took off the labels. They may or may not sell the same brand as I bought them ~2yrs ago.

The ones Footslogger bought at Sam's club sound very similar.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags
    The ones Footslogger bought at Sam's club sound very similar.
    Different thread?
    Just hike.

Images

Yep, Different Thread

Before you go off and spend your hard earned money on UA gear, run by target (see my comments in the other thread), and / or walmart (walmart carries a similar brand to C9 under the name 'sport gear' I think)

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lanthar Mandragoran
    Yep, Different Thread

Before you go off and spend your hard earned money on UA gear, run by target (see my comments in the other thread), and / or walmart (walmart carries a similar brand to C9 under the name 'sport gear' I think)
    ==============================
    I second that ...many of the discount houses sell an off-market brand of synthetic long johns. Read the labels. If it says 100% poplypropolene you're getting what you need. Not saying that there isn't a difference between that and the name brand but what you'll be getting (with UA or Pataguchi) is mostly in the finishing of the garment and not the base fabric itself. And, after all ...you are wearing this stuff UNDERNEATH your other clothing so some/most of those finishing details are of questionable value.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger
    ==============================
    I second that ...many of the discount houses sell an off-market brand of synthetic long johns. Read the labels. If it says 100% poplypropolene you're getting what you need. Not saying that there isn't a difference between that and the name brand but what you'll be getting (with UA or Pataguchi) is mostly in the finishing of the garment and not the base fabric itself. And, after all ...you are wearing this stuff UNDERNEATH your other clothing so some/most of those finishing details are of questionable value.

'Slogger
    The biggest / most important finishing detail (IMO) are the seams... how bulky are they? are they flat? are they soft? are they few and far between (raglan? sleeves)?... etc... the few UA shirts I've looked at don't have good seams (IMO), can't attest to patagonia though...

my two favorite shirts? Duofold, and C9/Dry... I think the Doufold has flat shoulder seams, the C9/Dry has small, soft, not flat seams (I think, I'm not at home so can't swear by it, but the point is they both have very comfortable seams)

btw - a lot of manufactures claim to use 'seameless' tech in their shirts, from what I've seen this means any round tubular part (individal sleeves, collar, body) doesn't have seams but there are still seams where two tubes join.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

[quote=Lanthar Mandragoran]The biggest / most important finishing detail (IMO) are the seams... how bulky are they? are they flat? are they soft? are they few and far between (raglan? sleeves)?... etc
    =======================================
    I agree and one way around the seam comfort issue is to wear the garment inside-out. That even goes for some socks. I wear a coolmax liner made by Wigwam. Love the liner but have to turn it inside-out to avoid the seams rubbing against the tops of my toes.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger
    I agree and one way around the seam comfort issue is to wear the garment inside-out. That even goes for some socks. I wear a coolmax liner made by Wigwam. Love the liner but have to turn it inside-out to avoid the seams rubbing against the tops of my toes.

'Slogger
    Unless I make the commitment to ONLY wear an item when hiking / camping, I find this doesn't work as well for me. Invariably, I tend to get burrs (thread pulls, whatever) or something on the outside of my garment when I wear them. Then when I turn them right side out it drives me nuts... (I also, religiously, cut all tags off of my clothes as soon as I get them, tags irritate my skin... I used to have a joke with people, if I got a shirt that I liked as a present, I'd tell them I'd "cut the tags off that night" aka "It's a keeper")

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++