WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

When I went low-carb, I was shocked at the amount of sugar in your average store-bought jerky. They should call it meat candy.

That said, some of the meat stick options on Amazon are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    When I went low-carb, I was shocked at the amount of sugar in your average store-bought jerky. They should call it meat candy.

That said, some of the meat stick options on Amazon are very good.
    The meat sticks from US Wellness have less sugar than most on the market.

https://grasslandbeef.com/jerky-snac...er=2&orderby=5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My wife and I have been on a low carb/ketogenic diet for about a year now with good results. We have been trying to adapt our trail food as well, which present challenges.

I'm pretty much always hungry, so my diet really doesn't make much difference in that regard. I do find that when I'm eating a low carb, medium fat and higher protein diet that I have more consistent energy levels throughout the day.

Breakfast: best thing I've found so far is the Mountain House Scrambled eggs with bacon or ham and peppers added. We also add some bacon bits made from real bacon. Around 6-8 carbs a serving IIRC.

Lunch: chicken/tuna in a pouch with mayo condiment packs, on a low carb tortilla.

Dinner: We make and dehydrate our own stuff, like spaghetti meat sauce with spaghetti squash to replace the noodles, or taco meat on a low carb tortilla, etc. We incorporate things like spinach and ground flax seed into our recipes for fiber and nutrients.

Snacks/sides: single-serving cheese snacks, hone-made jerky made from ground beef, summer sausage, almonds

Protein bars: We've found some of the Quest or thinkThin protein bars to be a pretty good low carb option, and serve well as snacks or a dessert after a meal

It's a limited option hiking meal plan but has done well for us so far on short one-two day trips. Longer trips would probably require more planning.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++