WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb What In The Heck? A Thesis On Modern Trail Anxiety

I have been dodging any reply in many of the more unfortunate threads about the trail (and sadly, I keep finding more and more of them.) It seems that there is no end to the string of abuses, lunacy, and disrespect that is occurring on the trail. Sure, there will always be a few bad apples, but it seems that reading threads from just a few years old to the present show a terrifically disturbing trend.

For all of you past-thru's and section-vet's, I'm sure the results (and the actions that led to them) are disturbing on many levels. However, speaking as a "thru-in-planning" (2016) things like those suck even harder for some people (like myself) who have been waiting for this opportunity for a long time, only to see more and more pieces of our dream chipped away every year through a combination of unfortunate circumstances and arrogant, selfish, jack-asses!

I haven't kept up with a lot of news and happenings until just recently when my dream became a real possibility. In the last week I've read about the closing of the Blueberry patch (actually unclear on this one, but sad I'm going to miss the experience), the closing of the Palmerton Jailhouse, and the issues at BSP with AT hikers, just to name a few... In just one week my list of hopeful and suggested trail highlights has been whittled down just a little more. I'm actually afraid to do much more reading because I'm not sure I even want to know how much else I will find. Perhaps I should just log out and come back next year to see what's actually left to do or see along my hike.

Recently I found myself sitting in stunned silence after reading a guide (an actual full-blown tutorial) about how to be good guest if someone is blessed enough to be taken in for the evening by someone along the trail. Topics such as not washing your laundry in their shower, not playing your guitar at 3am, and not rummaging through their dresser drawers or closets are just a few of the many topics covered. Holy crap, these things even need to be said, much less provided in a succinct tutorial? If you need such a tutorial then you probably should never have even been allowed to leave your own house! Yet, the above issues and many more are apparently prevalent enough that they need to be pointed out.

Over the last week I have actually considered devising a hiking strategy based upon outpacing animosity. How sad is that? Yup, instead of pondering epic views and experiencing wonderful times my thoughts have begun morphing in to, "How can I get there before somebody else pisses them off this year?" or "How many places can I visit before somebody screws it up this year?" There will always be bad apples and even some who just don't know any better because they never bothered to visit a place like WB before setting out on their adventure. But 2016 will be different in yet another (possibly disturbing) regard... We now can add to all of the above -- getting lumped in to a movie-going, possibly misguided, probably ill-informed, wave of lost souls that assume Sony Pictures (or whoever) to be their destinal guide or the harbinger of truly great ideas, etc., etc., ad nauseam.

Everyday I get more anxious about this odyssey of mine. But it's not the same trepidation that many of the trail vets would recognize, i.e., bears, serial killers, and the tactical deployment of 514 precisely planned mail drops. What should be a beautiful montage of research, planning, and daydreaming has turned in to a sense of urgency and desperation to arrive while the trail itself still exists. My thoughts are daily turning more along the lines of wondering if BSP will even let me in next year or how many more significant trail attractions will be gone by then or should I wear a t-shirt proclaiming that I planned this trip long before some movie was made?

I understand that gossip, hyperbole, and sensationalism will always abound in any given topic of conversation. However, I'm not entirely sure that my current fears and dismay are unfounded today. Highlights of the trail are actually closing, people and towns are getting more and more irritated, and the population of inconsiderate (unwitting) trail stewards seems to be increasing every year.

I suppose this rant could have been posted by anyone within any period of time since the trail's inception. But this just happens to be the year I'm actually planning in. And also the year that Redford is scheduled to part the green sea. It seems I can only hope and pray to precede the masses of 2016 and hurry myself along to see or experience whatever is left of the trail before it finally devolves in to a 2,200 mile interstate path.

I expect the standard replies, agreements, criticisms, and irrelevant observations that naturally follow any posting of thought or opinion within an area of public discourse. But I'm also hoping and praying with every fiber of my being that some of the current and near-future visitors to that ephemeral green zone of love and beauty will find this posting at some point in time and maybe give just a little extra consideration to the actions they take and the impressions they leave behind.

~ Finis ~

Journal Entries

Wow, Google, what a post!
    It was very exciting to follow SJ's NOBO journey to Katahdin...but that was quickly followed by a series of still-active but tiring threads about the consequences of the publicity surrounding his record-setting pace, the rule-breaking at the summit, whether or not he dropped a cork, and how and when BSP will eventually deal with their frustrations.
    The euphoria over SJ's triumph has been squashed, replaced with depression and resignation.
    Like you, I'm thinking of how I need to modify our plans so that we don't get locked out of places we want to visit. Our 10-year section hike was supposed to end with the big climb at the northern terminus. But maybe we need to get that over with next year while we still can - IF we still can.

You will find the vast majority of hikers to be reasonable and thoughtful. Unfortunately the minority is very loud. The nice majority does not want to make waves and the unreasonable minority will not be squelched. As you have seen in the other threads, if you try to reason with the fringe you will be assailed with red herrings and details that have nothing to do with fixing anything. The minority will eventually ruin it for the majority and in the process blame the majority for being prudes. The majority seems to have adopted a short term solution Hezekiah attitude (see 2 Kings 20:19 if you are interested in the meaning). I care about the long term. It is not enough that I got to see it. The closing hostels are just a harbinger of things to come. My advise. Get out there soon. You won't see a ton of troublemakers. They are not that common. Their damage is great. Not enough are willing to stand up to them. Therefore, it won't last. Get out there soon. For my part, I gave up on those threads. They are all on ignore.

Now I await the pithy and constructive "Oh brother".
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

Dude you need to get outdoors pronto! Try SOBO or maybe do as I do and try section leapfrogging keeps me in the season away from the bubbles and in good graces with the trail.

If I felt like you did, I would be asking myself "why the AT?". Is the AT itself your goal, or can you be satisfied doing something else (PCT, CDT or something even less popular/populated)?

Images

G00gle, you have nailed what I've been railing to my computer screen for quite a while. I think SOME of the people who excuse any behavior are just trolling, but if you look at a lot of the ages, it seems (Socrates was right !!!) the younger you are, the more apt to allow anything and everything just because.

I tried to avoid shelters and hostels because I snore badly (or very well, depending on your point of view) and I can't sleep around other people snoring. However, I WOULD have liked to stop in at several hostels, just to say "Hi" and "Thank you" to the owners.

My (our?) T-shirt should read:
    1. Been planning since 1980
    2. Raised right - I'm polite
    3. Not entitled, just grateful
    4. I can afford it - been saving - Thanks anyway

I'm starting 29 Feb 2016 - hope to see you or be passed by you on the Trail
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by mak1277 View Post
    If I felt like you did, I would be asking myself "why the AT?". Is the AT itself your goal, or can you be satisfied doing something else (PCT, CDT or something even less popular/populated)?
    I think a similar thing is happening on the PCT as well. One of the long-time PCT trail angels was telling my mom (who is also a trail angel) that he thinks the era of hosting hikers in your house is coming to an end. I heard that an RV resort in So Cal has also said they won't host hikers anymore and cited bad hiker behavior for the reason. In my own experiences on the PCT -- I section hike a little every year -- it seems that trail culture is changing and that I don't really like the trail culture anymore, if I ever did. Individuals I meet are great, but there's a culture out there I'm not too interested in being a part of.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I had basically the same conversation with my friend this past weekend while hiking at Frozen Head (its puurty). Since he had no understanding of the situation he actually gave me some great perspective. Try not to get sucked up into the tornado of negativity that's occasionally here on WB or think you have to prove that you are or aren't anything to anyone.

We are all so incredibly lucky to have the time and resources to be able to hike. Especially those of us who have worked and saved and sacrificed for a such an awesome life experience. There are going to be an inevitable number of turds on the trail, teach them if they will listen, ignore them if they won't, and forget them when they are gone. Don't let the negative things you read color your view. It really is a beautiful trail, people can be and mostly are incredibly nice and giving, boy scouts are not the devils spawn, Baxter state park isn't officially closed as of yet, and while some places have closed think of all the other places that aren't. Be a good patron and help keep them open.

So put your perfect montage music on and get back to planning things that will bring you joy.

And your T-shirt idea isn't half bad.. I bet they would sell like sweet tea in 100 degree weather (I would like mine in black please)

Images

In my experience when it comes to cyber hiking it's easy to get worked up and the undies in a bunch over in inconsequential minutiae, and then discuss and debate it to death.

Hiking on the AT is quite a different reality than that painted here.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe View Post
    In my experience when it comes to cyber hiking it's easy to get worked up and the undies in a bunch over in inconsequential minutiae, and then discuss and debate it to death.

This. Just start hiking, it really is nice out there.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    ) that he thinks the era of hosting hikers in your house is coming to an end. I heard that an RV resort in So Cal has also said they won't host hikers anymore and cited bad hiker behavior for the reason.
    I tend to agree. Look for private businesses to take over...if, like the RV resort, do not get sick of hiker shenanigans.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

The CDT. SOBO. Before it is too late.

Wayne
    Looking toward the Rockies more and more.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I just spent a few days hiking the trail in Maine and New Hampshire. All the thru hikers we met were extremely nice and polite.

From what I saw the trail and thru hikers are cool. I would be happy to spend 5 months walking with them.

If I were you I'd stay away from the blogs and any threads that look controversial and concentrate on "gear questions" and "mental and physical preparation" threads. As a worrier myself I got through the pre hike anxieties by not committing to the hike until a month before hand then frantically getting my supplies together and not giving my self enough time to be anxious. There are a million different options on the trail, you can drive yourself nuts worrying about them, don't even worry about hostels or sight seeing along the trail, you will experience a lifetime of memories regardless of what you read!

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

That it is, fortunately! But I do tend to get worked up every time I hear of a hostel closing, or a quota system being proposed, or a trail easement lost. Dang it, I miss the view from Roemer High Point! (A lovely spot on a trail near here, where a landowner not only closed a trail but in so doing cut off trail access to a shelter on state land. Now that section is a nasty roadwalk without camping opportunites.)

Sometimes, we lose these things because of the bad behaviour of a vanishingly small minority of us. Just as often, it's simply because we're too numerous. I've been unconsciously avoiding the A-T lately simply because there are other places where the whole experience suits my temperament better (mostly because the people are fewer). I therefore wind up shouldering my share of the blame for the behaviour of the too-large horde of hikers. I am off hiking where it's quiet, rather than educating the hordes.

And yes, enjoy our treasure - respectfully - while it's still there. Because someday soon it won't be. It's being assaulted from many directions, and I don't think we have the power to hold the fort.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Again, this! Do not buy into all the naysaying and negative down talking and endless circular whining of self appointed pundits. Be aware you'll encounter more than a few right here on WB! They are on the trail too. They have been here throughout eternity. YOU NEED to overcome that low energy negative vibration to joyfully carry yourself forward on a thru-hike. Understand, the negativity often comes from ignorance - people who are not or have no experience as runners/ultra runners harshly criticizing those that are and what positives they can contribute, those who don't understand the GOODNESSS that thru-hikers and thru-hiking CAN represent making harsh dramatic blanket generalizations of all thru-hikers, those who aren't intimately involved with the management of BSP being harshly critical of BSP management, etc.

Lately, it seems everywhere in the main stream media someone is whining about something. Worse still is that the masses are tuning into this negativity low energy vibration allowing themselves to further be dragged into the whirlwind.

There is an antidote to being carried away in this negative energy. Approach your thru-hike in the moment finding ways to always be appreciative and grateful while demonstrating humility, patience, and tolerance walking in joy. You'll find as you remove yourself from a good amount of the world's system of fear, unbelief, and negativity by being on trail you'll have greater opportunities to sober up from this crap. You'll start seeing and thinking more clearly. This is one the most wonderful opportunities of a thru-hike! Take advantage of it!

YOU direct what you focus on. What you mainly focus on holding in your mind is what will be your reality. The greater you focus on all this negativity the more negativity you will notice while missing out on all the GOOD THINGS a thru-hike and Thru-Hikers can represent! You design your thru-hike the way you want. YOU consciously direct the state of your being. Don't cede it over to the mass negativity by default.

Here's a heartfelt suggestion I ask you to consider. Don't approach your thru-hike with apprehension and anxiety. Approach it with joy as a great opportunity to let your light shine. YOU can make a positive difference. Let your thru-hike represent NOT something as being a selfish endeavor but seek to unselfishly contribute. Seek to make the trail a better place. Seek to build up rather than tear down. Seek to encourage and inspire. Build bridges where you can. Look to heal rather than maim. Offer hope and wisdom rather than despair and ignorance. Increasingly FOCUS on developing and promoting these attributes and not only will you find yourself changing for the better but you'll also be changing the world for the better. Thru-hiking, and LIFE, is a wonderous opportunity IF YOU want it to be!

I've only hiked small sections of the AT in NH, but none of this has dissuaded me from keeping my thru hike (or long section hike) dream alive. Forums are great at times but things get blown out of proportion.

If anything I learned I should go SOBO and avoid shelters, or just hike outside the bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post

And yes, enjoy our treasure - respectfully - while it's still there. Because someday soon it won't be. It's being assaulted from many directions, and I don't think we have the power to hold the fort.
    I loath to disagree. As you have said many times, we likely are in violent agreement. I tend to believe we have the power to hold the fort. We cede that power every time we allow the fringe to have a seat at the table. I am convinced that the majority of hikers do the right thing. However, the minority goes unchecked because we turn a blind eye and don't make waves. Furthermore, I believe the majority of land owners, towns, and authorities are wiling to share. Because we tolerate the fringe, the previously mentioned groups are giving up tolerating the fringe. Each immature entitlement post should be met with 100 voices of reason. If it were, we would hold the fort. It appears the fort is not worth holding. I hear your voice. Like I say, we agree. Not enough do though. We can smile and pretend it is fine. Hostels are closing. Land owners are posting their land. Trail towns are getting peeved. There is a reason for this. Norman Vincent Peale is not going to fix this and only an ostrich thinks it does not need fixing.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 07-20-2015 at 15:07.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

If you're a Thru-hiker in planning I strongly suggest you read this: http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/THP_top.html
    It can make the difference from a medicare it's all about me possibly failed thru-hike or something that you and others can be inspired by.

Plenty of folks make it to the anticipated terminus of their hikes yet could have been more successful in many aspects.

not medicare ----- mediocre

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++