WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Poles on planes

Default Poles on planes

This will be my first time heading to the AT with my pack on a plane. Will my hiking poles be alright secured to the outside of my pack?

Journal Entries

You can check poles as baggage.
    You may or may not be allowed to carry on.
    If checking pack, wrap it in heavy plastic or put in duffel or box. You dont want things hanging off that can get caught on anything.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PuckFu-AgentofChange View Post
    This will be my first time heading to the AT with my pack on a plane. Will my hiking poles be alright secured to the outside of my pack?
    Not advisable. Like MW said, they can hang up on conveyors and such. We put our packs in a large duffel. Works well.

Poles may be problematic, it really depends on the departing airport TSA personnel. I have seen them allowed on, usually not.

The other consideration you may face are the maximum carry on size and weight limits. These vary by airlines, some sizes are;

American, Alaska airlines - 24" x 17" x 10"
    Delta

Bah! Hit the wrong button....

American, Alaska - 24" x 17" x 10"
    Delta, Northwest - 22" x 14" x 9"
    Southwest -
    24" x 16" x 10"
    United, USAirways -
    24" x 16" x 10"

Some planes have very small overheads and carry on is further limited in size. Maximum weight for most US carriers is 40 lbs, but can be rejected by the gate attendant, even if 2 lbs lighter depending on the size, bulk, or shape of the carry on.

Best solution is to either ship it ahead of you via UPS or FedEx, or put it in a duffle and check it.

Journal Entries

Airlines are currently also making carry on sizes smaller to force more baggage check fees.

Just got back from Costa Rica ...spirit airlines now only allows 1-"personal bag"......charges for carry on....I'm planning to ship my bag straight to the hotel for my jmt hike..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I fly with my pack I always put my poles inside my pack next to the bag's frame. I've never tried to carry poles as hand luggage and I can imagine there would be a big risk of getting them taken off you.

Don't take the chance with TSA. I recommend mailing poles, tent stakes, knife, and other things you can't reliably carry on board. Then carry your pack on board as carry-on luggage. USPS has a large priority mail box called the "board game" size box that perfectly fits my collapsed poles as well as other miscellaneous items:

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/...uctId=P_GB_FRB

If you have click-n-ship, it costs less than $16 to send anywhere in the US with tracking. This is the best way to go. However, you usually have to order the (free) boxes ahead of time since they aren't stocked in most post offices.

You can also use fed ex or UPS but the cost is going to be higher. But in all cases the cost is usually equal to or just slightly more than the cost of checking a bag. And you don't have to rely on TSA. Never rely on TSA. They are arbitrary and totally capricious in terms of what they allow. It is up the discretion of a lowly paid screener. Many, in my experience, relish the power they hold over people. And they won't hesitate to screw up your trip. Sure there are exceptions but rude and capricious service is what I have come to expect and I travel quite a bit.

Images

i thought samuel l jackson had a new movie out
    Last edited by kayak karl; 06-20-2015 at 12:34.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Last time I flew Southwest so there was no checked baggage fee. It was a non stop flight so I wasn't too worried about lost luggage. I have a big canvas green army duffel bag that held everything (left with shuttle driver for the trip home). Remember that ONE book of matches and a common lighter are OK in your carry-on/pocket but not checked bags (go figure).

Check your airline's website and the TSA website for what is and isn't allowed (note that they may not be the same). Overheard a conversation today at a local outfitter where they said poles with rubber tips are probably ok, but I'd still check the "authorities".

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Coming back from Vancouver after finishing the PCT I broke my trekking poles down into sections and put them inside my pack, then took my pack on the plane as a carry-on. No problem.

PuckFu is headed back to the AT, really? After a decade it would seem like you might have gotten over it. I understand, it's kinda hard, it's your roots. Be aware, it's not the same. And it's definitely not Oregon!

As far as your question. They will absolutely NOT let you carry them on. I've already tried to claim that they were the same as anybody who had a walking cane, but they would not budge. Most airlines specifically state, trekking poles are not allowed in carry-on. You can check them IN your baggage. I take mine apart, into three separate pieces, so they will fit into my Osprey. I will usually duct tape them together to make them stronger and I've never had a problem with them getting bent.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I just returned from my first hike with airplane to and from:
    You can attach your poles (compressed to shortest possible) strapped to the outside of your pack. I asked the baggage attendant to wrap the whole thing in a bag, which the Orlando airport provided. On the return, I asked for the bag again and Albany airport didn't have any. The attendant got one from a janitor and taped it up nicely. No damage to pack or poles.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    I just returned from my first hike with airplane to and from:
    You can attach your poles (compressed to shortest possible) strapped to the outside of your pack. I asked the baggage attendant to wrap the whole thing in a bag, which the Orlando airport provided. On the return, I asked for the bag again and Albany airport didn't have any. The attendant got one from a janitor and taped it up nicely. No damage to pack or poles.
    I assume you checked them not carried on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDane View Post
    Check your airline's website and the TSA website for what is and isn't allowed (note that they may not be the same). Overheard a conversation today at a local outfitter where they said poles with rubber tips are probably ok, but I'd still check the "authorities".
    The problem is that you can't check with "the authorities." They even make a big deal of saying that the rules are intentionally unpredictable so that the bad guys won't figure them out. You never know what's allowed or not until the screener tells you. I've had an empty Nalgene bottle confiscated because "it's too large a liquid container, and well, you could just fill it up again past the checkpoint."
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries

I can tell you that you MIGHT get on a flight with them attached to the outside of your pack. And on the NEXT FLIGHT you will be denied boarding and asked to check them. The problem is that the TSA and baggage handlers lurking behind those rubber flaps on the conveyor don't care about your stuff. Except in the case where they want to steal it. I've had a fly rod in an aluminum tube that I intended to carry on a flight to Montana and they made me check it. I never saw it again.

Your best bet if you want to get them there would be to put them IN THE PACK, check the pack after you have plastic wrap up on the pack. If they remove the plastic wrap they'll most likely tape it up to have the straps covered so the don't catch on the belts.

Alternatively, ship them to yourself somehow.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Having traveled outside the US, I'm shocked by how unprofessional our TSA can be. It would be nice to think that the unpredictable nature of screening is to keep terrorists guessing but it is more likely simple incompetence and/or vindictiveness on the part of lowly paid, poorly trained, and otherwise powerless workers taking it out on travelers. Contrast this to security in a place like Tel Aviv Israel where obviously highly trained, highly competent, and very polite screeners not only do a good job of examining the contents of carry on AND checked luggage but also ask intelligent questions and engage travelers in casual conversation to look for red flags. Also as one approaches security, there are cameras watching the behavior of individuals to detect tip offs like nervous tics and other signs that someone may be up to no good. Maybe I'm wrong about TSA but I doubt it based on my experiences.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    The problem is that you can't check with "the authorities." They even make a big deal of saying that the rules are intentionally unpredictable so that the bad guys won't figure them out. You never know what's allowed or not until the screener tells you. I've had an empty Nalgene bottle confiscated because "it's too large a liquid container, and well, you could just fill it up again past the checkpoint."
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    It would be nice to think that the unpredictable nature of screening is to keep terrorists guessing but it is more likely simple incompetence and/or vindictiveness on the part of lowly paid, poorly trained, and otherwise powerless workers taking it out on travelers.
    I should have used italics.They make a big deal of saying that the rules are intentionally unpredictable so that the bad guys won't figure them out. It gives them license to make them up as they go.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++