WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Campsites aound Grant Brook just North of Trapper John Shelter, NH

Doing a Section Hike north from Hanover and would like to bypass Trapper John Shelter and go a few miles farther north to make the next day shorter into Hexacuba Shelter. Not knowing the terrain, (being from AZ), I could use some help. Is it feasible to find a place to set up a tent in this stretch as we approach Lyme-Dorchester Rd.?

When are you going. Also in AZ but from NH. Also looking for hiking buddy on that section Aug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that you have to camp at designated campsites along this section

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I believe that you have to camp at designated campsites along this section
    And is something you really should do everywhere along the trail in NH.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    And is something you really should do everywhere along the trail in NH.
    I don't see anything that says I must use designated campsites and, having hiked significant AT miles south of here, I know there are MANY un-designated campsites. I recognize that NH is an ecosystem that may not be conducive to these sorts of sites. Not wanting to argue LNT. We're careful. So, any ideas in this stretch?? I'm an older section hiker for whom 5 miles is too little and 12 might be too much.

Quote Originally Posted by pyroman53 View Post
    I don't see anything that says I must use designated campsites and, having hiked significant AT miles south of here, I know there are MANY un-designated campsites. I recognize that NH is an ecosystem that may not be conducive to these sorts of sites. Not wanting to argue LNT. We're careful. So, any ideas in this stretch?? I'm an older section hiker for whom 5 miles is too little and 12 might be too much.
    NH isn't like other parts of the trail. The terrain is steep, the woods are densely grown in and ground is covered with big rocks and fallen tree limbs.

It looks like the only place where you might find a place to camp would be at the top of the little ridge you cross between Grafton Turnpike and Lyme-Dorchester road. But that is less then 2 miles from the Trapper John shelter so it doesn't buy you much. Go past the height of land there and you quickly get close to a couple of house's back yards and then once past the Lyme-Dorchester road you start the steep climb up Smarts mountain.

You should really just plan on hiking shelter to shelter through here. If two shelters are only 5 miles apart, there is a reason for that.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Mrs Gorp
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pyroman53 View Post
    Just because you don't see it doesn't mean the "designated campsite" rule doesn't exist. Perhaps you should get a copy of the Appalachian Trail Guide to New Hampshire-Vermont. Pg. 166 of the current edition~the section where Grant Brook is located south of NH 25A~the Trail is in a narrow corridor, still on or surrounded by private land where camping and fires are permitted only at official designated campsites.

Thanks guys! Very helpful. As you know, sometimes campsites appear in the darndest places so I had to ask. Guess I better pack a bit some extra bourbon to kick back!!

++ New Posts ++