WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default BSP - Leave No Trace Concept seems to be missing some folks

http://bangordailynews.com/2015/07/0...-with-success/

Its not unusual when hiking the trails up Katahdin to find where folks just "stopped and dropped" right in the middle of the trail. I generally ascribe that to the day hikers who swarm the mountain every year.

Journal Entries

Good article! Happy they've taken the poop issue "by the horns".

This really seems to be primarily an issue in the day hike areas. I've seen folks do their business by a log ten feet from the cage latrine at Frost Pond, but other than that most of the real back country areas are free of human waste. Moose and bear waste on the other hand...
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Images

Lets see, we build a $200,000 parking lot with a $10,000 Kiosk and park 20 cars and build a short cut to a nice waterfall. Hmmmm forgot to include bathroom facilities. Just where do you expect folks to go? I carried a trowel and found it useless, it never cut through the roots or rocks, seems a few good heel stomps and I had a nice 6" deep hole to bury the mess. Oh but above treeline there are few roots just rocks, cannot dig in rocks, so find one you can lift and cover the mess, opps seems every rock is already covering someone Else mess.

People do not go off trail on account of fear of ticks, chiggers, bugs in general. I remember running to hide behind a bolder and walking back through a lot of 1 foot plants, looks at my legs and pulled off 16 ticks. That makes me want to do it again run a few hundred feet off trail. Ya know you do not have tons of time to do a field study of choice locations, you mainly look to be hidden so that nobody gets scared out of their mind at the sight of a moon in the forest. There is only one answer, build proper facilities and LETS FOLKS KNOW WHERE THEY ARE.

Images

Actually, there are other options. Go before you head above treeline, use the provided facilities before you hike, or packed it in... You can pack it out.

It is disturbing and unnecessary to see someone's crap on the trail. This doesn't even begin to cover the health hazards it could pose... And, if you aren't sure where the facilities might be in a park - Just ask a ranger. They would be more than happy to tell you where facilities are located and what to do with your poo.

Images

Meant to say "YOU packed it in... You can pack it out."

Bag it out above tree line, or smear it on a south facing rock, o'coarse park restrictions apply depending where ya are. Know the rules where you hike, and as they say...when in Rome!

Alpine rule has been the same for many years in BSP; 200' off trail via rock hop and leave waste exposed on a rock taking TP with you. No cat holes or rock moving as that would disturb the fragile ecosystem. The only thing different is that they are talking to more people because no one reads the handouts everyone gets at the gate.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStranger View Post
    Alpine rule has been the same for many years in BSP; 200' off trail via rock hop and leave waste exposed on a rock taking TP with you. No cat holes or rock moving as that would disturb the fragile ecosystem. The only thing different is that they are talking to more people because no one reads the handouts everyone gets at the gate.
    Wow, I've never heard it recommended to leave waste exposed to the elements like that ... Seems unsustainable for large numbers. Best to take care of business below treeline. Or mandate WAG bags above treeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Wow, I've never heard it recommended to leave waste exposed to the elements like that ... Seems unsustainable for large numbers. Best to take care of business below treeline. Or mandate WAG bags above treeline.
    I have heard this before for rocky terrain. With no soil, rock-covered poop lasts a long time. But exposed to the sun and elements, it decays more quickly. But agreed that with large number of people, that may not be quick enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I have heard this before for rocky terrain. With no soil, rock-covered poop lasts a long time. But exposed to the sun and elements, it decays more quickly. But agreed that with large number of people, that may not be quick enough.
    Agreed, you see this technique used in the Sierras when the soil gets too difficult to work. But I think the WAG bags be required gear (or issued with park access) is the best idea.

Pack out would make sense, but if you handed out bags at the THs you'd have bags of poop all over the mountain at the end of the day. There are a lot of folks climbing that mountain with very little back country experience and no clue what LNT might be all about. I'm glad they are getting out there, but I wish they'd worry less about getting a bug bite and a bit more about taking care of the sacred mountain.

YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Journal Entries
    Images

Some good points. Build facilities where necessary. WAG bags work for people willing to use them and they sure do not get disposed of in a septic system. I've always gone as far from the trail as possible and put it as deep as possible. When above treeline I use the go first and then try and hold it method. But do carry a sack.

Images

Well that didn't work out so well... That was a picture of the sign to the last outhouse on the trail. Attached to the sign is a notice about how to deal with your poo beyond that point, should you opt to not partake of the outhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    Well that didn't work out so well... That was a picture of the sign to the last outhouse on the trail. Attached to the sign is a notice about how to deal with your poo beyond that point, should you opt to not partake of the outhouse.
    GB decease, LOL

Its not so bad, if you rotate the screen about 10 degrees left, hold your tongue like this.... and squint juuust right, you can see the sign. The outhouse gets lost in the background though.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    GB decease, LOL
    Exactly! *slamming head on desk*

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    Its not so bad, if you rotate the screen about 10 degrees left, hold your tongue like this.... and squint juuust right, you can see the sign. The outhouse gets lost in the background though.
    Oh, so you are saying you didn't need me to describe it?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    GB decease, LOL
    I will laugh with you RS. Private jokes are sometimes the best. And to stay on subject, don't build more buildings, rip up a few roads. Make it harder to get there.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Well there's your problem...
    I think you left a trace.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++