WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 31-year-old woman dies from lightning strike near Colorado trailhead

DENVER – Authorities say a 31-year-old woman died after she and three other hikers were struck by lightning near a popular trailhead west of Buena Vista.
    Derek Bos with the Chaffee County Sheriff's Office tells The Denver Post that emergency crews were called to the Denny Creek trailhead Friday afternoon. The coroner's office confirmed the death Friday night.
    One of the hikers was flown by helicopter to a hospital and is in stable condition. The other two suffered minor injuries and were able to get off the mountain on their own.
    Authorities haven't released the names of any of the victims.

Bos estimated the hikers were at an elevation of about 12,500 feet when they were struck. The trailhead is a popular gateway to Mount Yale, Hartenstein Lake and Browns Pass.

Lots of discussion here about lightning earlier this month. So sad...
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

Images

Sad, our son lives out there, had two friends and their dog hit a while back. Dog was killed, took the shot that probably saved 2 people. Have not heard medical update.

It's unfortunate that the best time to be on the CT is also the most dangerous from the risk of lightning.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Sad
    Sobering

Just to be clear, Denny Creek Trailhead is NOT on The Colorado Trail. It is used primarily for climbing Mt. Yale. It is fairly close to the Collegiate West route, so it certainly could have happened on the CT, but it didn't.

In the shadow of Segments 22 and 23 between Lake City & Silverton.

I would only add that everyone needs to be very careful this summer. This week we had a very nasty t-storm hit us at 12,500 feet in an exposed area on the CT (Segment 23). It was probably 40 degrees with 50 mph wind gusts and sleet, graupel and heavy rain for nearly one hour (with lightning). We have had very early storms lately (as early as 9:30) and other storms throughout the day with heavy rain and lightning. Plan accordingly. Ron

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    Just to be clear, Denny Creek Trailhead is NOT on The Colorado Trail. It is used primarily for climbing Mt. Yale. It is fairly close to the Collegiate West route, so it certainly could have happened on the CT, but it didn't.
    Very sad, we were watching that flight-for-life from nearby Friday.

But also to be clear, this happened at about 12,500', well above the Denny Creek trailhead and well above treeline and right during the heaviest time of day for lightning. Hike early on the CT if you have to spend a lot of time above treeline in any particular day, especially during the Monsoon (now thru end of August).

It's sobering having been in a few perilous situations on the CT myself last year. I thought I took the necessary precautions and still could have suffered the same fate as this woman.

Two other campers were killed at Maroon Bells last week. Father and his young son. Apparently from lightning, in their tent.

News said they were camping at about 11,000 feet. No other details.

I try to convey to people coming out here how seriously they need to take thunderstorms at altitude. They are mercurial and deadly.

It is possible the Maroon Bells deaths were caused by carbon monoxide. The burn mark found might have been from a lit camp stove, and not from lightning. http://www.9news.com/story/news/loca...xide/30288057/

Still - be careful with lightning, and never cook in your tent without extremely good ventilation (and even then...)
    2005 SOBO Attempt (500 miles)
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

I am planning to start the CT/SOBO on 31 July. I am very willing to take lightning seriously, start early, plan, understand strike patterns and safety position, etc. But as I look at segments 19-26. the trail is mostly above 10k ft. It appears that camping above 10k will be necessary. So how is the risk mitigated in those segments?

Images

Just try to always camp in the trees, but not isolated large ones, look for groves (lots of Aspen groves all over the place) and set up away from the largest trees. Treeline is something like 11,500-12,000' depending on a few things (latitude, slope aspect, micro-climates). I realize there are long stretches in the SJ's all above treeline, but even there, there are trees not too far below the trail to hike down to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mando12 View Post
    I am planning to start the CT/SOBO on 31 July. I am very willing to take lightning seriously, start early, plan, understand strike patterns and safety position, etc. But as I look at segments 19-26. the trail is mostly above 10k ft. It appears that camping above 10k will be necessary. So how is the risk mitigated in those segments?
    Treeline is pretty high in Colorado. There were a few nights when I camped close to treeline, but usually at least under some sparse tree cover. Usually the storms tend to dissipate before sunset anyway. There was only one occasion where I retreated back to treeline to camp. If I recall correctly, in the southern sections there are a few opportunities to take side trails down below treeline in the exposed areas in a worst case scenario.

Oh, I was thinking treeline was around 10,000 ft. 11.5-12k is good news! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Just try to always camp in the trees, but not isolated large ones, look for groves (lots of Aspen groves all over the place) and set up away from the largest trees. Treeline is something like 11,500-12,000' depending on a few things (latitude, slope aspect, micro-climates). I realize there are long stretches in the SJ's all above treeline, but even there, there are trees not too far below the trail to hike down to.

^This. Best advice.

Treeline is very high here relative to elsewhere in North America. Like Rob said 11,500-12,000 ft.

Basic lightning safety rules:

1. Time your travel on exposed areas carefully. Aim to be off summits and above-treeline areas BEFORE noon. Thunderstorms typically roll in here from noon onward, and are gone by nightfall.
    2. If you hear nearby thunder find safer terrain. Below treeline, in a ravine or gulch, not next to tall trees or lone trees.
    3. Avoid taller trees, lone trees, and long conductors once lightning gets close. That includes rocky overhangs. Groves are better.
    4. If lighting is upon you, assume the lightning position (crouched feet together on your pad). This will minimize the potential difference between a ground strike and your body.

None of this is foolproof and if in doubt, get down. Never walk into a thunderstorm on exposed terrain. Dark clouds = bad.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    It's sobering having been in a few perilous situations on the CT myself last year. I thought I took the necessary precautions and still could have suffered the same fate as this woman.
    Like it or not, luck of the draw plays a big part in life. People have been struck by lightning many miles away from a storm where they thought they were perfectly safe.
    You can do everything right, and die, and everything wrong and survive unscathed.
    Doing the right things just shifts the odds somewhat in your favor.

Lightning is my least favorite thing when hiking.

Although when you can catch an incredible lightning storm without rain, where it crackles and spreads across the sky at night, its an immensly powerful and beautiful thing , from a safe place.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-21-2015 at 22:16.

Were looking at hiking segments 21-24 this weekend into early next week. The weather is looking better in the San Juans for the next couple days but I'm still a bit nervous about the lightning factor. Does anybody have any advice for this section of trail if we are caught in a storm? It looks like all of segment 23 is between 12 and 13 thousand feet. Has anybody hiked these segments are are planning to soon?

In the shadow of Segments 22 and 23 between Lake City & Silverton.

I just finished 22-24 (and part of 21). You are above treeline for nearly the entire trip except for the drop to Spring Creek Pass and when you get into Elk Creek drainage near the Animas River. We hit one of the worst storms that I have ever hit on the CT once we descended west off of the ridge above Cuba Gulch (lightning, graupel, 50 mph winds, 10 AM, etc.). I have done these segments many times and this storm was one of the worst.

Treeline in the gulches can be a LONG way down. Be prepared for bad weather and have your gear ready as t-storms form quickly. I would suggest having your backpack cover on and rain gear READY. Realistically, you can't plan your days to get over the ridges in early morning as you are above treeline nearly the entire trip. But, try to plan to get over the high points early.

This year, I stayed at the CT Yurt, Cataract Lake, and Elk Creek Gulch from 22-24. Ron

I think we ALL agree that lighting is bad news. Read this article at the following link (http://www.pcta.org/wp-content/uploa...ningSafety.pdf) or cut/paste. One of the best and succinct lightning articles that will help with why and how lightning "works" and the "do's/don'ts." For example, most fatalities are from lateral strikes and ground current and not from direct strikes. A must read--good luck!

++ New Posts ++