WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User BenOnAdventures's Avatar
    Images

Default Gear Talk: We're talking hiking pants!! What's your favorite/what's the best brand?

Hello adventurers, I've been doing some research and having difficulties deciding on what hiking pants to get. What are your favorite hiking pants or favorite brand of hiking pants? Let's talk!!
    Feel free to connect with me on Twitter @BenOnAdventures

I've tried 4 or 5 different pants and have not found any better than the older TNF, it's a little heavier than some but drys fast than most. The worst gear I have tried are Mt Hardware, pc of crap, cant get hands into the pockets and they are just not comfortable...$75 wasted there. I have a pair of Under Armour that are comfortable but dont dry like the TNF.

Love the REI Sahara convertibles. They are lightweight and dry quickly. The legs can be zipped off without having to sit down and pull them over your shoes. Mine have cleaned up pretty well, too. Just be sure you pack an extra button for the waist in case that pops off.

I've only tried out 2 or 3 different pairs...but I really enjoy my current pair of Prana Zion Stretch convertibles. Took them out in 30 degree as well as 90 degree weather, highly recommended!!

http://www.amazon.com/prAna-Mens-Str.../dp/B004QQ5LEO

After trying a few different options I've settled on the OR Equinox Convertible pants. They fit me well and have all the options I need, like elastic drawstrings at ankles for my short legs, zippers that work well, a simple button closure on the waistband that is easy to work but stays snapped even when I'm off-trail fat, and the lifetime guarantee that means I'm not re-spending repeatedly on them

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I've tried 4 or 5 different pants and have not found any better than the older TNF, it's a little heavier than some but drys fast than most. The worst gear I have tried are Mt Hardware, pc of crap, cant get hands into the pockets and they are just not comfortable...$75 wasted there. I have a pair of Under Armour that are comfortable but dont dry like the TNF.
    Thank you that's much appreciated! Love the insight

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ryjohnson09 View Post
    I've only tried out 2 or 3 different pairs...but I really enjoy my current pair of Prana Zion Stretch convertibles. Took them out in 30 degree as well as 90 degree weather, highly recommended!!

http://www.amazon.com/prAna-Mens-Str.../dp/B004QQ5LEO
    Sweet, thank you for the link!! I'll check em out!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dawg View Post
    Love the REI Sahara convertibles. They are lightweight and dry quickly. The legs can be zipped off without having to sit down and pull them over your shoes. Mine have cleaned up pretty well, too. Just be sure you pack an extra button for the waist in case that pops off.
    Thanks I'll keep that in mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dawg View Post
    +1. lasts over 1000 miles at least. On second pair now with 900 miles of use. Still looks new.

Images

REI Saharas. Got a pair with over 1,000 miles only a small tear in one knee where I fell. Great pants, love the pockets.

I've been using the Columbia Silver Ridge Convertible Pants. They are about two ounces lighter than the REI pants. Also, I just popped over to the REI page to check out the Saharas. Most of the reviews on those pants are not favorable. It is possible that they used to be better, and then they changed something that has given rise to many complaints.

I can't say that I love the Columbias. The fabric is okay, but it feels like a super lightweight, artificial fabric. It works, but it doesn't feel fabulous against the skin. Storage and pockets are good on these pants. The pants are durable enough and light enough.

Rumney shorts. They're expensive but they last forever and dry obscenely fast. I went commando in them the whole way and was in heaven.
    There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

I have been happy with Magellean convertibles from Academy.

ccartertn

Images

I'd like to thank all of you for your help!! I'm still debating which ones to get but I'm leaning towards the Columbia or RIE pants. Tough choices, I feel biased though since I like Columbia a lot personally.

Marmot Scree pants. Stretchy, not floppy. Comfortable. The suggestions above are also good, as are many others. Take your pick. It's not a super critical item.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

++ New Posts ++