WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default BMT Water Sources

I am starting a very small 30 miles section hike of the BMT between July 23-25 starting at Springer Mountain and ending at Wilscot Gap.

I am worried about water sources between Bryson Gap and Wallalah Mountain. I read the stream at the Suches crossing is polluted.

Should I cache water at the Suches crossing before Wallalah Mountain?

Also, any recent update on water at Payne Gap? SGT Rock's hiker guide shows the water source at PG is unreliable.

Looking forward to my hike. It is going to be hot but I hope the "green tunnel" keeps me cool.

I am section hiking the BMT this year. I have done this section. I made a video of the hike and a report on my website with pictures. If you would like to watch/read the videos/website, you can find it here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ye-Trail-Video

Do not drink from that place. A friend found a piped spring on the way down Toonowee Mountain towards GA 60. Pick up water there. There was water at Payne Gap, but I did this back March.

I also wouldn't pull water from Toccoa River. Right before the bridge going NOBO, you will find a pull off to your right with water coming from mountain above. I felt it was much, much safer and easier to pull from.

We did the section in 2 days and water wasn't that big of an issue, but depending on pace and how much you want to carry, I can see how water may be an issue after the Toccoa River Bridge. I think you will be fine, but a cache may not be a bad idea.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    I am starting a very small 30 miles section hike of the BMT between July 23-25 starting at Springer Mountain and ending at Wilscot Gap.

I am worried about water sources between Bryson Gap and Wallalah Mountain. I read the stream at the Suches crossing is polluted.

Should I cache water at the Suches crossing before Wallalah Mountain?

Also, any recent update on water at Payne Gap? SGT Rock's hiker guide shows the water source at PG is unreliable.

Looking forward to my hike. It is going to be hot but I hope the "green tunnel" keeps me cool.
    I was just out there a few weeks ago.

At about 8.3 there is a spring that is running very well.

At 8.6 the spring is running OK, but it is a bushwack to get to, get it off the trail as you descend from the bald for better water.

At 14.7 the water from the creek that will be to your right before you cross the bridge is great, I don't even treat it myself.

At 18.0 you will see a spring box to your left before you drop down to the road. It will be in an area where you can see the roofs of some houses. This water is excellent.

At 18.4 or so there is a spring to the right of the trail near where a 4 wheeler track crosses the BMT, this water is OK.

At 22.4 the spring is running well but it is a steep drop down from the trail.

At 26.6 Bryson gap the spring was running OK, but I had to dig it out a little to gather water.

I hope that helps.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Thank you very much for the quick and very helpful replies. I will be sure to let you all know how my hike goes.

++ New Posts ++