WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Personally I think the AT is too porous (too many road crossings) for a permit system. However, thru-hikers permits or hikes starting from Springer and K, would be a lot easier to implement.
    Underlying problem is lack of enforcement authority, and hikers use that to advantage.

National parks have it

Ridgerunners can have it too

Permit shoud specify start dates and locations, so people are limited and spread out.

Also should be the ONLY means of AT access in national parks and baxter. No permit, you arent hiking those places as a thru hiker.

Violations get permit cancelled.

Quit promoting thru hiking, start protecting the trail experience

When the general population comes to view it as a refuge for partying 22yr olds, and not a wilderness type experience, support for it will actuall decrease.

Quote Originally Posted by Solent View Post
    I'm one of those newbie lurkers that Just Bill mentioned in his previous posts. Been reading the forums for a couple years and just now registered.

I skimmed the letter that was sent in Nov 2014 and I find it interesting that 3% of the people that went up Katahdin were through hikers (less than 2000 out of more than 63,000) and yet it seemed like all the problems on Katahdin were caused from through hikers, especially that comment about large parties and drinking. It is also interesting how they get these figures if they don't have enough money for someone to be there constantly. Now granted, I'm a runner who hikes so I haven't been in the hiking scene hardly at all but that letter just does not seem right to me.

The letter also mentioned a steward, you would think that by putting up a sign, such as one Lone Wolf suggested, and that those individuals who are caught drinking. That the steward could issue citations and the park that has no money, could earn some coin.

As far as impact for FKT, I don't see it as a problem. They are usually so difficult and have no money earnings involved that it won't be turned into a Boston Marathon type event. Even the first place prizes at ultras usually just have a trophy of some sort and a new pair of shoes or a cool duffel bag. So they aren't even close to a regular city marathon. For those that haven't been to an ultra, the ones I have been to all practice Leave No Trace ethics. As well, the number of people for most of these events that I go to in the Virginia area have a max cap of 400 or less, most of the time the race doesn't even cap out. And if you have any experience with road races, you will be surprised to find a jerk of an ultra runner. Yes, you may run into someone that is having a bad day (who doesn't have those) but most ultra runners I have met are really friendly and do their best to leave the trail in a better shape than they found it. Often picking up sticks or others trash (day hikers, hunters, ect.) or donating their time to the A.T. or other trails for others to enjoy. There are even races that require trail work to register. And these ultra/trail runners encourage their friends to come out and enjoy the trails and teach them those same rules and ethics. So there is a positive influence happening.

When it comes to passing people, my personal philosophy is to just let everyone pass you and just to be friendly during the encounter. And if I am running up one someone to just ask nicely to pass.

I feel like this whole hiker/runner/biker thing reminds me a lot of driving.

Seems like everyone who drives has this same type of personal entitlement no matter their speed. You have the drivers that go 10 under the highway speed in the left (passing) lane. You have the people who go 15 over and tailgate you no matter which lane you're in. And then only way to get in the lane you need to take an exit is to cut each other off because no one is nice enough to let you in. And don't let me even start talking about the Sunday drivers...

My point is, go into your hike or run with a selfless attitude when encountering people and maybe you might make a friend. Who cares who passes who, it usually takes but a second anyways and that friendly exchange you make (whether or not they do the same) could just be enough to brighten their day, or save their life if they were planning on committing suicide.

As far as the the impact damage (physical pounding of the ground), have you ever taken a hike in the Grand Canyon? I'd be more worried about mules/horses than runners on a trail.
    Great take and I agree.

I think this whole thing is getting blown out of proportion, mostly on the interwebz.

BSP officials sounds like park officials being, well, park officials. Sure Jurek and his team broke a few rules but I dont think there was any ill intent there, just a few oversights. BSP made it sound like he was hosting spring break up there.

If BSP were to close the AT through their territory this would be---in my opinion---a huge mistake. The park would survive but also lose a lot of money, and get a lot of negative press. This would also open up the door for rebellious and scorned thru hikers to "stealth-hike" Katahdin at night or without permits just to complete their thru. The park just doesn't have enough resources to enforce 24/7. It's not RMNP, Yellowstone, or GNP.

The only negative effect of FKTs on thru hiking and the long trails I foresee is a change in how the hiker media portrays and classifies hikers. There is already some glorification happening with regards to faster, lighter, and more prolific long-distance hikers. Those people deserve their props but should not be pedestalized. Their hikes are not better or worse than any other. The actual effort of a FKT is prohibitive for most people, and there is no real commercial gain to be had. It's too much of a niche.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

Quit promoting thru hiking, start protecting the trail experience
    Except for publishing the "Thru-Hikers' Companion" I don't see where the ATC promotes thru-hiking. On the contrary...

THRU HIKING

A thru-hiker is a hiker or backpacker who has completed or is attempting to walk the entire Appalachian Trail in a 12-month period (not necessarily a calendar year).

Completing the entire 2,185 miles of the Appalachian Trail in one trip is a mammoth undertaking. It requires great determination and commitment, but can potentially be accomplished by anyone with the ability to walk. That's not to say hiking it is easy. The footpath of the A.T. is far more rugged than most anticipate, given the soft and gentle profiles of the mountains and relatively low elevations.

Each year, thousands of hikers attempt a thru-hike; only about one in four makes it all the way. A thru-hike is the better-known way to complete the entire A.T., but it has become so popular that hikers starting a northbound thru-hike in Georgia or the first half of April will find campsites and shelters (and hostels in nearby towns) overcrowded or full on the southern end of the Trail. ATC encourages hikers to consider alternative starting dates and locations to help alleviate the impacts of so many hikers concentrated in certain areas of the Trail. More information on thru-hike intineraries can be found in the When & Where to Start page of this section.

SECTION HIKING

A section-hiker completes the A.T. in multiple trips over a period of years. This method allows hikers to enjoy all the Appalachian Trail has to offer, without making some of the sacrifices required for a thru-hike.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
++ New Posts ++