WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Section Hiking CT

Hello

I'm planning on hiking the entire CT section in early August. My question is where do i start in CT and where do i end in MA? I'm whiteblazing. Thanks in advance.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
    Hello

I'm planning on hiking the entire CT section in early August. My question is where do i start in CT and where do i end in MA? I'm whiteblazing. Thanks in advance.
    if you want to REALLY make sure you hike all of CT, start at in pawling ny and end at jugg end road in MA. the CT/MA border isnt near any roads and the CT/NY border is crossed by a few feet in either direction several times.

Thanks. Where in Pawling, NY, street? And what town is Jugg End Road in? Im being dropped off and picked up by wife. I need to give her directions. Thanks.

Images

I'm heading out tomorrow or Wednesday to do the Ct. section and from what I see on my Guthook app the trail crosses the state line at Hoyt Road, mile 1455.6, so I'm getting dropped off there probably at the parking area and heading to Bear Mountain and getting picked up at either Bunker Hill Road or Mt. Washington Road, both in Salisbury with parking areas from the info I could find. I figured I'd see when I'm out there.
    Hopefully someone who knows for sure will reply to your post.

Use this site:

http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/

You will start at a small parking area on Hoyt Road in Pawling, NY. You don't *have* to end at Jugg End in Mass, you can hike to Sages Ravine to pick up every foot of CT and then back track a tiny bit and come down the Paradise Lane Trail and Undermountain Trail and come out on Rt 41 in Salsbury. CT.

Damn you guys are good. Thanks so much!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    I'm heading out tomorrow or Wednesday to do the Ct. section and from what I see on my Guthook app the trail crosses the state line at Hoyt Road, mile 1455.6, so I'm getting dropped off there probably at the parking area and heading to Bear Mountain and getting picked up at either Bunker Hill Road or Mt. Washington Road, both in Salisbury with parking areas from the info I could find. I figured I'd see when I'm out there.
    Hopefully someone who knows for sure will reply to your post.
    Yes, Mt. Washington Road would be another exit option.

I'm thinking of doing this in September. I'm curious how much time you guys are allocating for an end-to-end?

Images

"You don't *have* to end at Jugg End in Mass, you can hike to Sages Ravine to pick up every foot of CT and then back track a tiny bit and come down the Paradise Lane Trail and Undermountain Trail and come out on Rt 41 in Salsbury. CT."

This is what I was thinking as well, I'll make note of the two trails leading to Rt 41.
    Thanks!

Images

I'm planning on at least 10 miles a day since I am just over a calf injury but I will see when I'm out there, I have until the 23rd so more days than I need.

I'm giving myself five days. Hoping to do ten miles a day.

Thanks and good luck

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
    Thanks and good luck
    Thank you, you too.

I was looking at 5 full days and nights ending at the Sages Ravine or Laurel Ridge (MA) for the last night, and then doing that small back-track out to 41 on the 6th morning. If I am able to go deeper into Mass in that time frame then I will.

Images

You could also end by going over Race mountain ( great view ) and down Race brook falls trail to 41, There are tent platforms and water at the race falls campground also.

Quote Originally Posted by adamkrz View Post
    You could also end by going over Race mountain ( great view ) and down Race brook falls trail to 41, There are tent platforms and water at the race falls campground also.
    That looks like good stretch goal for me, thanks

Images

I hiked the Ct section in April, started at Hoyt Rd. and finished at Sages Ravine, then the Paradise Lane Trail to Undermountian Trail. I started late on Sunday and hike to Ten Mile River and then finished on Friday at mid-day. I had one day that I didn't feel well and only hiked 7 miles.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

If your plan is specifically to hike the Connecticut section, then I would think that getting dropped off at Duell Hollow Road, or Hoyt road in NY would be the better option as NY 22 is almost 7 miles south of the state line crossing.

If you have the time, I would recommend hiking north to Jug end road in MA, not for any practical reasons but because it's a great section. The trail from Lion's head (an outcropping a couple miles south of Bear Mountain in CT), through sages ravine, over Mt. Rade and on to just north of Mt. Everett is someone of the most beautiful hiking in Southern New England. I really hope you hit that section on a nice day so you an enjoy the meandering views.

P.S. Although it's not part of the section you are asking about, I feel the need to also add that the 15 miles of trail North of Jug End road in MA just suck, avoid that part during bug season.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    "You don't *have* to end at Jugg End in Mass, you can hike to Sages Ravine to pick up every foot of CT and then back track a tiny bit and come down the Paradise Lane Trail and Undermountain Trail and come out on Rt 41 in Salsbury. CT."

This is what I was thinking as well, I'll make note of the two trails leading to Rt 41.
    Thanks!
    assuming he is one day going to continue on to the AT in MA i would consider doubling back and spending time hiking on a side trail to be perhaps not the best use of time and energy. ive always personally found it odd (though i know it is commonly done) to try and divide the AT into sections by geopolitical boundaries. makes more sense to do it by mountain ranges or other natural features, in which case, why stop in the middle of the southern taconics?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post

P.S. Although it's not part of the section you are asking about, I feel the need to also add that the 15 miles of trail North of Jug End road in MA just suck, avoid that part during bug season.
    thats kind of how i feel about everything from jug end to cheshire.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++