WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Around and about...

Default Shuttle (Fontana to Lakeview Drive) and Bears (Campsite 86 and 88)

I'm looking at a fall section hike from Lakeview Drive (the tunnel) SOBO to Fontana, so would like to park at Fontana and shuttle around to Lakeview Drive. I will have the boy with me so it will just be us two. We are loving the Smokies as this spring we did Gregory Bald from Twenty Mile up Wolf Ridge Trail (Thanks SGT for the info).

Any shuttle recommendation is much appreciated.

Next up Bears and Campsite 86 and 88:

Current possible plan SOBO:
    Lakeview Drive to Campsite 98 Chambers Creek 9.7
    Campsite 98 Cambers Creek to Campsite 88 Possum Hollow 16.2
    88 to Lakeshore Drive 3.8
    Lakeshore to Fontanna 5.2
    Total 34.9

Or, similar to this, but stay at Campsite 86. Note: 88 to Fontana will be done in one day. I noticed that the GSMNP has 88 and 86 closed down due to bear activity. You think that side of the park will calm down by Fall?
    Reference:
    http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm

Thanks a ton for any thoughts and details.

JustADude

Images

Shuttle possibilities are Jude Julius listed on page 48, or contact the Hike Inn and talk to Jeff listed on page 42.

Campsite 98 is usually full of trash. Boats and horse campers love it. The lake shore is clogged with flotsam but if you can ignore that stay in the front couple of campsites and don't go back to the horse space near the Chimney which is usually covered up in garbage.

I think the bear issues should be resolved by fall, at least I really hope so.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

I stayed at 98 recently and it was perfectly clean. Even back at the horse area. Definitely flotsam there on the lake, though.

When I was booking my sites the person in the backcountry office said that 88 and 86 could be closed for "quite some time" but who knows how many months that translates into, of course.

I went from the Fontana Dam shelter to 81 in one day, and didn't find it too painful, but it was definitely a long day.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Shuttle possibilities are Jude Julius listed on page 48, or contact the Hike Inn and talk to Jeff listed on page 42.

Campsite 98 is usually full of trash. Boats and horse campers love it. The lake shore is clogged with flotsam but if you can ignore that stay in the front couple of campsites and don't go back to the horse space near the Chimney which is usually covered up in garbage.

I think the bear issues should be resolved by fall, at least I really hope so.
    Sad...I noticed all the garbage around the lake on a section that ended at the dam last winter. Some people just need there arse kicked!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I yea forgot....Donna @ cabin in the woods also great shuttler in that area....used several times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Good news is that the campsites and trails in that area have been open (about a week now I think).

++ New Posts ++