WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default looking for a new lighter weight pack

Hello,

It has become very apparent to me that I need a lighter pack. I currently have a large 65 Atmos. Great for winter. Also a problem with this pack. When I bought this 2 years ago I knew nothing about fitting, so I trusted a very well known outdoor supply chain to fit me. I was told I was a large. I have been measured 3 other times by others in this chain and was told I was a medium. I will go next week to see what can be done. But this is a different matter.

My base weight was for the summer about 16-18ish, but I packed WAY too much food so my total weight with water was around 30ish... to much.

I have looked at ULA, GG, Granite Gear, but have not heard anyone about six moons packs.

In looking at these packs, they all have load weights that cannot exceed 30 pounds of so. Is there any that can handle 35lbs after resupplying in towns, or if cameling up for a dry stretch

Any thoughts or suggestions, would be very helpful. What do you have? what works for you?

Thanks,
    Floyd

Not sure what Granite Gear pack you were looking at, but I used a Granite Gear Blaze AC 60 the whole way and loved it, it's about a pound lighter then your Atmos. You should never go above 35 at any point on the AT no matter what anyone else tells you, and I never went above 25 or 27. Granted my base weight was 13, so maybe you should look at getting your base weight down a bit but that's another discussion. I also don't think the Blaze AC 60 would have any trouble going up to 35, if memory serves that's what it's rated to anyway.
    There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

Images

The ULA Circuit is great up to 30 pounds and can handle more for a couple of days out of town, though it's not ideal for 35. I just got the new Zpacks Arc Haul, which they claim will handle 40, though I think the hip belt is too soft for that. It does handle 30 easily, though, and it's at least as comfortable as my old Circuit while being half a pound lighter. Both are very well made packs.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

a ULA Circuit is fine coming out of town at 35 lbs. Also the ULA Catalyst is fine coming out of town at 40 maybe 45 for a day or two, if you are really worried about it. If this for the AT you really should never need to be past 35 unless you are doing some serious winter stuff (both for gear and that is the one time I have had water issues on the AT. Out west can be quite another thing with the water weight.

I have an Elemental Horizons Kalais. I believe it to be similar to the ULA packs. It is rated up to 35 lbs. I suppose I had it up that much last summer when I cameled up for a dry camp (plus I carried too much food). I carried great.

I cannot help you with the others..and it's a shame about the poor fit. But I am a huge fan of Osprey. why? Because of their lifetime guarantee. In fact, my pack is back at the Opsrey repair shop in Colorado. Now, it's been through a thru hike (AT), many other shorter hikes (AT and others), and a backpacking trip in Europe. It's been through more miles/trips than 98% of most packs will see. On my last trip, I noticed the stitching around the aluminum support piece was seperating. I wasn't upset because I knew that I had gotten a lot of use out of the thing (and it fit me perfectly).

I was searching for a replacement pack when I saw the lifetime guarantee on their website. I contacted them about my issue, got a return #, and shipped it back.Hassle free. If it is not repairable, they WILL REPLACE IT WITH A NEW ONE!!! How many companies stand behind their products like that??? In other words, if you buy an Osprey pack, you will have a pack for a lifetime. Again, maybe the others do this as well....but I will never buy another brand of pack. I have a 70L and have thought about getting a smaller pack for short/weekend trips. In this day and age of disposable products, i am greatly impressed by their belief and commitment to their product.

Legal disclaimer: I nor any member of my family are not affiliated with Osprey nor am I being paid for this post. Any reproduction of this post with the express written consent of the author is expressly forbidden. This post may not be valid in certain countries of South America or the European Union. In the event of an actual emergency, another post will follow.This post is not valid for readers under the age of 16 without written permission from their parents or legal guardians.

Images

+++ Granite Gear VC Crown. Best of my seven packs, 60 L, 2.2 lbs, not as comfortable as my old Vapor Trail, but it is my go-to pack...

The Gossamer Gear Mariposa can carry 35 pounds. I've been happy with mine, but it's bigger than I need; it has a huge volume I've never come close to filling. When it's time to get a new pack I'll probably get a smaller Gossamer pack or check out Zpacks; the other Zpacks items I've bought are excellent.

Why is it that nobody ever mentions Zimmerbuilt packs in any of these discussions? It's always the same 4-5 companies. The packs from Seek Outside get very little mention as well. Just curious because both companies appeal to me.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Why is it that nobody ever mentions Zimmerbuilt packs in any of these discussions? It's always the same 4-5 companies. The packs from Seek Outside get very little mention as well. Just curious because both companies appeal to me.

Wayne

never heard of either of them. Nor have I seen either on the trail. This is not to say they aren't good packs but....the reason you have of 4-5 is because they have stood the test of time and also because they are easily available. Hikers demand and depend on quality products. I have ordered a tent from the internet site unseen because a) the brand (Tarptent) was widely known and used on the AT and b) "fit" of a tent isn't critical for a typical size person. I do not know if I would buy a pack on without trying it on. In this regard, packs are like boots. A poor fit (see the OP) won't work, no matter what the brand name is.

I agree about fit. Fit comes before weight in my book.
    On the other hand, there are more than a small handful of backpacks on the market. Section Hiker has a lot of backpack reviews. Worth a visit. IMHO.

Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Images

Osprey Volt 75 for me - fits well and I like it so well I bought a second as a back up.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

I used Granite Gear packs for years (AC 60 and Blaze 60) and referred them to everyone until I bought a ULA Ohm 2.0. You probably looking for a large pack than the Ohm (maybe a Circuit), but as far as packs go ULA is pretty sweet.

GAME 06

Another thing about the maximum weight rating.

Since people are so different one has to take this number with a grain of salt. What weight might seem very uncomfortable in a pack to one person might be fine to another. That is one reason why you get such different answers. The manufacturers have another reason to give a number. They will know from testing that if a hiker puts a certain weight in the pack for very long that they will start seeing structural failures of the pack. They do not want to get a rep for making equipment which fails so they give a number for max which is somewhat below where testing shows a high incidence of failure.

My previous pack was a Granite Gear which I often ran to its "weight" limit due to the needs for extra days of food and long water carries. I had the top of the shoulder strap tear loose from where it is sewed to the bag twice. That being said the pack got about 3000 miles on it before I retired it.

Registered User BenOnAdventures's Avatar
    Images

I really like my High Sierra pack, its light, durable, built in rain cover. It's great, I highly recommend it.
    Feel free to connect with me on Twitter @BenOnAdventures

Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    I cannot help you with the others..and it's a shame about the poor fit. But I am a huge fan of Osprey. why? Because of their lifetime guarantee. In fact, my pack is back at the Opsrey repair shop in Colorado. Now, it's been through a thru hike (AT), many other shorter hikes (AT and others), and a backpacking trip in Europe. It's been through more miles/trips than 98% of most packs will see. On my last trip, I noticed the stitching around the aluminum support piece was seperating. I wasn't upset because I knew that I had gotten a lot of use out of the thing (and it fit me perfectly).

I was searching for a replacement pack when I saw the lifetime guarantee on their website. I contacted them about my issue, got a return #, and shipped it back.Hassle free. If it is not repairable, they WILL REPLACE IT WITH A NEW ONE!!! How many companies stand behind their products like that??? In other words, if you buy an Osprey pack, you will have a pack for a lifetime. Again, maybe the others do this as well....but I will never buy another brand of pack. I have a 70L and have thought about getting a smaller pack for short/weekend trips. In this day and age of disposable products, i am greatly impressed by their belief and commitment to their product.

Legal disclaimer: I nor any member of my family are not affiliated with Osprey nor am I being paid for this post. Any reproduction of this post with the express written consent of the author is expressly forbidden. This post may not be valid in certain countries of South America or the European Union. In the event of an actual emergency, another post will follow.This post is not valid for readers under the age of 16 without written permission from their parents or legal guardians.

I'm struggling with figuring out whether to stick with an Atmos 65 AG, and what size, or to go with the Exos 58 (medium) I've been using so far.

I'm taking a Small Atmos 65 AG out this weekend... I do like that it is more substantial than the Exos. That said, I carried 38 pounds in the Exos on a recent 2-day trip with no problem except for a sore bum where the hip belt was. I think I may need a Small size...not medium.
    Planning for a North-South thru-hike to begin...one of these days...

Sounds like you need a professional fitting and a variety of packs. For every pack loved by many there are people who hated the same pack.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by mml373 View Post
    I'm struggling with figuring out whether to stick with an Atmos 65 AG, and what size, or to go with the Exos 58 (medium) I've been using so far.

I'm taking a Small Atmos 65 AG out this weekend... I do like that it is more substantial than the Exos. That said, I carried 38 pounds in the Exos on a recent 2-day trip with no problem except for a sore bum where the hip belt was. I think I may need a Small size...not medium.
    as was said above, go to a good outfitter and get fitted. My advice on which pack to get is opposite of what most will tell you. Prevailing wisdom will tell you to buy the smallest pack so as to avoid "filling it up". I go with the large pack (and avoid filling it up) because here are a few times when I do need the extra volume. I can put 45L in a 70L pack but I cannot get 70l into a 45L pack. Keeps me from buying (and storing) multiple packs.

I was regularly over 30 with my Zpack (60l) which I carried the entire trail last year. I will admit that the straps were wearing thin towards the end but they held up all the way to the top of Katahdin. When I got home I sent it in to Zpack and they made repairs to all holes and worn straps replacing the shoulder straps with the newest style all at no cost.

Ospreys are just heavy. I lugged my 5 pound external frame 2000 miles out of shear stubborness. 4 pounds of Osprey just doesn't sound nearly as good as 1-2 pounds regardless of a lifetime warranty IMHO.

Currently looking at the OHM, Crown 60, Arc Blast, and Mariposa for a PCT thru which I need 30-35 max. carrying ability and 50-60 liters, which sounds like what you're looking at. (If I'm off on my thoughts plz let me know.)
    AT (LASH) '04-'14

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++