WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Buying a tent

Tarp and tent is overkill. Trekking poles useless as multi use item on Llbean fs tents. Pad for sleeping bag only pad needed. I have the fs1... mainly because I live in Maine. I am happy with it. I think I could have done better. It was a quick purchase on my part made out of necessity.

The good thing about a true free standing tent is that it can be fully assembled in a shelter and then drifted to a spot away from the shelter. I have done this in the rain. It makes setup nice in the rain. The bad about setting a fs tent up in the rain is that you cannot set up the fly and then assemble the tent under the fly like with some other tents.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 07-01-2015 at 18:49.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Mikenet7482 View Post
    Thanks for the responses everyone, I made a purchase. I went with the LL Bean Microlight FS 2-Person Tent, I just made my purchase. It should be here Tuesday It was clse to my price range and the LL Bean return policy is something I really needed. I'll be practicing with the tent occasionally between now and next year so if something happens with it I don't have to be worried with being stuck with something I cant use. This tent is a little heavier but overall pretty light, it seems equipment has come down in weight over the years, this one has an alluminu frame which will help with weight. Initially I was thinking a Tarp-Tent, they're so light and adjustable in height, the price range was a little out of my budget for two person tents though, and the return policy wasn't as good.

I feel happy about this tent, I'll update everyone when I get it. I have a few other questions, will trekking poles serve me any purpose with this tent? Can it be used for a tent like this if one of the support beams fail? I liked the idea that a trekking pole could be used as a multipurpose item, like to walk with, or to fend off something like a bear. (I doubt I'll have a problem with a bear) but it's still a nice idea. Also, what might be good to go with my tent, other than a pad on the bottom to insulate me? Would it be smart to get something extra to secure it, and would it be a good idea to get a tarp in case it starts leaking or tears in the middle of my trip?
    You're welcome. Bean is having a 4th of July sale. Did you get the sale price? 10% off as I remmebr from the email I got in the last day or 2.
    The should come with everything you need to set it up. One addition you may or may not need is an ultralight sheet of plastic to place between the ground and the tent floor. Polycryo window tint film or 2 mil painter's drop cloth or Tyvek are products most folks use. You may also need to seal the tent fly and floor seams. There are products on the market to do this depending on the coating on the fly.
    Have fun!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Actually I have the FS1 and if you have the footprint you can pitch it fly only and then assemble the body under cover. Well, the body will be under cover anyway.

Also, I don't recall the FS1 needing seam sealing.

I did say, "may need to seal the seams. " I don't know that tent.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    You're welcome. Bean is having a 4th of July sale. Did you get the sale price? 10% off as I remmebr from the email I got in the last day or 2.
    The should come with everything you need to set it up. One addition you may or may not need is an ultralight sheet of plastic to place between the ground and the tent floor. Polycryo window tint film or 2 mil painter's drop cloth or Tyvek are products most folks use. You may also need to seal the tent fly and floor seams. There are products on the market to do this depending on the coating on the fly.
    Have fun!

Wayne
    I tried to take advantage of the sale, the code I used said the sale was applied to the purchace but the price of it didn't go down. Not sure why but it's okay, I came into some extra money this month and still have some left to get a couple other things.

I flip back and forth between a 1 or 2 person tent. What were your reasons for buying the 2 person tent?
    Today I'm thinking 1 person. Tomorrow might be different.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

For what it's worth, Sierra Trading Post has a 40% coupon right now. Sfb7117, good tool midnight mdt. Free shipping over $150 from the iPhone or Android apps. Not sure what tents they have right now but worth a look.

Theres nothing quite like the feeling of making a decision of this type and the anticipation of getting the goods to play with and start your process of learning how it works and applying your own modifications.

Good luck and have fun!

Images

I'm a freestanding guy, I use a Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 2 its plenty large enough for 1 could sleep 2 (This would cut down on the weight, I always share so we split the weight) ALPS claims its under 5 lbs, but with the footprint its right at 5 lbs. Its heavy I know but its really a solid tent, keeps the weather and bugs out and is super ez to set up, plus very affordable. Under $200.00

I've got a Zephyr 3 for camping with my wife. It's well built and incredibly affordable. IIRC, I paid less than $100 with a coupon. When I'm by myself I'll go ultralight, but the mileage changes dramatically with a group and I care a lot less about a few extra pounds.

Venchka I think I went with the 2 person tent because I saw the 1 and 2 person tents didn't have a huge difference in weight. The main reason is that I want room for my Backpack (which will be large) and not feel closed in with it in the tent. There's also a possibility someone might be in the tent with me, I doubt it though. I'll encouradge someone who goes with me to have a tent of their own. Mostly I made the decision because I want the extra room. Not sure if it's recomended to eat anything in the tent, but I don't see why not. Although most of what I do will be outside the tent, Id like a nice little spread out area for activities such as that, especially if it's raining. The one person tent might have been sufficiant for that kind of space, it just looked a little small to me.

Cant wait to get this tent, there seems to be a delay now in the processing though, LL Bean hasn't charged my account yet. As soon as I get it I'm going to pitch it, and maybe spend a night in it in my yard just to get a feel for it.

Hope it works out for you. Only thing I would add to this is, practice putting it up with the rain fly first so you can do it in the rain without soaking everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake2c View Post
    Hope it works out for you. Only thing I would add to this is, practice putting it up with the rain fly first so you can do it in the rain without soaking everything.
    Unless you have the footprint, setup of rain fly first will be difficult. Not saying it can't be done. Likely someone has as I learned earlier. Even with the footprint I am not sure how one would do it. There is no way to attach the crossbar to the fly and given that it goes over the center pole under tension it would be quite a trick to put it in last. Again, not saying it can't be done. It does have me scratching my head though.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 07-02-2015 at 16:56.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I recieved the tent a couple days ago and couldn't wait to set it up, I pitched the tent in my apartment livingroom, everything seems to be intact and I'm happy with the weight, it's very light compared to tents I grew up with. Today I'm going to madison county again and will be able to pitch it in a yard, I'll get to use the stakes that came with it to tighten it up and make it a seem a little more roomy. I'm definately glad I went with the 2 person tent instead. When they say 2 person tent, they really mean it. The tent would fit two people of my size sleeping side by side on their backs with little wiggle room. I thik this tent is a perfect size for just me and my backpack, so I'm happy with it.

LL Bean makes good stuff, and that tent won an award from Backpacker magazine a couple of years ago.

I'm going to practice setting it up a lot, if possible with the rain fly first. I suppose I could do it by staking it into the ground first and guess what the footprint of the bottom is, then spread out the bottom as far as it will go under the fly, and stake further and further out until the dimentions of the botton match the dimentions of the fly? That's just a guess but having the rain fly up first would help if it's raining.

Practice is good. Just make sure you practice setting up when it's windy... and when it's rainy... and when it's cold... and when it's dark. The more familiar you are with your equipment in all conditions, the better off you'll be.

Check out Lightheart Tents. I have a Camo Lightheart SoLong Solo....

Just hiked the entire Tahoe Rim Trail with it. It held up awesome through rain, heat, wind, and sand.

I pitched my tent again, outside with the stakes this time, and I slept in it overnight. It rained later that night but the tent kept the water out for the most part, well I should say I didn't get wet. However tiny bubbles of water formed on the inside of the rain fly. I think that's normal, and think the tent did great. I love how the base of the tent comes up a few inches higher than the fly to prevent water from flowing in. It came with 4 long strings and I dont know what they're for, it's not mentioned in the direcitons.

I had a few questions on tent maintenance if that's okay....

On extended trips where weight is important how is everyone getting the stakes all the way down, I had to use a maul (one with a plastic exterior so I wouldn't damage the stakes) I assume nobody is bringing a hammer, so is it even neccesary to have the stakes all the way down?

I've heard campdry a lot....

http://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-Camp-Heav...ywords=campdry

It says it's silicone based and works on tents, do you guys recommend this?

It looks like the seams are sealed but is it smart to seal them again to keep water out?

How often does the tent need sealing, is it something that you only need to do once, or should I bring a small bottle of it so I can seal it if I notice any leaks?

Last one on sealing, is it smart or necessary to spray the whole tent with it to prevent bubbles? Campdry says it's breathable so air can get through, but I'm not so sure on that one.

Other questions.....

How long can I leave the tent pitched? Will the poles for the frame bend over time if I keep it up for a few days?
    I have the tent still set up in the yard, I read in the instructions that sunlight or moisture can damage it so I dryed it inside and out and put a sheet over it to block the sun.

Also, a shammy seems to be very effective at drying a tent, any thoughts on this, is there any reason I shouldn't bring one on my long trip next year?

One last one....

What has been the lifespan of tents all of you have had? Have yall been able to keep them in good condition for years?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++